20% The Identical Sep 05

—— Sullivan & Son: Season 3

Stories We Tell Reviews

Carlos M

March 29, 2014
Polley surprises us with the brave, unreserved way in which she exposes her family's secrets while trying to extract a meaning from her quest, even if she does not seem to know exactly how to end it, going a bit longer beyond what would have been its better conclusion.
c0mb0
March 30, 2014
Utterly pretentious, it's just plain boring, I just kept waiting for it to become interesting.
ayron.
March 27, 2014
Stories We Tell, although a little bit boring in places, is a pleasant, charmingly presented documentary that sincerely explores themes of memory and storytelling, and unfolds a story of its own with skill.
Lilwookiee
March 24, 2014
Surprisingly profound and affecting.
March 20, 2014
Overly long, self indulgent, boring and smarmy. In the end who cares on your vagueries of truth theories Ms. Polley?
March 10, 2014
A remarkable documentary about family, regret, forgiveness, and the inevitability of brokenness.
June 27, 2013
As a documentaries go, this story could have better been summed up in a short (<40 minute) as opposed to a full length. A lot of information was unnecessarily redundant and irrelevant, and the subject matter was not interesting enough for a full length movie.
February 27, 2014
This documentary is so autobiographical and candid it hurts. Actress/director Sarah Polley bravely showcases the story of her mother's life, the men she loved and the children she raised with such reckless abandon that it borders upon airing dirty laundry. But in the end she made a very honest and genre-defining piece of work. It's a pity it wasn't nominated for the Best Feature-Length Documentary Oscar.
March 2, 2014
Sarah Polleyn hieno dokumentti perheestään! Hauska ja koskettava.
couchfestfilms
February 28, 2014
It's okay...but it feels too much like a film by a filmmaker for filmmakers. It has emotional moments but they seem trapped behind a filmmaker's formula for making a movie. It's okay. It feels genuine. But, the mood and style also feels too familiar.
February 28, 2014
Beautiful and engaging.
February 3, 2013
Intimate weaving of complex narrative making me realize how important our own personal histories are! Must see!
February 6, 2014
Very personal and well made documentary about Sarah Polley's family. It almost feels too personal at times.
cappieforpresident
December 5, 2013
I watched it for 10 minutes, but I was bored out of my mind, so I quit watching it.
February 1, 2014
Much like Sarah Polley's previous film--"Take This Waltz"--"Stories We Tell" can't seem to shake the sense that it's little more than an earnest, unrestrained film school project.
January 29, 2014
A riveting documentary that feels like a mystery. Sarah Polley has made an incredible film about her family and how their lives have intersected. If this were a novel, you wouldn't be able to put it down.
FilmGrinder S.
May 10, 2013
75%

Sorry Ms Polly, but my family's story is more interesting. But, kudos, for making a little cash off your story.
January 28, 2014
You can't escape the feeling that this is The Story I Can Tell... but nonetheless funny and poignant. But not as good as it (or some of the critics) thinks it is.
January 27, 2014
A movie can't get more personal than this I guess. Although I'm quite disappointed to learn that all those shots are not original footages. This is such an interesting story, told in an interesting way.
January 26, 2014
It's so poignant to see how Diane Polley permeates every frame of this film, despite the fact she's the only main player not able to be interviewed on her own life. It's heartbreaking to see how much her loss has deeply affected all those left behind to fill in the blanks for themselves, as best they can.

I loved Polley's angle on this, her framing device of the subjectivity of memory, and how we truly can never know a person, even one we are very, very close to.

Similarly, Polley's love for Michael Polley is so evident throughout, it made my heart hurt. I may have cried on more than one occasion.