Box Office Guru Wrapup: Wimpy Kid Beats Sucker Punch for #1 Spot

A group of nerdy middle school boys defeated a commando team of machine gun-toting women at the North American box office as the kid comedy Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules opened at number one while the effects-heavy action fantasy Sucker Punch debuted in second place. Adult-skewing thrillers Limitless and The Lincoln Lawyer both displayed remarkable staying power in the top five as the lackluster first quarter of 2011 ended.

Improving on its predecessor, the kidpic sequel Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules seized the top spot with an impressive opening of $24.4M, according to estimates. Fox enjoyed an impressive $7,704 average from 3,167 locations as the PG-rated comedy beat out the debut of the first Wimpy Kid by 10%. That film bowed to $22.1M on its way to a $64M domestic run.

With a reported cost of only $20M, Rodrick Rules is well on its way to becoming another profitable film adaptation from the popular book series. Audiences are liking what they see as the CinemaScore grade was an encouraging A-. Competition for school children was low so the studio entered the marketplace with very few alternatives stealing away its target crowd. Plus good will from the well-reviewed first Wimpy pic carried over to the sequel which did not fare as well with critics. Given the low cost, continued interest from fans, and existing books to still adapt, the franchise could easily continue.

The stylish action vehicle Sucker Punch, which led the box office on opening day Friday, settled for second place over the weekend with an estimated $19M. The PG-13 tale about a band of young women that must escape the mental asylum they are locked in averaged $6,269 from 3,033 theaters. Director Zack Snyder, whose effects-heavy action pics 300 and Watchmen both opened at number one with their March debuts, took a beating from critics this time with Punch. The girlpower film was expected to be tops this weekend but with a 17% Saturday slump from the $8.1M opening Friday, it soon became apparent that even reaching $20M in three days would be difficult. Action films led by women have struggled at the box office with the exception of many Angelina Jolie offerings.

Sucker Punch is the latest in a string of stylish action films aimed at teens and young adults that underperformed on opening weekend following I Am Number Four, Red Riding Hood, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, and Kick-Ass. None broke $20M on opening weekend. With a reported production cost of at least $75M and a troubling B- CinemaScore, Sucker Punch will need strength from overseas and home video to break even. Snyder is still working with Warner Bros. and is directing its Superman reboot film scheduled to hit theaters in December 2012.

With the final March weekend now concluded, Hollywood studios will be eager to put the first quarter behind them. Only four films opened north of $30M during this time period compared to eight last year.

Last weekend's two new adult thrillers enjoyed amazingly low declines and followed in the next two spots. Bradley Cooper's miracle drug flick Limitless slipped only 20% in its sophomore session thanks to terrific word-of-mouth with mature audiences and grossed an estimated $15.2M which was about what the industry expected from its opening frame. Relativity Media has taken in a solid $41.3M in ten days and should be headed for $75-85M or even more if these strong legs continue. Lionsgate's legal drama The Lincoln Lawyer dipped by an even smaller amount, 17%, and grossed an estimated $11M for a $29M ten-day cume. The Matthew McConaughey pic may be able to end up in the neighborhood of $60M.

Johnny Depp scored his sixth $100M+ grosser of the past eight years with the animated comedy Rango which dropped 35% to an estimated $9.8M. With $106.4M in 24 days, the Paramount release has delivered both the biggest opening and largest overall gross of any 2011 release. The lizard toon could be headed for the vicinity of $130M.

Dropping 48% to an estimated $7.6M was Sony's alien invasion thriller Battle: Los Angeles which upped its cume to $72.6M. Close behind was another extra terrestrial flick, the comedy Paul with an estimated $7.5M. The Universal pic dropped a moderate 43% and has taken in $24.6M in ten days.

Red Riding Hood ranked eighth with an estimated $4.3M, off 40%, for a $32.5M cume in 17 days. Matt Damon's fate-based drama The Adjustment Bureau enjoyed a good hold sliding just 27% to an estimated $4.2M for a $54.9M sum to date.

