70% The Equalizer Sep 26

97% Masters of Sex: Season 2
80% Ray Donovan: Season 2
87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Witches of East End: Season 2

Subida al cielo (Mexican Bus Ride)(Ascent to Heaven)

Subida al cielo (Mexican Bus Ride)(Ascent to Heaven) (1954)

tomatometer

Average Rating: 3.6/5
User Ratings: 438

My Rating

Movie Info

Better known as Ascent to Heaven, Luis Bunuel's Mexican Bus Ride is a genial surrealistic comedy with many of the earmarks but little of the elegant cruelty of Bunuel's later works. Esteban Marquez plays a young bridegroom who is called away from the altar. Marquez's mother is dying, necessitating a bumpy two-day ride in a rickety bus to the little village where mama resides. En route, Marquez meets many eccentric characters, and is detained in a variety of mirth-provoking ways. Once he's

Clasa-Mohme Inc.

Cast

Friend Ratings

No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.

There are no critic reviews yet for Subida al cielo (Mexican Bus Ride)(Ascent to Heaven). Keep checking Rotten Tomatoes for updates!

Audience Reviews for Subida al cielo (Mexican Bus Ride)(Ascent to Heaven)

it's a perfectly lovely film and who knew the great cynic had such sweetness in him. a young man postpones his wedding to take a rickety bus to a distant city to make provisions for his mother's will, beset by a stream of oddball characters and frustrating circumstances along the way. a surreal dream sequence and some pointed satire serve to remind us who we're dealing with
May 8, 2012
rubystevens
Stella Dallas

This early Luis Bunuel film is not really worth seeing, sorry to say. If it has any selling point, it's not Bunuel but the outrageous sexiness of Lilia Prado. The filmmaking is quite conventional, and initially recalls one of those old Disney travelogue documentaries.

The title "Mexican Bus Ride" essentially captures the plot -- a bus full of villagers tags along with a young man journeying to another town to work out the will details for his (allegedly) dying mother. His greedy brothers pursue an alternate scheme at home.

Life on the bus meets a slew of complications: rain, traction, a flat tire, sleeplessness, childbirth, farm animals, bickering, sexual temptation and visiting Americans.

The fascination of the more obscure Bunuel films is hunting for signs of his usual perverse quirks...here, we get glimpses including a beautiful woman who is mostly dismissed as an annoyance, a one-legged man, a skeptical depiction of politicians and a fantasy sequence with some visual symbolism. These mild virtues aren't enough.
February 21, 2012
Eric Broome

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss Subida al cielo (Mexican Bus Ride)(Ascent to Heaven) on our Movie forum!

What's Hot On RT

Everybody Hurts

New Men, Women & Children Trailer

<em>John Wick</em>
John Wick

Trailer: Keanu's Got a Short Fuse!

Foreign Titles

• Der Weg, der zum Himmel führt (DE)
  • Mexican Bus Ride (1952) (UK)