Street Fighter Zero (Street Fighter Alpha) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

½ August 14, 2009
Not bad... I enjoyed it.. Love Streetfighter... Classic ^_^
deano
December 13, 2006
Well, I thought this is not the kind of movie it would have been. I was a big Street Fighter fan since playing the video game at the arcade when I was young. This anime film is really different I never excepted to see new street fighter characters except Ryu, Ken and Chun-Li.
I liked the original anime and even the V series because in the end Ryu & Ken ultimately team up. One or the other (usually Ryu) has to get the final hit, but it takes both of them for a victory. Akuma would have given them both a run for their money with his raging demon; Street Fighter fans don't want the throw-away Dr. Sadler crap, we want the real deal - bring on Akuma.
November 28, 2008
Great animation with a story that seems more in common with Dragon Ball than Street Fighter. Still good for any SF fan.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 25, 2007
i was extremely excited for this movie because i am a huge street fighter fan, but i was fairly dissapointed. the story was weak, most of the characters were underused, everytime they made you think they would show a tournament they got one or two matches in and changed the story, and many of the characters i love were absent from this movie. they hyped up an akuma battle that they never showed and they lead up to the climax was better than the climax itself. it had a few bright spots for street fighter fans that makes it an average movie, but it should have been much better.
September 5, 2009
The whole film ignores most of the characters and just focuses on Ryu's struggle with turning to the darkside. And the makers constantly focus on Chun-Li's crotch - which gets irritating really fast. It does feature Rose, which is cool, but with all the characters available to them this is a massive let-down.
ECF
May 18, 2011
It is all the great art and cinematic beauty you wanted in the first. Also, the more adult tone you were looking for in the first. But it lacks CHARACTERS! No M. Bison. No E. Honda. This basically felt like a side story to Ryu's life. But don't get me wrong, I did enjoy this. The fight scenes for the actual street fighter tournament were extra bloody which always scores points in my book. Zangief looked like a bad ass wall of mountain and beard. Vega looked evil. So you can't hate on the movie too much. It was a perfectly fine little piece of anime. Watch it if you are into Street Fighter. Good Concept OK Execution.
June 27, 2010
SFA is not the best SF in the movie seris and the plot might be a little bit confusing for non SF fans. However with good looking animation and good action sequences it still delivers the goods.

A pretty good anime.

MP **** 4/5
May 27, 2010
Street Fighter Alpha is no Street Fighter II, but it's got lots of great action scenes and lots of good animation. If you like anime, you'll probably like this.
May 7, 2008
Even at 90 min. the movie overstays it's welcome. Too much exposition and too many newly introduced characters and I didn't care about either. The final battle was underwhelming to say the least. And what's with the camera capturing crotch shots?
½ April 29, 2008
Starting with the Alpha series, it really becomes impossible to do a truly faithful adaptation of a Street Fighter game. That's where Capcom started cramming in increasingly elaborate super-combos and wacky SciFi/Fantasy backstories that had little to do with the actual gameplay. This puts the filmmaker in an impossible situation. If he's faithful to the plot and tells it the way it needs to be told, he makes a film that looks nothing like the one-on-one fighting game the audience remembers. On the other hand, if he faithfully reproduces the action, then he has to completely rewrite the plot to something simpler and totally unlike the plot in the game. And, either way, he has to work in absurd, earth shattering supermoves that are far less interesting than real combat. Somehow, Alpha manages to get the worst of ALL possible choices by making a film with little resemblance to Street Fighter gameplay and STILL rewriting the plot into a third-rate generic anime knockoff. And the earth shattering attacks are still lame. Watch once if you're a fan of the series then forget it completely.
March 19, 2008
it sorta goes without saying that any anime based on videogames (or even live action movies) totally suck.
March 17, 2008
The focus is around Ryu (Yea, big surprise!) as he struggles to not succumb to his inner "dark hadou", a "Dark Side - Star Wars-esq" power that resides within him.

With its decent fighting & less than decent story line, it is a predictable & saddly unworthy component to the Street Fighter saga.
November 4, 2007
slick animation but had a lot of unannounced unfamiliar characters... and why was there no spectators in the tournament??
½ October 30, 2007
This spin-off/reboot/seperate continuity something to the classic Street Fighter animated film follows in the footsteps of some of the beautifully animated fight scenes from the first film, though the film's plot is sadly lacking.

Come for the fight scenes, and stay for the fight scenes, but don't stick around too much longer.
½ April 15, 2015
The movie was slow from the start and had little to no good action. If it was going to be a movie based more on struggle rather than fighting than at least make it a little more intense. Not to mention that I've fell asleep within 30 to 40 minutes of the movie.
January 19, 2015
No way near as good as the first
March 13, 2006
Not really the street fighter story . SF V is better.
October 22, 2013
Ryu is the protagonist, he struggles with Dark Hadou. I was a fan of Blanka and E. Honda, who don't even appear. The fights are sparse, but Zangief and Vega impress. Ken and Ryu's feet are freaky. Dhalsim and Guile make all-too-brief cameos. It would have been nice to see Ryu beat Sagat in a flashback, or why Final Fight joined Street Fighter, but that's another story I guess. This one is about Ryu, his younger brother, a mad scientist and his android.
August 3, 2013
Compared to Street Fighter II this is just shit. The English dub is atrocious. Except for Steve Blum, that guy is awesome. I'm also not the biggest fan of this type of animation. I loved how they had to show a shot of Chun-Li's ass and/or crotch in every scene she's in. Gotta love those perverted little Japanese dudes. The story's main focus is on Ryu and his fight against the dark hadu (it's kind of like the dark side). Ryu also never fights Acuma, just this retarded evil scientist who wants to the dark hadu to take over the world. If you're a Street Fighter fan and you still have not seen this, do yourself a favor and don't waste your time.