17% Transcendence Apr 18

The Stepford Wives Reviews

murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
Weird film. Creepy how they controlled them like that and it was a great fictional story.
jamers2011
jamers2011

January 31, 2011
The 1975 version is much better, but this version really surprised me. I had low expectations, but overall I enjoyed it. It's silly and cheesy in some parts, but it still has enough of the creepy elements to keep the audience interested. I prefer the dark mood of the old version more, but I thought the satire in this film was good. A different interpretation of the story is all. A good adaptation, overall. Very funny, i recommend it.
Conner R

November 19, 2009
Aside from a decent cast, this is a train wreck of a film. It is completely unmemorable and has little meaning aside from cheap laughs. It attempts to be a comedy, a horrible decision on the film maker's part. It could've been a decent remake, but it just became a failure. They just had no respect for the source material or the horror aspect. The feminism is too obvious and overdone. There is no real threat, it all seems to work out fine in the end. The husbands seem more like victims themselves rather than pathetic losers trying to make servant wives.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 14, 2007
Good re-make of original. Original was a lot darker. Doesn't everyone want the perfect wife? A couple retreat to suburbia to restore their marriage and concentrate on family life. Very quickly they notice the newcomers being brainwashed into stereotypes - the perfect wife, the men's club, etc. Good cast. Bette Midler is hilarious.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 24, 2009
LOL this was originally a horror film, no? This remake didn't exactly carry the same tune.
Dean !

December 31, 2006
An ok film with a great cast full of acting talent....but the story is just too predictable and a bit of a let down considering the acting talent on show here.
Megan S

January 17, 2009
Meh, it was okay. The ending was so hokey and the special effects were terrible.
Lady D

August 2, 2006
Ok, I had been warned off before watching, but I had to watch it, it was in an Ebay job lot that I?d bought. Despite some good Actors among the cast, it?s not a great film, in fact it?s quite a silly one, but I have to say as ridiculous as it was, I didn?t actually get bored watching it.
Lewis C

March 11, 2008
If you're not a huge Kidman fan, you don't have to regret skipping this one.
jagfire
jagfire

January 19, 2008
Provided a decent trip many years ago when I saw this
Alexander W

January 11, 2008
Updated, out of date cine-flick. Lavish storytelling with a sense of Adultery.
puffchunk
puffchunk

September 28, 2007
Not that great, even with Walken in it.
Rachel F

July 13, 2007
This is an odd movie but i liked it.
Lafe F

June 27, 2007
Absurd and unbelievable. This is a comic send-up of the original premise. There's not much horror here. It didn't need to be re-made, gosh-be-darn! The ending was a bit of a jaw-dropper.
Jennifer X

May 29, 2007
cheap, bland, and not believable. i did not sympathize with nicole kidman's character at ALL. totally wasted cast. this movie could have been stellar had the right director taken charge.
Jens S

April 29, 2007
Satire on feminisn, machos and the gender roles. While the cast has some really great names all doing a good job, the script lacks surprises, especially for those who already heard what the secret of the Stepford Wives is. The solution turns out to be very simple as well. Amusing, neither exciting nor boring.
Jason S

December 28, 2006
Really stupid and it felt as though the makers gave up about halfway through it.
Leigh R

November 7, 2006
It wasn't all that bad.
Lanning :

April 14, 2006
Do you ever wonder when -- at what point -- an actor or actress figures out he or she is in the middle of a disaster? I don't often think about this, but I do when I run across a movie like this one. I mean at what point did, say, a good actor like Matthew Broderick say to himself -- and I'm hoping he's smart enough to know this -- when did he say to himseilf, "Yikes! Why did I do this? I wonder if my career can take this kind of hit?" Walken doesn't lose in a stinker like this; I think in some ways he relishes doing the occasional bomb. He will always get parts. Folks like Lovitz look for scraps and will do anything anyway. Kidman, a sketchy actress at best, really has not much to lose. She's "in" now and the roles -- good, bad, indifferent -- will keep coming until her star has set. No, the big loser here is Glenn Close. Her career has not been in high gear for a good long while. She is in dire, desperate need of a string of roles that do something to resurrect her. This one is not going to help. When I think of moments like her brilliant shower scene in The Big Chill, and then see this, I weep for her. Because she is a very sharp and gifted woman, I weep for the moment she knew that this was yet another part that would further consign her to a career that runs only on fumes now. To end on a more postiive note, flixsters, do not let this one turn you off from trying the original. That one, with Katharine Ross, although more than 30 years old now, is still chillingly entertaining. A must-see for horror buffs.
neumdaddy
neumdaddy