Two films claimed tenth place, not wanting to be excluded from all the press given to the top ten, and had distributor estimates that were a mere $1,000 apart with $2.2M a piece. The 3D animated flop Mars Needs Moms tumbled 59% thanks to another kidpic in the marketplace while the teen drama Beastly slipped only 32%. Totals stand at $19.2M for Disney and $25.3M for CBS Films.

Joining Rango in the century club this weekend was Adam Sandler whose latest comedy Just Go With It fell 33% to an estimated $1.5M upping its total to $100.2M. It was the bankable funnyman's 12th starring vehicle to surpass $100M domestically over the last 13 years proving again that audiences still come out for his brand of humor despite what critics have to say.

In platform release, The Weinstein Co. premiered its Palestinian drama Miral in two theaters each in New York and Los Angeles and collected an estimated $65,000 for a $16,250 average. The Julian Schnabel-directed pic expands to more cities on Friday. The French film Potiche starring Catherine Deneuve and Gérard Depardieu debuted in seven locations and bowed to an estimated $85,000 for a $12,143 average.

Expanding indie titles did well too. The period drama Jane Eyre grossed an estimated $983,000 from 90 sites in its third frame for a solid $10,922 average for Focus. Fox Searchlight's Paul Giamatti comedy Win Win averaged a sturdy $20,478 from 23 locations with its estimated $471,000 take in its second session. Totals are $1.9M and $679,000, respectively.

The top ten films grossed an estimated $105.3M which was down 7% from last year when How to Train Your Dragon opened in the top spot with $43.7M; and off 23% from 2009 when Monsters vs. Aliens debuted at number one with $59.3M.

Author: Gitesh Pandya, Box Office Guru!

Comments

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

If I was Snyder I'd be happy I already have Superman because Sucker Punch looks like another kick-ass, only not as good. Limitless and Lincoln Lawyer held far better then I expected to. Hopefully the box-office will as a whole improve in April as there are alot of potential blockbusters. Source code, hop, your highness, scream 4, and Fast 5 just to name them on the top of my head. I'll say Hop will win next week in the 30-40 million range, but source might upset but it's more likely it will preformed similarly to adjustment bureau in the low to mid 20s.

Mar 27 - 07:49 PM

Odd E.

Odd Even

So people actually do listen? Did word of mouth work to keep SP out of the #1 spot?

Hope in the midst of the darkness that is Trans3 and Twilight.

Ha! Of course not. Fools will still flock to the trash.

Oh wellz. Take victories where you can get them.

Mar 27 - 07:50 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

A bit surprised to see Sucker Punch not at #1, but oh well, so what. I loved that movie, saw it twice, both in IMAX, once on my own, once with friends, and we all enjoyed it very much. I don't think its a hollow film at all, and a good amount of thinking can be applied to it. I, for one, disagree vehemently on the critics with Sucker Punch. Very unique film. Also saw Lincoln Lawyer, never thought I'd like a Matthew M. film, but I gotta say this was damn good! Very well-acted all around, But apparently he does have to be shirtless in every film at least one scene. Good to see people respond well to that one, with the small drop. Don't really care about Wimpy Kid. However I'm very ready for Source Code, hoping its as good as its trailer, early word is good, if so looks like Moon was no fluke for Duncan Jones.

Mar 27 - 08:01 PM

The Watcher

Dude... you gave Twilight & Land of the Lost a 100, RE4 a 70 and Percy a 90. I really can't see how your opinion holds any water. Sorry for the meanness, but shit!, you gave Twilight a fucking 100.

Mar 27 - 09:04 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

My ratings don't necessarily reflect the same love for certain films. The 100 I gave Twilight doesn't mean its the same 100 I gave Casablanca or other classics, or There Will Be Blood or other modern classics. If I like a film I just rate it fresh at 100, if I don't I give it 10% or 0%. To me that meter is like making a "10 best films of the year" list, I think its taken way too seriously, and not really relevant so long as you liked or didn't like a certain movie. I just move the meter accordingly fresh side if I liked a movie, rotten if I didn't.

