A Stranger Is Watching Reviews

Grant S September 30, 2013
Fairly common-or-garden crime-thriller. Nothing new or really original. Performances are OK, but you feel they are just going through the motions.
Orlando D January 3, 2013
What started out as a strong thriller, falls to pieces towards the very end. This was the director of Friday the 13th(Sean S. Cunningham) shot at the big times with this adaptation of the Mary Higgins Clark novel(the second film attempt was the little seen, Where are the Children? from 1986 with Jill Clayburgh.)Here Rip Torn, a very underrated actor, chews the scenery as a kidnapper and murderer. He kidnapps reporter Kate Mulgrew and the daughter of her boyfriend. It becomes a race against time to save them both. The performaces by the others are good, and the musical score is effective-but the movie lacks bite. Could have been a great thriller.
Sandman1968 Sandman1968 November 27, 2010
I guess after the critical drubbing Sean Cunningham took for "Friday the 13th", he felt the need to prove himself. He wanted to make a mainstream suspense film, light on gore and heavy on thrills. This is the resulting film, and it's as tepid and tame as his last film was controversial. There is an interesting premise here, and the kidnapping plot is believable and plausible. Unfortunately, the script doesn't flesh out that story well enough to keep the viewer involved.

It's not surprisingly based on a novel by Mary Higgins Clark, the queen of mediocre suspense novels, and I'm sure there would be a lot more bland suspense movies in the works if she had her way. Rip Torn is a fine actor, but he's wasted here as the kidnapper. He has a lot of potential to go over-the-edge and really take this performance to the next level, but it never happens. Thankfully, Cunningham slips back to his old ways and spices this up with some nifty, unnecessary gory murders. But the rest of this is strictly made-for-television territory.

It is kind of disappointing since the plot set-up is better than average, but the movie gets lost along the way. There's a lot of potential for "A Stranger is Watching" to be better than it's source material, but despite some good moments, there's not a lot to like here.
Bill B ½ November 22, 2011
I was actually pretty entertained with Rip Torn as a crazy antagonist chasing around after Mrs. Columbo, er, that is to say Kate Mulgrew.

Decent enough made for TV fare, give it a peep on a boring afternoon.
AJ V
March 28, 2011
An okay thriller, I thought it was going to be a horror movie from the title, but even though it was somewhat scary, it's a thriller, not a horror movie. The actors do a fine job, but they don't have much to do. The movie is entirely predictable. Overall, it's just okay.
steven w. steven w. January 7, 2010
this is quite an amazing movie and very ahead of its time.very suspenseful and makes perfect sense.
ScoopOnline ScoopOnline
December 11, 2009
The plot sounds good the movie itself boring.
SaintFrancisofAssisi SaintFrancisofAssisi June 5, 2008
Not interested in watching
TeenEntGuru TeenEntGuru ½ March 26, 2008
Pretty scary and fun at the same time
Anna N October 1, 2006
Not interested. In general I don't like horror movies.
sillyredhead2005 sillyredhead2005 September 17, 2007
sounds interesting but it doesnt sound worth watching.
dellgirl200520061 dellgirl200520061 June 6, 2007
i want to see that too!!
shabs77us shabs77us June 4, 2007
Not seen this yet, but love to watch it.
Nikki J May 7, 2007
It's not bad, but seems more like a typical 80's made for tv movie...
shelly b February 18, 2007
I read the book and loved it.
Erin W October 8, 2006
I can't pass up a horror movie.
Especially one by the co-creator of Friday the 13th.
jazza923 jazza923 ½ September 14, 2006
Way over the top and far fetched. It has some tense moments, but is just too implausible. The cast tries, mostly held my interest. Mostly just average.
gareth j September 13, 2006