Stir Crazy Reviews

April 5, 2014
Harry Monroe: A hundred and twenty five years... Oh God... Oh God... I'll be a hundred and sixty-one when I get out.

"Two jailbirds who just want out of the cage."

I've always passed on watching Stir Crazy because a pairing of Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder didn't sound too great to me, but after thinking about it I thought it could be fun. I like Richard Pryor as a comedian a lot and Gene Wilder is a very good, over the top comedic actor. Although Stir Crazy is the duos second project, it's the only one I've seen and I have to say, it was a fun ride.

Skip and Harry are both fired from their jobs in New York on the same day, so they decide to head west to California to try to make it in Hollywood. They don't make it that far though when they stop in a town that Skip's really likes. When they are mistaken for two bank robbers, they are sentenced to 125 years in a maximum security prison. There may be a way out though and it relies on Skip's rodeo skills.

Stir Crazy is nothing to get too excited about, but overall it's a pleasant and funny comedy. I liked both Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder in it, both of whom looked like they were have a good time. Stir Crazy's worth a watch if you're into the two actors.
½ August 8, 2007
This has to be the best Wilder and Pryor combo by far, the sequences set at the beginning of their jail time is pure gold, it loses it at the end as the film progresses towards the surprisingly dull escape part of the plot but rest assured the rest of the film is hilarious. Wilder trying not to snap in prison is dynamite, Pryor was never quite as good as Wilder but he holds his own and is the perfect sidekick or foil. Poitier directs well but I don't think you could go wrong with this pair, its pretty their best film I think.
September 6, 2010
Hilarious movie, a classic starring comedy duo Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder. I love it, and I highly recommend it.
August 8, 2010
Pryor and Wilder, the perfect comedy duo, are funny as ever, mixing Wilder's zany antics, with Pryor's no nonsense form of social awareness. One of their best.
½ February 26, 2007
Two bumbling suburbanites are framed for bank robbery and sentenced to 125 years in a tough western penitentiary. This mildly amusing prison comedy certainly has some funny moments, especially during their initial incarceration and when the wardens turn the screws to bend them to the governor's will. This section in particular is quite a witty parody of prison movies and the chemistry between the two leads works well. The script however is paper thin, and once the "plot" kicks in, the laughs quickly evaporate, leaving a clumsy hotch-potch of red neck rodeo, corny romance and escape movie. It's a real shame because Richard Pryor was such an immense comic talent and yet all his attempts at big screen comedy fell completely flat; this is probably the best of a very sorry bunch.
January 12, 2007
Another funny Wilder, Pryor comedy.
August 15, 2007
A classic prison comedy with Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. There are some great scenes of them adjusting to jail life. These two clowns make it a fun stay in a harsh environment.
September 2, 2012
Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor get wild and crazy in the screwball comedy Stir Crazy. The story follows two New Yorkers that leave the city looking for new opportunities, but end up in the Arizona State Penitentiary framed for a crime that they didn't commit. Wilder and Pryor are in great form and bring the comedy. However, the plot is rather weak, with some odd tangents that detract from the overall story. Yet, you'd have to be crazy not to enjoy Stir Crazy; it's a lot of fun and is full of laughs.
November 21, 2010
I'm bad! No shit!
June 13, 2008
Two men are sent to prison for a crime they didn't commit. The fact that the two men are played by Pryor and Wilder tells you everything you need to know. There are plenty of laughs (nobody can swear like Pryor), a love interest, a villain and it all ends happily.
June 27, 2009
Richard Pryor is GREAT, Gene Wilder is a perfect partner for him and this film was funny.
½ January 22, 2009
Good fun. Although the plot is a little on the thin side, the wonderful chemistry between the 2 leads gave the movie plenty of memorable moments. The scene when they enter the local prison and try to act tough, was my favourite.
½ January 1, 2009
this is one i havent seen in a long long time, A very funny movie as i remember it.
May 31, 2008
Flat out enjoyable movie. The Pryor Wilder combo is one of the best in movie and comedy history a true classic.
½ March 7, 2008
Great movie! Hilarious.
May 12, 2007
I would watch this again now.......pillow...pillow...brilliant
½ February 22, 2010
Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor aren't as funny together as you would think. From their movies I've seen I've never really thought that they worked well as a comedy team. Stir Crazy is just another run-of-the-mill movie. (First and only viewing - 7/22/2015)
June 7, 2013
Barely funny "comedy" that leaves the great duo of Pryor and Wilder literally fending for themselves. Given little to work with by an almost laugh-free script, our two stars try as hard as they can to provide laughs on their own. But, little can be done. Plus, the movie is 20 minutes overlong at least. Sidney Poitier's presence isn't felt at all. He just gets his shots done and that's it. Very disappointing. And, a tremendous waste of talent.
½ January 20, 2012
After the first fifteen minutes, the movie starts to really work.The last scene isn't needed but at that point it really doesn't matter. Once they get to prison this movie takes off. The two stars are a joy to watch together and while the jokes aren't groundbreaking comedy, they work well for this movie. The best laughs come from how Wilder and Pryer react to those around them. I also liked the scenes where they try to break Wilder's spirit. I had a good time. Recommend.
½ December 4, 2011
Classic! Wilder and Pryor makes a perfect combination of hilarious and crazy comedy, you can't hate this movie.