Mar 27 - 09:32 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

And of course, as it seems to be the common practice on here, you would pick the films that I happen to like that you, and maybe a few others didn't. Wow I like a few films you didn't, geez what is the world going to end now? Seen that enough on here, it gets tiring, so people like something you don't, it's not like your taste is THE definitive taste on here. Seriously.

Mar 28 - 12:45 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Dude... you gave Twilight a 100%. You do know that's reserved for great films right? I'm gonna have to side with The Watcher here.

Mar 28 - 05:44 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Yeah Val, I kind of got to go with you guys on this one. He did qualify his statement with the "all films I like get 100%" statement but Twilight and Land of the Lost are tough sells at any rating. Zen, you do like a lot of great films though so do just take this in stride. We are here to be critical.

Mar 28 - 07:53 AM

AL Green

Guys, if Twilight is great to him then it is great to him no matter how much you hate it. Opinions can not be wrong. No matter how much you hate it. He likes it, you dont. I rated Newsies 100 and a lot of people hate that movie. I dont care because I love it and can watch it over and over and never get sick of it.

Mar 28 - 12:40 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

You liked NEWSIES??!! OMG call an AMBULANCE!!!

Mar 28 - 12:57 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

Yeesh, I didn't know liking Twilight, or perhaps it is going against the T-meter, is such a hot button issue on this website, cause enough for over-analyzing movie ratings/reviews. Anyway thanks ALgreen, didn't expect you to say that, but thanks, my thoughts exactly. Perhaps I'll find time to write proper reviews, eventually.

Mar 28 - 06:49 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Look Zen, I for one am not saying that liking a movie like Twilight is bad, I like LOTS of bad movies. I'm just saying that usually if someone likes films like Twilight then I usually don't have many films in common with them and don't as a rule follow their advice on films...as a rule. Of course there are exceptions but it is really just a matter of taste. If someone is big into Hip Hop and rarely listens to rock then tells me a particular album is good, me, liking rock, would be less likely to listen to them. Didn't you read my previous post? Like I said take it in stride, I can see you have fine taste in film IMHO. We are all critics here...its what we do. It wasn't my intention to offend you.

Mar 28 - 09:36 PM

The Watcher

SP will fade quick, just like Kick-Ass did. The exception, of course, is that Kick-Ass is good. Surprised that Winpy did so well, but then I can't understand that cos I'm not a little kid. Eh... nothing interesting this week.

Mar 27 - 08:15 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

What I think happened is that not too many parents are going to let their young boys see Sucker Punch so the 12yr old gets a ticket to Wimpy Kid then sneaks over. Then the NCAA had a big effect on the target audience coupled with bad word of mouth = FAIL.

Mar 27 - 09:23 PM

Isaac

Isaac H

I'm pleasantly surprised that Wimpy Kid beat out Sucker Punch. I'm a fan of the books and the first movie wasn't great but I thought it to be an enjoyable portrayal of middle school, even though reviews weren't great. I may see that in weeks to come. Sucker Punch looked interesting, but far too strange to appeal to a wide crowd, so I guess that's why it didn't beat Wimpy Kid. Any other ideas?

Mar 27 - 08:16 PM

Cory B

All right, my post is likely to turn into a rant, so here's the short version. If you skipped Sucker Punch this weekend, keep right on doing that. Now with that out of the way...

Sucker Punch proves that Snyder is over-reliant on cheap pointless visual gimmicks, especially slow-motion, and that he's very weak as a writer. He's made an okay horror remake and two average graphic novel adaptations, and now this. It's pretty telling that his first truly original movie has such an intriguing premise... and yet it turned out like this. Sucker Punch should have been awesome. It reached that in a few brief separate moments, but those only served as reminders of how awesome the WHOLE movie should have been. In the hands of the right director, Sucker Punch would have been an awesome action flick.

And the slow-mo apparently wasn't gimmicky enough this time around, because Snyder decided to throw in a bunch of stupid random shaky cam in the trench scene, which almost killed the whole thing. The action looked fine in the shots where the camera was steady. Why suddenly go to handheld FOR NO DAMN REASON?!?! Why does EVERY action movie feel the need to resort to this? It only detaches the viewer from the experience. I can't care about what's going on when I CAN'T EVEN TELL WHAT'S HAPPENING.

