Les égarés (Strayed) Reviews

½ November 6, 2010
I like Gaspard Ulliel, but not in this movie...
June 7, 2012
Its slow pace makes me bored.
½ January 19, 2012
I dont know a hoot about French history. Nevertheless I enjoyed this movie a lot. Although it's a story of a Parisian family running away from war, this is not exactly a period war movie. it deals with the struggles of a family to survive, and the relation between a widowed mother and a young stranger.
DrStrangeblog
½ September 27, 2010
Once the end credits roll, you may think to yourself that Les Egarés doesn't add up to much. Or you may see it like me and find a lot of value in those little pieces. The film follows a mother and her son & daughter fleeing from Paris in June 1940 as the Nazis invade. Soon they encounter a streetwise - or in this case, countrywise - youth who knows more about survival than the three of them combined. They stumble upon an abandoned luxury house far from the German warpath and have serious choices to make about their futures.

I learned a little bit about the hardships of French citizens during the WW II occupation and experienced a little bit of rushing fear as German planes drop their bombs. The 4-way dynamic between the characters forms the core of the film with the varying degrees of experience each person has creating a separate layer to explore: the hopeful yet pragmatic mother, the bluntly realistic loyal son, the quizzical innocent young daughter, and the bold resourceful stranger who is not all he claims to be. Emmanuelle Béart delivers a strong, resolute performance, as does newcomer Gaspard Ulliel. The other child actors also contribute seamlessly, which is vitally important since Béart is the only adult present during most of the film. The ending came rather unexpectedly & reminded me of Cuckoo's Nest without the underlying inspirational message. Nevertheless, with Les Egarés I found the parts greater than the sum.
June 5, 2011
Great WWII civilian movie taking place in France!
July 15, 2007
pretty good child acting, and like odile, i found the prolonged lack of time with adults in this film somewhat tiring and desolate, amid the backdrop of fleeing and uncertain survival. Still, their quick reliance on Yvan mixed with prudent mistrust was acted rather well, though its tense culmination was disappointing (and seemed somewhat unheralded). a pity, considering this might've been a sweet vignette film on the suffering of war refugees.
½ January 15, 2011
December 13, 2010
There's nothing remarkable on this movie. The characters are completely annoying and uncapable to inspire any kind of sympathy. The editing is terrible, the performances are bad aswell, it's a story that wasn't worthy of being told because lacks interest.
June 17, 2010
(** 1/2): Thumbs Down

The story is interesting and the cast is good but I grew too bored with it as it went along. A near-miss.
July 29, 2007
Quite the intreating movie I must say. Lots of interesting twists. Gaspard was great as always. Enjoyed it nonetheless. Interesting to watch as well. The ending was quite rough. Too abrupt. Pretty sad also...
mvieaddict
½ July 25, 2009
Les Égarés was a beautiful war drama. The story was understandable why the French people had to escape from Paris when it was invaded by the Germans. Emmanuelle Beart played Odile a schoolteacher who escaped from Paris with her 2 children, on the road her car was bombed by German airplanes. She was helped by Yvan,good performed by Gaspard Ulliel. They ran into the forest and found a house, where they stayed for some days. Yvan was only 17 years old but even so he was desiring Odile, which was way older then him. Their love scene was very sensual and erotic.I was amazed by the beauty of this French actress.The story was real, attractive, original and good.
September 15, 2008
I'm really really sure Gaspard was chosen as Hannibal in Hannibal Rising because of this movie. He's very intense in this one.
May 10, 2007
Psychological drama with lots of interesting twists (NT)
March 7, 2008
but his hair's too short
½ November 19, 2007
An airy poem about wartime, "Les Egares" is a good film, but that you aren't too likely to love or feel close to immediately. It paints some strong psychological portraits, especially of Yvan and Odilie, and in the end the film is very engrossing and spell-binding...but forgettable. It's like a moving painting, by the way, it's simply gorgeous, though not birlliant in an aesthetic way, as it is maybe on the dramatic level: it feels and looks important, and is satisfactory...but not special.
August 17, 2007
I usually avoid movies with lots of French people. But damn I love Emmanuelle Beart. <3 <3 <3
June 4, 2007
i WANT TO SEE iT CAUSE GASPARD ULLiEL iZ iN iT
May 2, 2007
Brilliant movie where the main character (the mother) has to deal with an out of board situation and to keep her children away from the outside world. She seems to do fine and with the help of a young boy she will get to the final cut. For all who think to stay out of the war is possible. And for those who think trouble doesn't mean stop (on the bad sense). PS: If your house is safe make your room safer.
½ February 10, 2007
c'est ce que j'appelle un punch claque dans face!!

Sooo good. Talk about real things.
January 31, 2007
An interesting and intimate look at how one family becomes taken up in the isolation of war torn France. Gaspard, as the mysterious helpful stranger, is especially wonderful, conveying a magnetism as well as mystery surrounding his character.