—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Stormbreaker (Alex Rider: Operation Stormbreaker) Reviews

Anthony L

November 28, 2011
It's sometimes hard to review a film that is meant for a much younger age group so I can only try to think like the 12 year old me. Yup, I still hate it. When I was younger, I'd watch the James Bond films, I may not have understood all of them but I still enjoyed them. I would never have liked this due to the unlikelihood of a child becoming a spy, James Bond going into space was fine though. Seriously though, I disliked this film immensely.
TomBowler
TomBowler

August 21, 2010
Fun enough but nothing amazing. Full review later.
KJ P

January 13, 2010
It was very disappointing!
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

September 10, 2008
Nadia Vole: "You are ze first child to experience ze power... ze vorld domination, of ze Stormbreaker. Zis model has already been loaded vis highly developed programs for all aspects of ze school curricular."

An outwardly ordinary orphaned teenager student Alex Rider who lives with his uncle, a boring bank manager, or so it seems until his uncle, Ian Rider, disappears under mysterious circumstances. He finds himself suddenly thrust into extraordinary circumstances upon discovering that his entire youth was part of an elaborate plan to create the perfect super spy. Recruited by Mr. Blunt and Mrs. Jones, and armed with special gadgets, he embarks on his first mission. Billionaire Darrius Sayle is donating a free Stormbreaker mega-computer to every school in Britain. But is there more to his generosity than meets the eye? Going undercover, he infiltrates Sayle's compound. He meets the tycoon's sinister sidekicks, vixen publicist Nadia Vole and the disfigured mute Mr. Grin, and tests out the impressive and secretive Stormbreaker computer. While exploring a restricted area, Alex begins to figure out the mysterious Stormbreakers--he knows he's onto something big. Suddenly, Sayle and his evil henchmen capture Alex. Using his cunning and his MI6 gadgets, Alex manages to escape. He hitches a ride to London to stop Sayle from activating the Stormbreakers and releasing their secret weapon throughout Britain. But time is running out. With the help of his housekeeper Jack Starbright and his friend Sabina Pleasure, Alex takes Sayle head-on in a dangerous race against time to stop the evil plan. Within days he's gone from schoolboy to super spy, but will his first assignment be his last?

I like action, don't get me wrong. I'm a die hard Die Hard fan, I dig Rambo and his killer mullet and I love Bond, James Bond. But sometimes the action genre only works to a certain extent well for example, if a 14 year old kid turns into a super spy and the fate of the whole world rests on his pre-pubescent stubby little hands, then I think we have a problem.

This film is exactly just like that. And I may be alone in this one, maybe not but I think, 14 year old tweens belongs in the school, not in some high class evil lair butting heads with a has been punk rocker Mickey Rourke.

It didn't work with Cody Banks and I'm sad to say it didn't work here either. The main problem of this film is that its trying so hard to be a high espionage actioner that it completely forgets that for an action film to work, the story must be on the same level as the action. This one however goes the other way around, it has so much action that the story was completely forgotten.

However, everything is not all that bad. Save for a couple of cool action scenes and Bill Nighy. After that, its sad to say everything goes downhill.

2/5
ebs90
ebs90

September 4, 2008
Torture. I still don't know why I agreed to watch it, peer pressure maybe. Clicheed storyline, awful score, even more awful acting. Predictable, superficial. Every other adjective for "bad" u can think of. Give this money to Werner Herzog. Bye
Red L

February 12, 2008
I didn't like it. It would have been fine if I was 16 and female (sorry for the sexist comment).
Jason S

December 28, 2006
Pretty basic and a little out there on the realistic scale. Entertaining though. I can see my kid liking this in a few years.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 14, 2007
u thought it was reli reli gd funny and action shame ewan mgregor didnt stay in it too long but it was gd and very adventure fun
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

May 30, 2007
A really dissapointing movie.... I hope this movie can entertain me a little bit, but it just can't. The story wasn't great... They didn't prepare the script well even it is an adaptation movie... And the action, hopes a lot more action... But, just forget the Young James Bond thing, because this movie is too far for that...
deano
deano

February 18, 2007
A young British agent is okay in his own adventure since Agent Cody Banks. But I like Alicia Silverstone's character because she's a bit hilarious and cool in action against a female villiainous.
Dean !

December 31, 2006
A teenage Jame Bond in the making.
Roy G

November 20, 2006
With all the charm of the early James Bond movies and all the heart-stopping chase scenes of the contemporary spy series Stormbreaker gets the balance right
Fascade F

May 16, 2007
This movie wasn't too bad for a premium kid's spy adventure!! Wondering what ever happened to his Uncle (Ewan McGregor) Ian Rider, when her mysteriously turns up dead...Young nephew (Alex Pettyfer) Alex Rider is thrown into an investigation to find out what "Stormrider" actually is. as he looks further into the midst of what this computer company is actually about he finds some shady dealings through the owner(Mickey Rourke) Darrius Sayles who used to be classmates with the Prime Minister (Robby Coltrane), whom he secretly despises. So to remedy his position on his secret hatred, Darrius Sayles decides to launch a world domination scheme which Alex Rider is destined to stop...by all means as well as find out who is responsible for his uncle's untimely passing. For what it is worth, seeing this movie will keep you in suspense until the very end.
SC007
SC007

February 7, 2009
This was a big disappointment considering that the film has a great ensemble of actors. The film feels more like a rip off of films like Spy Kids and Agent Cody Banks. Alicia Silverstone and Missi Pyle seem out of place in this film. From watching this film, I could see Mickey Rourke playing a great villain in the Iron Man 2 sequel. Overall, if you want to see a kid's spy film, check out Spy Kids.
Lauren D

January 25, 2007
I happened to be sitting at the table when my brother was watching this, as such watched most of it (I think I was studying maths). I hate movies with a 'kid' as the main character and it was just boring and gay anyway.
mingsysar
mingsysar

August 15, 2006
A surprisingly good spy film for kids. Some of the performances are dreadful, what is Mickey Rourke doing? I was disappointed though as I wanted more Ewan McGregor.
Matthew A

April 20, 2007
Not a bad action and some funny moments, but overall it wasn't very much of my type of movie. Plus I didn't read the book. I'd say it's just about an average action flick for teens and kids.
johnattridge
johnattridge

August 22, 2007
There are several problems here, none of which the likes of Bill Nighy, Sophie Okendo, Robbie Coltrane, Mickey Rourke or even Ewan McGregor can be enough to salvage the film. The lead star causes the most confusion - he may look the part a a teenage spy but he certainly cannot act. Like the film he is transparent and dull, everything laid out on the surface with no depth whatsoever. The screenplay is awful, the mudane "plot" (A medical virus in a computer system to kill the world - need I say more?) bringing no energy or focus, and none of the actors seem to have characters - it's like they all wrote three words to describe their personalities and just acted those words out. Nothing plays out as it should do, no emotion or suspense, and the action sequences lack any adrenaline or excitement due to such poor direction - it's all rather lame. At one minute the film thinks itself a kiddies action-comedy flick, the next a serious spy thriller - it's an insult to both audiences either way. With it's cast of A-List actors and such promising advertisements, this is a real disappointment.
Deckard42
November 30, 2011
Imagine reading a good book, one that you love and cherish. Then imagine watching that book getting transformed into an awful movie. Depressing, right?
jenslack18
October 19, 2013
Bizarre and not remotely like the books. Everything seemed strangely plastic and artificial in a world that should have felt dark and gritty. Not impressed.