Snyder has completely lost any interest I had in his projects, and I can't see how anyone can support his attachment to Superman after such an epic misfire. For some reason a lot of people here liked seeing Snyder signing on. Well, do you guys really want a Superman movie with a bunch of pointless slow-motion and random shaky cam? That's probably what you're going to get, because Snyder doesn't seem to know how to do anything else. Sucker Punch SHOULD have been my favorite of the year so far (out of five), but instead I rate it as the worst. And I was pumped for a couple of months to see this. What a missed opportunity.

Mar 27 - 08:20 PM

AL Green

*he is very weak as a writer* says the guy who rated Avatar 100 percent.

Mar 27 - 08:26 PM

Cory B

Really? There's no comparison between Avatar and Sucker Punch. Was the writing in Avatar great? No. But it was still better than Sucker Punch's writing, and Avatar was also clearly superior to SP in every other conceivable way. On a related note... why the heck are we STILL hung up on Avatar? Seriously people (fans and haters alike), get over it.

Mar 27 - 09:59 PM

AL Green

Get over it? That is the cost for being number 1 Cory. Avatar is number 1. It is the king of the box office and special effects so it will always be brought up. My statement is only about the writing, nothing else. Avatars writing was superior? Ya, like naming the substance the humans are after *Unobtanium* because its *unobtainable* as long as the navi are there. James Cameron is in my top 5 favorite directors but he needs to hire a great screenwriter for Avatar 2 and 3. As for superior in every other conceivable way, do you also mean originality to? Avatar is more original than SP?

Mar 27 - 10:30 PM

Cory B

First, Unobtainium is an actual scientific term, and has been in use for decades. Look it up. Second, I'll take Avatar's story over SP any day of the week. Sucker Punch had the more original and intriguing concept, but assuming that more original and intriguing= better is a glaring logical fallacy, as you are ignoring the most important part: the execution. I'll take good familiarity over crappy originality. Originality is only valuable if it's well-done.

Mar 27 - 10:30 PM

AL Green

No Cory, I did not write it automatically makes something better. You wrote that. You are assuming that I assume that. I brought up originality because you wrote *and Avatar was also clearly superior to SP in every other conceivable way* The dialogue in Avatar made me cringe which is the main reason I enjoyed sitting through SP more. I believe you about unobtainium because I dont take you for a lair. No need to tell me to *look it up*

Mar 27 - 10:52 PM

Cory B

Sorry, but I'm just so tired of defending Avatar from the "unobtainium" line that I get a little irritated whenever I see someone mention it as an example of bad writing. And as for the originality point, one of your posts said: "As for superior in every other conceivable way, do you also mean originality to? Avatar is more original than SP?" From that, I assumed you meant originality was intrinsically good.

Mar 27 - 11:02 PM

AL Green

I usually see the dances with wolves/Pocahontas lines, I have never seen the unobtainium ones and I joined a year ago. But like i said before I dont take you for a liar and believe you on that one to so I understand your frustration. In my opinion the primary reason why Avatars writing is bad is because of the dialogue he gave the characters. I will admit the only reason why I responded to you is because you said Snyders writing is weak which I agree with but that was Camerons weakness on his last movie to which you rated 100. He needs a screenwriter Cory. Just think, his directing and special effects plus a great screenwriters adaptation of his story would be capital. I am optimistic about Superman because Goyer is adapting the screenplay. By the way I just want to say that I am unrelenting to people like Brian Singer so I have no problem with you or anyone doing the same to Snyder if you are not a fan of his. Fair is fair but I still throw in my two cents.

Mar 27 - 11:56 PM

Cory B

Agreed, I'd like to see Cameron get someone else to do the writing for Avatar 2&3, but I suspect his ego is too big for that to ever happen.

Mar 28 - 10:13 AM

AL Green

According to his verified Twitter account, he has been *head deep* writing Avatar 2 and 3. Oh well. I will go check them both out because no matter how bad the dialogue is I know Cameron will step it up with the action and special effects in the sequels. Hell, maybe he will improve on the dialogue also.

