43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

Stop-Loss Reviews

hunterjt13
hunterjt13

July 13, 2012
A solider, whose tour of duty in Iraq is over, is victim to a government policy that denies him his release.
The central dramatic conflict about whether this solider should return to Iraq is a compelling and complex issue, and director Kimberly Pierce treats it with the gravity it deserves, presenting sides that would appeal to most left-leaning peacenics and most veterans of the war. I also think the PTSD was presented well with King being functional most of the time until situations bring back the worst of his time there.
However, Channing Tatum is awful, clearly trying too hard to be a "serious dramatic actor." The film also diverts from the principle conflict, as King visits the family of a dead solider and another soldier in the hospital; it seems like these scenes relate more to Pierce's politically motivated desire to capture all sides of the conflict rather than tell the story. Finally, the beginning of the film is structured like a bad episode of The Real World, as though Pierce realized she was working for MTV and needed to buoy her Gen X kudos.
Overall, this is a good, important story even if the filmmaking isn't all it can be.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

September 2, 2011
Stop Loss is one incredible drama film. With an incredible cast at hand, director Kimberly Peirce tells the story of an Iraq war veteran which because of the Stop Loss policy of the U.S Military, is forced to stay in the military against his will. Stop Loss is a brilliant film that exposes the ludicrous Stop Loss policy. Starring Ryan Phillipe, in what I consider the best performance of his career, Joseph Gordon-Levitt delivers a great performance as well. Stop Loss is a well paced drama film with an important story. Of all the films that Ryan Phillippe has done, none has come close to Stop Loss. This is a powerful film that is superbly well done. Kimberly Peirce follows up her debut feature film, Boys Don't Cry with this intense war drama. The film at times struggles with its material, but it gets the point across and the film, I think is significant as a picture that embodies the nature of service men everywhere. Watching this film, you realize what these men go through and what they sacrifice in the process and it makes you appreciate what they do that much more. If you enjoy a good drama/war film, then Stop Loss is the film for you. Stop Loss manages to be a terrific, emotional journey for one soldier who is conflicted with doing the right thing. A phenomenal, and different war film. I think Stop Loss delivers a refreshing dramatic experience while using the Iraq War as backdrop for its story. A very underrated film, and one that shouldn't be missed.
familiar s

March 22, 2009
I hope that there's more to "Stop Loss" than what's depicted in this movie. It's disturbing that one is left helpless and with no option when On returning home after serving for about 5 years in Iraq, the protagonist doesn't intend to go back. He's taken aback when he's told that, being stop-lossed, he'll have to leave for Iraq again soon. He's offered no other favorable option. He's not willing to accept this, and goes AWOL to make efforts to get out of this situation.

A person volunteers to serve for his nation, does his duty for several years loyally and returns. What's wrong if he doesn't wish to go back? How fair is it to make one so helpless? I hope that the "stop loss" provides reasonable options, and doesn't just enforce anyone who's unwilling to go.
Daniel P

May 1, 2011
It's been a long time since I've seen an MTV Film, and this one was better than most that I remember. It was a little too glossy and angsty to take seriously in some places, but overall I thought it was a sensitive and gripping story about friendship and trauma. In a way it writes itself into a corner: neither potential ending would be completely satisfying. Unfortunately, that's the reality of stop-loss: the stats at the end of the film show that 15% of troops (through the end of its production) were forced back to the front. This is a sad and important story, regardless of whether it's a great film or not, and if you don't want to watch this movie, fair enough, but promise you'll read a book about this policy, ok?
Anthony L

November 29, 2010
Stop Loss highlights one of the many problems of war, the way our solders are treated. Spoken of as heroes but totally taken advantage of. I was unaware of the Stop Loss clause so good on the makers for bringing it to the public's attention. It also highlighted the social and mental issues that solders have on their return into society. It's a little known fact that more American solders have committed suicide on their return home than have actually died in action - a shocking revelation. This is definitely not an action war film and although it's not based on actual events, it raises very real issues that can't be ignored. A real stand alone war film of recent years, well directed by Kimberly Peirce.
Leigh R

October 6, 2008
This movie takes your mind, heart, and soul then runs away on an adventure into the big bad world of war. Fantastic actors filling fantastic roles, a storyline that literally blows you away, and a fight for what is right. What can go wrong, right?
Eric S

May 25, 2010
Talk about a film that's been overlooked!
"Stop-Loss" is an intense look at a group of soldiers who return home from a tour in Iraq. The nightmare doesn't only lay on the battlefields, but on the home turf of the distraught sodiers trying to put the pieces together in their minds, and re-establish their lives which is clearly by no means an easy task after what they've been through and witnessed.
This film rivals "The Hurt Locker", but delves more into the relationships between the soldiers, their girlfriends back in their Texas hometown, and situations between other individuals that presents the question of why they are protecting people who in some cases give them nothing but trouble.
Ryan Phillippe is an actor who has not been given the credit he so well deserves, and turns in yet another brilliant performance in this film revolving around a soldier being pulled back into duty to places where the chances of returning home in one piece or even at all are quite slim.
KJ P

January 13, 2010
Many people have not seen this film, and they have no idea what they are missing! Truely an amazing film! One of the best films ever made, and with twists that will have even people against war films cheering. This film delivers amazing performances by every single cast member for once, and I would not change a second of this film!
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

June 8, 2009
Ryan Phillippe, Channing Tatum, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Timothy Olyphant, Rob Brown, Abbie Cornish, Linda Emond, Ciaran Hinds

DIRECTED BY: Kimberly Peirce

Decorated Iraq war hero Sgt. Brandon King makes a celebrated return to his small Texas hometown following his tour of duty. Brandon tries to resume the life he left behind with the help and support of his family and his best friend, Steve Shriver, who served with him in Iraq. Alongside their war-time buddies, Brandon and Steve try to make peace with civilian life. Then, against Brandon?s will, the Army orders him back to duty in Iraq. This upends Brandon?s entire world. The conflict into which he is thrown tests everything he believes in: the bond of family, the loyalty of friendship, the limits of love, and the value of honor.

