—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Straight Story Reviews

Carlos M

August 13, 2013
An unusually straightforward and delicate film by David Lynch that calls for a bit of patience from the viewer but proves to be extremely moving and more than rewarding - and Richard Farnsworth is just wonderful, a world of emotions conveyed in every detail of his face and expression.
Jens S

July 16, 2006
A David Lynch movie without murder, switched personalities, inner monologues or even the slightest hint of cynicism? Unbelievable? Indeed. And yet that's exactly what he delivered here with the heart-warming story of an old man traveling 500 miles on a lawnmower to see his ill brother. Of course the film is as slow as that sounds, but still so refreshingly kind-hearted, sweet and entertaining. Alvin Straight, incredibly convincing and lovably portrayed by the late Richard Farnsworth, meets people on the road and shares his experience with them. It is his face that stays with you long after the film, as well as the beautiful images of the fields he travels along, while the fiddles hum their Americana sounds. A beautiful, rewarding and deeply humane feel-good story that deserves all the praise it got.
Lucas M

April 26, 2012
A moving and interesting Lynch's film, a portrait about family, love and forgiven. An odyssey with rare characters and nice stories. The Straight Story could be a slow, strange (because doesn't present the characterist of a David Lynch film) and sentimental, but it's a good picture to watch.
Graham J

November 10, 2011
This surprise G-rated, heartwarming family film from director David Lynch stands up to any of his surreal masterpieces. Amazing performances from Farnsworth and Sissy Spaceck and great supporting roles (including a good scene with Twin Peaks star Everett McGill). Also a uncharacteristic but outstanding score from Angelo Badelamenti.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
Is this seriously from David Lynch? I think he just put his name on it to make our heads spin. I found this film horribly boring, uninteresting, and bland. Plus it's rated G? Why? Oh I wish I could go back to 1999 and not watch this... Well, maybe if you like slow, slice of life, old people dramas, you'll enjoy it?
Nicki M

January 17, 2008
Had to let a day lapse after seeing this one so I could digest what I actually thought of it!
I have to admit, was not overly enthralled while watching it. The story is very slight - Elderly Alvin (Richard Famsworth) wants to visit his estranged brother who has just recovered from a stroke and whom he hasn't seen in ten years. The only problem is, he doesn't have a lot of money and with his failing eyesight he doesn't have a licence, so Alvin decides to improvise by driving his lawnmower for six weeks. This is apparently based on a true story.
It is a Disney film, which surprised me, I think kids trying to watch this would be beside themselves with boredom - I know I certainly was at times, despite being impressed by the acting and the filming with all the shots of the country and he rode along.
I think I appreciated this one more afterwards than at the time. It is a nice little story with a good cast and message. Just don't be expecting to be overly excited while watching it. I think this is more a film that will grow on you than one you will love instantly.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

July 26, 2007
Captivating biopic by the ever-artful David Lynch. Wonderful acting from Richard Farnsworth, who is a real charmer as the stubborn and sympathetic Alvin Straight. I wish they hadn't included Sissy Spacek in the movie though. I've never liked her much as an actress, and it sure doesn't help that she has the creepy face of an alien (hell, she even has the word "space" in her last name). It's distracting in the most negative way. For a story about an old geezer traveling around on a lawnmower, however, it's a very enjoyable journey to behold. Ravishing cinematography throughout the film, and you get the sense it's the handiwork of a true perfectionist. Great effort has been put into every shot and frame, and there's real beauty to all its simplicity. I misjudged this movie by thinking it would be a bore, for although progressing at a fairly slow-going rate, the exceptional acting keeps things interesting. Moving, original and warmingly funny, The Straight Story is an experience that goes straight into the heart.
cosmo313
cosmo313

July 2, 2006
This film is based on the true story of an elderly man who went on a road trip across a few states via a lawnmower to reconnect with his estranged brother who recently suffered a stroke. The most amazing thing, besides the odd method of transportation (explained with a solution that actually makes sense), is the fact that this film was surprisingly a G-rated (even with a handful of mild profanity) family film through Disney directed by none other than David Lynch. Yes, THAT David Lynch. This wasn't really a stunt or anything either. I mean yes, this film proved he could make an accessible, heartwarming, and "normal" film, but it also fits in fairly nicely with his overall body of work (quirky characters, focus on small town USA, a couple of odd images).