Mar 28 - 12:46 PM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

Thanks for that little rant of yours Cory, I will make sure I find the time to check Sucker punch out as you have given it a glowing recommendation

Mar 27 - 08:34 PM

Cory B

Hey, it's your ten bucks, if you like it then more power to you. But it's worth pointing out that we have 11 common rated movies and we agree on every one of them. I'm just sayin'...

Mar 27 - 10:01 PM

The Watcher

Don't worry, I had no intention of watching SP. I *was* looking forward to that movie, but I'm not big-headed enough to assume that everyone is wrong about saying that it's shit. Sometimes you just gotta admit that a spade's a spade.

Mar 27 - 09:02 PM

AL Green

Watcher, if you wrote something like *since the critics and most people on rotten hated it then I wont risk wasting my money* I would understand that. But you are never going to see it at all anytime in the future to see for yourself? Even if a friend has a dvd you can borrow? Even I watched the 3rd Twilight to see why that series is so venomously hated by the demographic it is not aimed at.

Mar 27 - 09:44 PM

The Watcher

No no, I meant spending money on a cinema ticket. I'll definitely torrent the 720p version as soon as it hits Demonoid or Pirate Bay.

$20 is a lot of money, especially for me, I'm not going to risk wasting it on a pile of shit. Hell, I'd be better off buying 1/8 of an ounce and watching Spongebob at home while stoned out of my mind.

Mar 27 - 10:10 PM

AL Green

OK then. But on another note i am adamantly against anyone calling something crap or a pile of shit that they have not read or seen themselves. Like i said before even I gave the 3rd Twilight a viewing just to see what all the anger was about. After watching it, I must admit the kiss me bella parts made me nauseous but the fight scenes *for a movie aimed at teenage girls* were ok in my opinion.

Mar 27 - 10:59 PM

The Watcher

I didn't call SP a pile of shit, I said I couldn't risk spending money on a piece of shit, meaning that it's potentially a POS cos most critics and/or people who've seen it say so. I'll reserve judgement until I see it, but it does rule out a cinema trip.

Mar 28 - 04:56 PM

doomzdavo

Doomz Davo

Zack Snyder got sucker punched by a wimpy kid.

Mar 27 - 08:22 PM

merrygoround

Josh Hoffman

Ya, Snyder definitely got burned. I'm surprised (but sort of glad) it didn't do so well. And, I'm glad I got to see it for free.

On a side note: I'm not a professional on these sort of things. But, I have a very strong feeling Sucker Punch would of been better received, and would have made more money, if it were way more violent. But, then again, Kick-Ass was violent and failed too. So who knows?

Mar 28 - 12:18 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I think Sucker Punch was always going to be one of those movie's that needed strong word of mouth to be successful. It was aimed at the fanboy sects who're very closely entwined with the critics and it didn't have mass appeal outside of that one demographic. The creepy perv sect just isn't as powerful as they once were. :)

Mar 28 - 04:59 AM

Thats No MooN

joshua zimmer

Because the creepy prev sect is watching the Wimpy Kid

Mar 28 - 12:47 PM

merrygoround

Josh Hoffman

I agree word of mouth was very important for this movie, and I think more violence would of helped that.

Mar 28 - 01:52 PM

kalikoda

nick c

If suckerpunch was rated MA or R and modified accordingly i think it would have been better received and much more likely to build a strong cult following even if it was a dud. Why would you have a bunch of chicks kickin ass in fantasy land and rate it PG13 ? sad...

Mar 28 - 10:15 PM

AL Green

*he is very weak as a writer* says the guy who rated Avatar 100 percent.

Mar 27 - 08:26 PM

Mar 27 - 09:59 PM

Mar 27 - 10:30 PM

Mar 27 - 10:30 PM

Mar 27 - 10:52 PM

Mar 27 - 11:02 PM

Mar 27 - 11:56 PM

Mar 28 - 10:13 AM

Mar 28 - 12:46 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Haha, this is funny. DOAWK beat Sucker Punch? Really!? Am I the only one who thinks this is funny!?

