Stingray Sam - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stingray Sam Reviews

shitfaced8
February 22, 2011
An oddball Western/Sci-Fi/Dark Comedy/Musical. Shortlived TV show (not sure if it ever actually aired anywhere) that follows the adventures of Stingray Sam and Kuazar the Kid. In an effort to repay their debt to society this duo is to rescue a young girl who has been kiddnapped, and is being held on an affluent planet called Fredward. It got 3 stars for being unique, and unlike anything I've ever seen, but there really isn't much here for you to sink your teeth into. Worth a watch, but you probably won't feel the desire to re-watch this ever again.
½ February 10, 2014
Cute little six-episode series (ten minutes per, so an hour total) following Stingray Sam as he saves a girl who was kidnapped.

Two parts Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, one part They Might Be Giants, and one part Cowboy Bebop.

A technical upgrade over director Cory McAbee's first film, but still maintains the campy charm he throws in.
½ January 20, 2014
How can I resist this kind of quirky fun? I can't! Non-stop giddy packed into a single hour. I haven't had this kind of fun since David Byrne's "True Stories". Must see for indie freaks.
July 31, 2010
Some very catchy songs partnered with a bizarre sense of humor. Stingray Sam is like putting Zappa, Tom Waits, Sergio Leone and Kurt Vonnegut in a blender and hitting "liquify"
October 3, 2009
Its shot episodically... and once you buy into its universe, it is pure magic and hilarity 'til the end!
April 28, 2009
Someone has to give Corey McAbee the funding to make more than one film every nine years! Stingray Sam is a another unique and completely entertaining science fiction western musical comedy done in short segments as the Flash Gordon serials were...Here you follow Stingray and the Quasar Kid as scam their way in finding and rescuing a young girl (played to wide-eyed perfection by Willa Vy McAbee, daughter of Corey) and to bring her back to her father. Each segment features a song by McAbee's band American Astronaut and the songs do not disappoint. This is truly "event" filmmaking which I would gladly see anytime. I want more Stingray Sam!
March 11, 2014
Consistently weird and delightfully wonderful, this Cory McAbbe's masterpiece is noticeably warmer and life reassuring than his first hit The American Astronaut, yet still perhaps not for everyone. Featured songs like Little Shoes, Scottsy, The Captain fully deserve to be singles on their own.
½ February 10, 2014

½ January 20, 2014
½ May 30, 2013
98%

Bloody mad, genius. Not as good as THE AMERICAN ASTRONAUT, but darn near sunny boy.
½ May 4, 2013
Awesome, funny, and visually cool!
March 22, 2013
totally bizarre space western musical -- I did not even know about this sub genre! And just the secret hand shake is worth watching this (it may be the reason for making this in the first place.)
½ March 10, 2013
WOWEEE!! It's back to the 50's TV space operas. Gotta love it.
½ January 20, 2013
Billy Nayer Does it again. No astronaut, but still a stylized wonderland.
September 30, 2012
Interesante, que buen trabajo de collage y la música esta muy bien!
shitfaced8
February 22, 2011
October 31, 2010
This isn't as good as the American Astronaut but then again it's a serial made to not be watched in one sitting, right?

It's got some pretty similar themes though, no?

The songs are pretty neat.

And how the hell did they get David Hyde Pierce to narrate this? Magic? Did they call Frasier?

On a side note I saw this band live last week and they were awesome. Here's hoping The Werewolf Hunters of the Midwest is a step up from this. But it was fun.
October 19, 2010
I always give Cory McAbee 5 stars for awesomeness and imagination.
October 17, 2010
With "Stingray Sam," Cory McAbee takes the elements of his intriguing cult film/happening "The American Astronaut" - roughnecks in space, a Homeric journey, a cleverly and constantly-explained backstory - and imbues it with all of the humor that "Astronaut" lacked. That, however, was an art film and this is more like a Saturday serial, and McAbee alters his performance accordingly to match that of the perpetually persevering matinee hero. Offscreen, he's still the same resourceful, perversely imaginative creative force that he's always been, but by reining in all his wildest ideas he has crafted a better and sweeter film overall. What a difference a dad makes.
July 31, 2010