The music, acting, and camera work are all fantastic. The direction is pretty good too. Some diehard Lynch fans might hate this, but I think it's actually a really cool departure. I kind of want to see him make another film or two that's this easy to grasp. There is The Elephant Man, but even that is still a little odd and whatnot. Give this one a chance- it's a wonderful and charming look at America that proves that Lynch isn't completely full of crap.
Conner R

February 11, 2011
I feel bad picking on this movie, it's totally harmless. For once, David Lynch wanted to be earnest and make a movie about family. Granted, even this is not even close normal compared to most like it. There's nothing wrong with how it looks or the acting, it's just not a movie you can get into and by no means is it a memorable experience in the way that David Lynch's other work is. I think that Sissy Spacek really was the most interesting part of the whole thing, both the character she played and her performance was extremely well put together.
_kelly .

January 3, 2011
I think it's more than just a stunning film; it's a breath-taking dissertation on the most traditional plot form in drama.
garyX
garyX

June 4, 2007
David Lynch directs the true story of Alvin Straight, a man too elderly and infirm to drive who rode his sit on lawnmower across hundreds of miles to visit his estranged brother after a stroke. I must admit that this type of "inspirational" true life human drama is the kind of thing that I find about as appealing as a strangulated hernia, and if Lynch had not been directing I would have given it a wide berth. I'm glad i didn't. It's the moving tale of a man coming to terms with old age and his own mortality and allowing the things he has come to realise are unimportant to just slip away from his life. It's full of rich, beautiful imagery, accompanied by a haunting and understated soundtrack and Richard Farnsworth is superb as Straight, a man not shown as some all knowing lifestyle guru; just an old man whose long life experience has given him an unpretentious pragmatism that clears away all the bullshit of modern life. One of those films that makes you all misty without even knowing exactly why, Lynch's unsentimental approach is devoid of all the kind of emotional manipulation and saccharine that usual accompanies this kind of thing and as such has a far greater impact. A beautifully understated film.
Dan S

August 7, 2010
A simple, touching story story concerning a stubborn 73-year old man (Richard Farnsworth) with all kinds of health problems, who embarks on a 300 mile lawnmower-riding journey to see his ailing brother one last time. What could have come across as a "Hallmark" movie instead feels genuinely felt. Lynch does the right thing by not including any of his trademark stylistic flashes, instead he decides to tell an emotional story with no punches pulled. The supporting actors, especially Spacek, do what's required of them, but it's Farnsworth (who filmed this movie while battling cancer that eventually led to his suicide a year later) who is so remarkable here. It takes a special actor to work through an immense amount of pain and the threat of dying (only John Cazale from "The Deer Hunter" comes to mind), but luckily for us, Farnsworth was able to make this film. Although not as moving as "The Elephant Man" and not as memorable as "Mulholland Drive", this is definitely one of Lynch's best films.
middleeasternfilms
middleeasternfilms

June 1, 2008
After Lost highway and before the critically-acclaimed Mulholland Drive comes this Disney movie...directed by David Lynch! After learning his estranged brother has suffered a stroke, Alvin climbs aboard his riding lawnmower and travels the 300 miles to his brother's farm in Wisconsin to finally see him. Richard Farnsworth was wisely nominated for an Academy Award for this one and Sissy Spacek is incredible as his mentally challenged daughter. Lynch-favorite Stanton is only in this film for a cup of coffee at the very end. Very enjoyable family entertainment nonetheless.
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 6, 2009
If I hadn't known it was David Lynch I wouldn't have known it was David Lynch. Touching and inspirational.
Anthony L

September 18, 2009
A sweet, simple and beautiful masterpiece. American cinema at its very best!
Jason S

April 4, 2009
A slow moving flick that was really good.
arashxak
arashxak

May 4, 2008
Nice simple story, Beautiful shots, Great ending, I liked it
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

March 18, 2008
A very simple film about a simple man. Very quiet and very moving.

Richard Farnsworth is perfect!

This film is completely different then anything Lynch has done before, but just as impressive. A kinder/gentler side of David Lynch.
cancercapricorn2002
cancercapricorn2002

September 14, 2007
This movie is maybe one of the most touching and uplifting films that I have ever seen. I am not a very religious person, but sometimes a great piece of art like this movie can give me an almost religious experience. One suddenly realizes that there is really meaning to life.
What you have here is a simple story of a old man going across country on his lawn mower to see his brother.
It didn't take long for me to be fully captured by the movie and become completely lost in it .There is so much wisdom and warmth in this movie. After the film was over I felt that I had truly learned something valuable about life.

This is not a typical David Lynch movie, and in some ways it was very surprising that he should make such a film after exploring the dark sides of human nature for so many years. On the other hand, I am not surprised that he manages to convey deep emotions and profound human insight because I also thought he managed that very well in The Elephant Man. Lynch is one of the most gifted directors around and I think The Straight Story is one of his best.
Pierluigi P

June 8, 2007
A fordian masterpiece. Fansworth's last goodbye, and one of the few "normal and simple" Lynch's films.