I always state how I don't care for war movie's, but yet I keep finding myself watching them. Even more surprising I like most of the ones I see. I guess I am just finally watching the good one's like Stop-Loss. This movie shows us how war can extend a soldiers term by using the Stop-Loss policy. Great performances from the three leads Ryan, Channing, and Levitt. The one who sticks out for me the most is Levitt. More likely because his character was so haunting. He really knows how to bring a character to life. It's a great story that gives some unknowing people of the war another insight to what it's like. Great movie.
Red L

September 28, 2009
I am not really into war movies. However, Stop-Loss kept me watching to the bitter end. It deals with the inhumanity of war, of soldiers trying to fit back into civilian life, and with the American government's Stop-loss program - a program to keep soldiers in the war beyond even when their tour of duty should be over.

I found the ending disappointing and a let-down.
Luke B

August 11, 2009
It's an enlightening film but doesn't really express it's ideas in the most eloquent of ways. When a character yells out "Fuck the President!" Subtlety slides out the back door without making a sound. Levitt and Tatum give great performances and Phillipe is a strong anchor. His character being conflicted and betrayed after serving his term and then being drafted back. Peirce has lost some of her ferocity since Boys Don't Cry resulting in Levitt's and Tatum's familiar character defects of an alcoholic and a man prone to violence. Surely war can mess people up more than this. In an ideal film, we would have got more of Phillipe before being stop-lossed, which would have made for a more interesting comparison between a patriotic volunteer and an angry, betrayed man.
Al S

November 29, 2007
An intense and hard-hitting movie. It's thrilling, riveting and moving. It hits all the right notes with the characters and their emotions. Ryan Phillippe is electrifying. Channing Tatum is riveting. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is teriffic.
Thomas J

March 26, 2008
Tough subject to review. The acting is good, but in all political topic movies, it only shows the problem! It makes aware the issue, but sadly knowing the problem doesn't help offer a solution! Can't recommend this movie, but from redbox for $1, definitely a way to pass about 2 hours!
deano
deano

March 26, 2008
Interesting arrest drama of a young soldier who has been 'stop-lossed' in order for another tour of duty and goes on the run. Director Kimberley Peirce previously helmed the equally powerful Boys Don't Cry and continues her commitment to human drama and topical issues here.
She fixes on those young soldiers that, upon serving their country in Iraq, are forced back into enemy territory for another service of duty. Most, as I can understand, aren't doing a jig about returning to the battlefields - and some even flee so they don't have to.
Julie B

March 24, 2008
Fairly well-done look at the psychological devestation of war.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

December 26, 2008
The Comment I make will be short. This is the REAL DEAL. Anyone who has a loved one in the military needs to see this. Wheather you support the war or not is of very liitlle importance. But always and I mean always support the American Fighting Man & Women. To my brothers who are presently in the military serving there country, I thank you for everyday that I am allowed to wake up knowing that your keeping me safe. I am also sorry that the Goverment will no longer let me stand by your side. The Movie 5 Stars and yes you do need to see it.
Bobby H

November 7, 2008
Stop-Loss is a typical war film from Hollywood. Although it's more focusing on the after-math rather then the, while there. This movie does the best at showing how families may suffer, how homelifes may be destroyed, and what beyond military life could turn out like. This does not mean that it happens to everyone, but it shows a sacrifice that many are willing to risk - beyond there life's physically but there life's emotionally and as they know it.

The actors all do an awesome job and the movie can get very emotional at times.

Negatives: From beginning-to-end where does this movie go? Basically right back to the beginning. There might as well be no ending and it does not conclude well. It's basically a shot into there lives and then a shot out. The message the the movie is trying to get out "Stop Loss" really only gets heard during the final credits and a few splurges in the movie. Other then that, it's just a bunch of random events occuring for whatever reasons the writers thought. This obviously keeps it from being a five star movie but if you go into this movie ignoring what you think you may get out of it - and focus on the life that soldiers sacrifice each time one enlist then you may see another top notch war movie.
gor41
gor41

October 25, 2008
Po faced and worthy study of the effects of war on the ordinary grunts with a fine performance from Phillippe. Cornish can't handle a texas accent and Levitt continues his body of tortured souls. Sorely lacking in anything very original to say, unfortunately.
Dan S

July 21, 2008
An uneffective, poorly plotted film that starts with a bang but whimpers along down a sad and uncaring road. While Phillippe and Gordon-Levitt give both fine performances, Channing Tatum needs to learn how to act, this guy can't convince a crowd he's for real, and I didn't believe in one thing his character said or did. Its too bad a touching and compelling ending is wasted on a movie with such a whiny and typical anti-war message that doesn't hit home.
Nani V