The Strawberry Statement - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Strawberry Statement Reviews

September 5, 2010
This movie is kinda like a late 60s version of Casablanca, taking place in America, on a college campus. It's very intense, exciting, and dramatic. I really liked this movie, it's fantastic, and I highly recommend it.
½ February 26, 2010
A moment in time! The feel of the movie was very much like the feel of the sixties, especially since the music underscored the story.
May 20, 2015
My grandmother was an extra on the film.
September 5, 2010
March 31, 2010
Pretty dated, very hippie movie starring Bruce Davison as a college student who gets involved in student protests. It picks up as the film goes along and the finale is pretty great as well, but the rest of it is a bit slow. The soundtrack is great though. This won the Jury Prize at Cannes in 1970, and considering ...if had just won and the whole Cannes debacle in 68, I can see why they picked it.
March 25, 2010
This movie is complete masterpiece!Director is not so famous,Stuart Hagmann,but this film is!This movie supports rebellious spirit of the 60s,after this movie I felt like I wanted to fought whole world for ideals!This film wakes some rebellious nature in us!There are also lots of funny situations ,actors are young but great! (also starring in this film young Bud Cort,for everyone who like Harold and Maude :)) This film won special jury price at Cannes in 1970 I think,but it is a kind of those movies which will never won the first price,because of alternative and rebellious idea in them.I cried my eyes off in one of the last scenes,but there is no neither happy or sad ends in this movie - which I like the most!I like the message director wanted to say - although doing strikes and doing rebellion against bad things in our society it`s almost the same things like saying "I like strawberries" (nothing will in reality change,you just saying your opinion),but in the same time his message is not "stop doing those things,it`s useless",but opposite - DO IT,to feel that you are alive!do it for yourself! Also soundtrack is great,especially John Lennon`s song Give peace a chance :) This movie stands up for the youth and life in general,and it is one of the a must movies to watch! :)
½ February 26, 2010
January 15, 2010
A fun look at a college protest and a young student's perspective on it.
½ January 9, 2010
somewhat cult moqumentary movie, but now it seems dated and obsolete. goes hand in hand with medium cool by haskell wexler.
March 10, 2008
Bold and underrated.
½ April 8, 2009
An engaging, non-idealized product of the 60's that portrays the student movement for what it really was. An especially powerful finale and sweet 60's soundtrack seal the deal.
½ December 1, 2008
Yes, Awesome soundtrack. Historically interesting student activest movie. A piece of the 60's culture.
August 10, 2008
I remembered having to read the book that this film is based on whilst at college in the States, so I thought that I should watch the film when I saw it was on TV. Unfortunately, at times, the connection between the book and the film is very tenuous. However, it does provide an interesting account of the social conflict and revolutionary spirit that dominated so much of the 1960s, and 1968 in particular. There is some interesting and experimental cinematography, which is symptomatic of both the film's subject matter and the era in which it was produced. Overall, this is a film that is more suited to the category of historical source rather than pure entertainment.
April 30, 2008
Uhh... en serio buenisima pelicula, tan es así que cambio el destino de mi vida
March 17, 2008
A love story set with the 70's student movement as the background. The theme song is "The Circle Game", which was later covered by Agnes Chan, a teenager student then, who began her stardom in Hong Kong and Japan.
January 13, 2008
At the times it was a very good political film. Doesn't wear totally well.
December 6, 2007
This film sums up what the 60's were about (i'm told) great film,
the music, sound, feelings you get - this is an adventure that you can go on without leaving your seat - great film 6*
June 20, 2007
Just perfection. It should be more easily available. "Prove yourself alive!"
June 19, 2007
This movie sheds a stunning light on how intense that time was. Also shows in a brilliant way how life can change if you decide to stand up and try to turn your life around...Have seen it way too often.