Street Kings 2: Motor City Reviews

MANUGINO
April 24, 2011
Nothing more than a mediocre sequel. It has some good action sequences but the story lacks of stability and deepness unlike the first part the original. Ray Liotta still has some skills in him I'll give him that.

Street Kings 2: Motor City moves the action to Michigan and explores the world of dirty cops on the violent streets of Detroit. Marty Kingston (Liotta) is an undercover narcotics detective who is shot and barely survives a drug bust gone wrong to save the life of his partner. When his partner is killed by a masked gunman four years later, Marty must team up with the hotheaded homicide detective Dan Sullivan (Hatosy) to investigate a string of brutal cop murders and hunt down the cop killer. The investigation that ensues is shrouded in deception and loaded with plot twists that question the line between the rules of law and justice.
April 19, 2011
An explosive and intense crime-thriller. It's fast, stylish and furiously entertaining. It explodes with breakneck action, gritty suspense and terrific character drama that's well-developed between it's two leads. A more in depth and powerful film than the original. A strong, compelling, shocking and heart-pounding movie. This film keeps you on the edge of your seat until the very end with it's riveting finale. Ray Liotta gives an electrifying and awesome performance. Shawn Hatosy is sensational and stunning. Hatosy and Liotta give powerhouse performances. A tremendously entertaining and adrenaline-charged thrill-ride that packs a full-clip.
PantaOz
January 2, 2012
I am not a great fan of Ray Liotta since Seinfield made fun of him in the B Movie :-)... joking... but I really never thought of him as a great actor. In this movie he did well enough that we can say that the film is successfully delivering intense and electrifying performance - just enough for a positive review!

Liotta plays Detroit detective Marty Kingston, the leader of an undercover narcotics team, whose members are being systematically murdered one by one... Kingston joins forces with young (and cocky) homicide detective, but neither of them is prepared for the shocking corruption their investigation will uncover... The film is a sequel in name only, as it takes place in Detroit rather than Los Angeles and only Clifton Powell returns from the first film's cast...

Enough said! Very formulaic for most of its running time and it doesn't offer anything that hasn't been done to death within the genre already. Not terrible and worth a look if you enjoyed the first one... if you didn't, skip it!
½ September 18, 2011
The best thing there is to say about Street Kings 2 is that it's mostly watchable, but never original and never all that interesting. As you would expect it has nothing to do with the original, save a similar plot line. As a big Ray Liotta fan I was disappointed, he wasn't given a script or surrounding cast that would bring the best out of him. The script in particular had clunky dialogue and numerous clichà (C) moments. Had it not taken itself so seriously, and been more gritty and less formulaic, it could've been something.
½ May 30, 2011
This flick was a little bit slow....but deviated from the chemistry that made the first one a runaway success...imagine a world that we already know of...crooked cops. Now shake that world up with multiple homicides that are all cops. How does a rookie detective and a seasoned detective go about solving the multiple murders of police officers hidden behind the code of silence among each other? Not too bad a crime saga drama.
½ September 12, 2011
I think it goes without saying the first Street Kings is better. Maybe I'm biased. The first one was based in LA and featured a slew of celebrity cameos from familiar actors and rappers whereas this sequel is based in Detroit with completely different characters, only four of which I actually recognize. I did enjoy this film, but its a plot that could've easily been used on an episode of, say, Southland. Which brings me to my next issue: Shawn Hatosy just seemed to be playing a calmer version of his cop character from the TV series, minus the crazy wife or calming partner. This is one of those movies you watch late at night when nothing else is on and you're just in the mood for a cop drama. There was nothing very remarkable about this film, it was light on laughs, and the violence was what you'd expect in a cop film. Again, I might just be losing interest in cop films due to the advent of CSI, Law & Order and the like. I was entertained, but I see why it was straight-to-DVD. It was nothing special.
November 14, 2011
Poor poor poor Ray Liotta. So sad to see you on direct to video. From beginning to end this never even feels like a sequel. Even by direct to video sequel standards. Almost like the title got changed after it was filmed. But none the less Liotta still delivers the goods. Never does he act like he's just there for a paycheck or bored and tired. And Hatosy does a tolerable job. Story line is nothing new. Walks the same path as many before it but for what it's worth it tries to be better then what a small budget sequel is. It has its entertaining moments and predictable but solid story. Worth a look at if you enjoyed the first one or other gritty corrupt cop dramas.
May 10, 2011
meh............ for a low budget remake, it wasnt too bad. kinda slow and dull, and the characters really didnt fit their roles too good. Overall, it wasnt a complete failure.
½ April 10, 2011
Had no business being called Street Kings.. I think it was a good movie. Liotta and Hatosy as partners wasnt bad. 6/10
½ June 20, 2015
Ray Liotta isn't all that good of a leading man, but he isn't as bad as he was in this dismal sequel.
January 20, 2013
PantaOz
January 2, 2012

½ October 7, 2011
At the end of Street Kings starring Keanu Reeves the movie had come to a full conclusion, however, many people were really surprised at what great movie that one was. There didn't really seem like any need for a sequel unless it would take that character on a totally new adventure. This almost direct to video style movie is worth watching only if you're a Ray Liotta fan and like hard-boiled '70s style police movies. The movie seems rather stilted like in the script it literally said "black man gets in car, close up on car's tail, he speeds away from curb leaving trail of gas fumes and dust." I think maybe this movie suffered some poor editing. Some shots were just a character listening to the phone for whole minute saying "ok, ok" ... Rather annoying. Ray Liotta is a great actor and Shawn Hatosy is not bad at all. Both roles were not exactly flashy and flattering parts for any actor to get. You could call the glass half empty and say if it wasn't for Ray Liotta this movie shouldn't even exist. On the other hand you could say I wish Ray Liotta would just be in a better movie. Something went wrong and sloppy -- I'd have to say the direction, production and editing departments were too busy at the snack table during filming. Or maybe trying inventive ways to smoke weed out of a pringles can... Maybe both. :)
½ September 26, 2011
what you expect often doesn't happen, good story, something is missing to make it worth going to the cinema for
September 18, 2011
This movie owes me some stars for watching it. It was like a train wreck. You knew what was going to happen but you watched anyways because you wanted to see the carnage
½ September 18, 2011
August 25, 2011
Just a waste of time don't bother
½ July 2, 2011
The first Street Kings wasn't great, but was still entertaining and effective. The same can be said for this sequel but on a much lower level. Relative to the first, the plot is more predictable, the "twists" don't work well, the dialogue is cheesier, and the acting [overall] is sub par. Shawn Hatosy is completely in over his head, and it shows. For what it's worth, it does the straight to video crowd proud.
June 30, 2011
(* 1/2): Thumbs Down
May 24, 2011
That was a waste... Not enough action...