—— The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Still Crazy Reviews

Anthony L

February 12, 2013
Not totally unlikable but it is another example of the crap 'Best British films...' of the late 90's. It's still better than The full Monty, the most overrated film of all time and it has a good story, it's just that the 'rock cliche' was done much better in Spinal Tap. I think with a few tweaks it could have been great, the cast was good (the accents less so), get rid of Rachael Stirling and her pointless story-line and swap Juliet Aubrey and Helena Bergström for better actresses and you'd be on to a winner.
Cindy I

September 30, 2007
I REALLY like this film. It's the story of a once-legendary 70's rock band called Strange Fruit who split acrimoniously and then are asked to reunite for a 20th anniversary concert. They are of course VERY rusty, as they all moved on outside the music business, and there are a lot of old wounds from their days together that are just scabbed over but not quite healed.

There's just so much about this to like I don't know where to start, but how about the cast. Everyone including Stephen Rea and Timothy Spall do a great job, but Bill Nighy stands out as the cocky lead singer who believes the whole band hates him because he replaced a beloved singer who OD'd years before. And Billy Connelly nearly steals the show as the roadie Hughie, who acts as a chorus for the action and a babysitter for the band. And Actor/Director/Screenwriter Bruce Robinson puts on the wearied and wounded rock star coat like he's been wearing it all his life.

The original music, while not quite Grammy quality, is a good fit and sounds like it could be 70's arena rock. And why not? It was written by such as Mick Jones and Jeff Lynne, not a bunch of idiot screenwriters who haven't listened to the radio since Glenn Miller. And the fact that the actors did their own singing just made things even better. The singing sounds a little rough, but I think that's the point. These guys are older and out of practice, and they should sound like it.

If you liked The Commitments, pair it up with this as a double feature. Some really funny scenes, along with some poignant ones as well, make this film a delight. "The Flame Still Burns".
Red L

August 7, 2007
What do you get when a has-been group of 70's rockers gets together again? A pretty good movie! You can imagine the unfinished conflicts that must be resolved.
garyX
garyX

March 7, 2007
This perfectly cast but weakly scripted affectionate portrait of a has-been 70s rock band trying to make a comeback suffers from the usual faults of british comedy ie it's far too formulaic and predictable; it's as middle of the road as the music it parodies.. However, it's still mildly amusing though never laugh out loud funny, but suffers greatly in comparison to the far superior This Is Spinal Tap.
Jason R

June 13, 2007
One of my all time favorite movies, and soundtracks. Which if you can find it, it's well worth the money. Just all around great cast, story, and that soundtrack! Man! One of the best I have ever heard.
tenebrous03
August 11, 2009
A horrid movie that tries to evince sympathy for profane, blasphemous, druggies who sleep around. It tries to be funny without much success and then tries to get serious with as little success. I wish I could get back the time I spent on this dreck.
the0high0end0of0low
January 18, 2009
british all the way,more a drama than a comedy;a dramedy if you will......awsome performances from all the actors.
a must see for all bill nighy fans...
June 8, 2007
Great movie, some things hit close to home for an aging musician.
Also any musician that has ever been on tour can relate with quite a few scenes in this movie.
This movie in many ways shows what touring is really like.
lavenderfawn
June 27, 2007
This movie, although it hasn't received a lot of notoriety, is really funny. A look at aging rock stars.
June 22, 2007
This one belongs along with Spinal Tap. But, Still Crazy rockets straight up because it is an inspiring movie, along with its comedy bits (which are stringed one after another), the characters have a depth that is to be admired, more so if you're a musician like me. A little tough to find as a DVD, grab it even if in VHS!. The soundtrack by the way is EXCELLENT!
nativesunljt
June 19, 2007
A really well done movie that is both dramatic and funny. Rea, Nighy, and Connolly were great in this film. The best film done about this subject and I am including Almost Famous. A brilliant surprise of a movie. Rock on.
mnemosyn
March 19, 2007
Still Crazy is a story about the attempt of a 70's rock band to make a comeback 20 years after splitting up. The plot is human, funny, and compelling, and the music (which the actors play and sing themselves) is both well written and well performed. I'd recommend this movie to just about anyone who likes rock.
walkietalkiefan
February 23, 2007
Much-overlooked but top-rate skewering of rock and its lifestyle, excesses and attitudes...and as a rock musician myself, I loved every minute of it.
omikan27
December 30, 2006
Bill Nighy captures the languid weariness of the former career hedonist in a performance clearly inspired by, oh, just about any surviving member of Led Zeppelin. Brilliant.
February 24, 2014
Good Movie...a surprisingly entertaining look into the 70's glam rock era. It's at times funny and dramatic...can have a truly humorous moment and in the next few minutes hit you with real raw drama. Was a lot of fun and "The Flame Still Burns" has to be one of the greatest little known songs I've ever heard! Well Done!
July 11, 2013
A terrific cast and witty script make this Brit flick funny and entertaining, with Bill Nighy playing a character much like the one he did in Love Actually, for which he got the Golden Globe. Very memorable and enjoyable.
July 7, 2013
A good film that shares an insight into Rock n Roll 70's. The film has some classic rock cliche and great comedy scenes. The characters are very good as are the main cast and Bill Nighy and Timothy Spall play great parts. Good Film 4 Stars
John W.
August 6, 2012
It seems so easy to draw comparisons to this movie - Eddie and the Cruisers, This Is Spinal Tap, any film where "we're putting the band back together". It shares elements with all of those, but it's a stand alone story in its own right. This is just one of those great movies where it all comes together. Great cast, excellent music, dialogue that rings true with every laugh. If you've somehow managed to not see this movie, change that now!
Jason R

June 13, 2007
October 15, 2011
Great cast, hard to watch in parts, the British Eddie and the Cruisers, except better in every way.