Stoked: The Rise and Fall of Gator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stoked: The Rise and Fall of Gator Reviews

½ July 31, 2008
Gator the rise and fall of Gator is just one of those documentaries that even if you arent into the subject matter will keep your fall attention from the first shot to the last this documentary follows the story of 80's vert skater Mark *gator* Rogowski who let fame and drugs spiral his life out of control untill the fateful day when he was convicted of murdering his a girl he knew of course as with most documentary's ull see interviews by the people that knew him and stuff from gator himself really worth a watch
½ July 11, 2008
The synopsis says it all: The rise and fall of 80's vert skateboard legend Mark 'Gator' Rogowski.
November 12, 2013
Very good documentary showing the darker side of fame and its influence on a fragile yet explosive personality.
December 19, 2010
This documentary should keep you interested whether you care anything about skateboarding or not. A sad true story of a young skateboard legend, who along with Tony Hawk ruled the sport from its crux. He gradually lost control of his life in the midst of all the fame, drugs, alcohol, women, and his ever-changing new sport. He made one additional really bad choice. If you love documentaries or the skate/punk scene, you've gotta check this one out. It's full of tons of original skate footage and interviews and gives a great glimpse of an era.
February 11, 2010
A very entertaining documentary about Mark "Gator" Rogowski. It was really kind of sad to see where Mark Rogowski and others have gone since the whole change in the skate industry in the early 90's.
June 11, 2008
Helen Stickler's brilliantly directed documentary on legendary vert ramp skater Mark "Gator" Rogowski whose rise to fame came crashing down after being convicted of the brutal murder of his girlfriend. I grew up in that part of North San Diego in the early to late 80's, so this film's skate footage and locales brought back memories for me of the places we roamed and people we idolized. Great sleeper film that I believe is comparable to Peralta's masterpiece Dogtown and the Z-Boys but 80's style.
January 7, 2008
good doc about how skateboarding has changed over time, using the story of Gator as a parable. for skaters and non-skaters (me) alike
November 21, 2005
This was a great documentary that did a really great job of telling a very compelling story. While at times the story strayed from its main plot it was very well done.
January 24, 2005
Although I have never been a skater, I have known quite a few. This documentary tells the tragic tale of Gator. One of the first star skaters. Very interesting because I had never even heard of him. Recommended!! I had no idea where this documentary was going to take me and when it did I was dumb founded.
November 18, 2015
Really about the changes in the skate scene and its commercialisation, and although it follows Gator through this, actual insights are few and far between. When the tragic end arrives, fair dues, no punches are pulled, but this only emphasises the failure to get under his skin to any significant degree - we know little more than if we'd never heard of skateboarding and had just read a news article reporting on his court appearance. Certainly an important cautionary tale, but a disappointing biography.
August 12, 2013
An amazing look at gators life the 1080s skate boarder who lost his mind when vert skating went out and street came in. This movie and the movie dog town and z boys help illustrate a picture of how skateboarding was formed but where stoked breaks off from that is the fact that it examines only one persons life. Mark (Gator) Rogowski is examined from his early years to his celeb skate status in the mid to late 80s and then to his eventual downfall this a documentary you don't want to miss
November 12, 2013
January 21, 2013
great doc brought back the eighties 4 me
November 16, 2011
This might be a 5 star movie. I need to let it soak in a little before I decide. Just totally fucking awesome and deliciously 80's. Completely love the biographical type documentaries with no agenda, blatant character bashing, or total disregard for the truth. Nothing more than an amazing story about a real person that completely captivates you.
½ May 22, 2011
awesome doc on Gator. sad ending to a dope career. see you in 2022ish
December 19, 2010
½ July 31, 2008
May 16, 2010
Cautionary tale of skateboarding talent "Gator" Rogowski who skyrocketed to fame in the 80s, only to self-destruct when new styles and skaters moved in. A good portrait of the sport and the era, mainly through clips of Rogowski made at the time, and a large number of interviews with his peers after the dust had settled.