September 26, 2004
[font=System][size=3][color=seagreen]Good evening. I am Agent D. Bauch. I am here representing a government agency (whose specific purpose is irrelevant) responsible for the voyages of a one Neumorado Sexington, one of the many circulating monikers of the more well-known Neum Daddy. The information that I am about to disclose is extremely confidential. But you are presumably his friends, so it is fair and logical that you all be alerted as well.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=System][size=3][color=seagreen]I regret to inform you that Mr. Daddy's current whereabouts are unknown, and the worst is feared, given the circumstances of his disappearance. However, we shall maintain an unflagging optimism as we search for our mutual missing party. Out of respect to Mr. Daddy's virtual relations, we wanted to inform you all of this grave situation.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=System][size=3][color=seagreen]To avoid further befuddlement, allow me to explain: Neum Daddy was commissioned by our agency to uncover several lost artifacts scattered throughout Europe (strictly for academic analysis, I assure you). We surmised that all artifacts were successfully secured by Neum Daddy, but days before we expected him to return in triumph, he vanished. He even fell beneath the radar of our field agents monitoring his progress. State-of-the-art tracking technology as modern as next week was enabled for this project for the sole purpose of safety. The fact that even the greatest tracking devices cannot detect him is most worrisome. We are taking the greatest measures to ensure recovery of the artifacts, and perchance Mr. Daddy as well.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=System][size=3][color=seagreen]If any of you have any information regarding Neum Daddy and his affairs in Europe, please let us know now. We will find out one way or the other eventually.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=System][size=3][color=seagreen]The only trace of Mr. Daddy that we managed to recover was a burned diary, documenting his daredevil trials of peril and intrepidity. Great risk and great reward were together achieved on his mission, and a faint glimpse of that can be seen through his entries. The following texts read as excerpts of a greater whole, but it is all that remains. Perhaps this will jog some memories of any potentially constructive clues you may have for this troubling, saddening enigma.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=System][size=3][color=seagreen]We all offer our most sincere condolences.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=System][size=3][color=seagreen]All excerpts shall be gradually revealed in their supposed chronological order.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=System][size=4][color=seagreen]The Diary of Neumorado Sexington:[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=black][i]4 September. 22:32. East London.[/i][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=black][i]Aside from the spurt of gothic Parliamentarian pinnacles overlooking the filthy Thames and the ornate and commemorative creepiness of the Abbey that sits behind it (and maybe a few other places), London offers no maintaining interest to me. I've passed through here more times than is probably healthy for even a conventional seat-of-the-pants adventurer, but the city still seems to strike me as the dying shopping mall of Europe. And the requisite complement to such a fledgling venue of civilization is the detestable fashion; London fashion is hideous. These stylishly-wayward denizens of this aging gray capital are sickeningly ostentatious with freedom of attire. I've discovered that too many are recklessly given carte blanche to dress themselves without proper supervision from the 'Fashion Scotland Yard.' Which explains why I had to use [u]both[/u] of my whips on the chirpy tramp who tried to seduce me earlier tonight through all that disgusting decoration. If I wasn't careful I might have been caught in an article of "clothing" resembling barbed wire.[/i][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=black][i]Unfortunately, she knew too much regarding the Tilting Monkey of Kidlington, and I lacked the hubris to resist prying open her bottle of information. The monkey must be found! Be it for the agency, whose bumbling[/i] [b][color=seagreen][THIS SECTION HAS BEEN CENSORED FOR SECURITY REASONS][/color][/b][i] or simply because humanity owes it to history to prevail over eternal mystery and defying the incohesiveness of our lost eras, I am determined. Why there is a monkey shrine in London of all places, the past may only know. But with a little elbow grease and archaeological acumen, I'll find out.[/i][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=black][i]Miss Skirtly-Indecorum proved more informative than I initially approximated, even if I had to remove all of her [/i][b][color=seagreen][REST OF ENTRY BURNED OFF][/color][/b][i].[/i][/color][/size][/font]

[font=System][size=3][color=seagreen]Further excerpts to be posted at a future date.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=System][size=3][color=#2e8b57]-Agent DB[/color][/size][/font]