Mar 27 - 08:29 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

On another note, is Zack Snyder going to be the next Michael Bay?

Mar 27 - 08:34 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Amazing how quick everyone turned on Snyder, I was concerned about him when he was announced as Superman director (Being a big Singer fan) and everyone was rushing to his defense, now one bad movie later he's castigated.

Mar 28 - 05:03 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

It's how they roll around here, dude.

Mar 28 - 10:04 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

Just wait. Chris Nolan will someday make a not-so-good movie, and all kinds of people around here will speak of him being washed up. It'll happen.

Mar 28 - 10:09 AM

AL Green

CMF, i already seen something similar but not nearly as bad as this happen to Nolan. When Ann Hathaway was announce for Catwoman and when the title *Dark Knight Rises* was announce. Oh man does anyone remember what was being said on here when the title was announced? It was astounding!
You would think you were reading a Michael Bay thread from the hatred one person perfectly wrote.

Mar 28 - 12:51 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

No but what makes it funnier is that Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2 is actually is actually good compare to Suckerpunch. Now if only the results will boot Snyder out of the Superman reboot.

Mar 27 - 08:36 PM

The Watcher

Snyder isn't a bad director... he's good at adapting shit, like remakes and comic books, just not good at providing his own vision for original ideas and novel adaptations. I actually think he'll do a great job on Superman, I'm looking forward to seeing Supes, with shit blowing up and buildings collapsing, flying through the evening rain and punching villains.

Mar 27 - 09:10 PM

Henry O.

Henry Owens

Just because Sucker Punch isn't that great dosen't mean he sohuld get booted off the Superman reboot. Watch his movies, there all visual masterpeices. One thing I don't like about Snyder is his overuse of slow motion, but other then that, he's a genius.

I don't think Man Of Steel will beat returns though, I really liked Superman Returns.

Mar 27 - 11:56 PM

DOCTOR P.

DOCTOR PRIME

A visually amazing Superman alright, one lacking of heart and story, yeah that would be pretty bad and considering Snyder's films that seems to be more than likely to happen

Mar 28 - 12:15 AM

The Watcher

Henry, was that directed at me? I've seen all of his movies - except SP - and I did state that he's not a bad director. I love 300, Dawn of the Dead & Watchmen Ultimate/Director's Cut; I hated Guardians and SP looks to be no better.

Mar 28 - 05:00 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

So he's not like Bay?

Mar 28 - 05:42 PM

AL Green

Doc, Snyder is not writing Superman.

Mar 28 - 12:56 PM

DOCTOR P.

DOCTOR PRIME

He's directing it so chances are that even if the script is good, he could still change what gets shot, it wouldn't be the first time it's happen in the industry.

Mar 28 - 03:59 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

You're right, but for some reason that doesn't make me want to see Diary. Oh well, more money in my pocket.

Mar 28 - 05:44 PM

I think it's safe to say that Sucker Punch got... sucker punched? haha

Mar 27 - 09:00 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

lol

Mar 28 - 05:41 PM

Henry O.

Henry Owens

No watcher, i'm sorry.
It's just aimed at people who are dissing snyder.

Mar 29 - 01:36 AM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

On another note, is Zack Snyder going to be the next Michael Bay?

Mar 27 - 08:34 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Mar 28 - 05:03 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

It's how they roll around here, dude.

Mar 28 - 10:04 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

Mar 28 - 10:09 AM

Mar 28 - 12:51 PM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

Mar 27 - 08:34 PM

Mar 27 - 10:01 PM

blattman

Mike Greenblatt

Wimpy kid was fun and well received by the crowd I saw it with. Sucker Punch was visually way cool but the plot or lack thereof left me scratching my head about several things by the end.

Mar 27 - 08:34 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Good one Doomzdavo!

Ok, I saw it and it was pretty awful. However, first things first. I did not heed the Tomato rating because I had already decided to ignore it. I promised my brother after skipping Battle L.A. (after it bombed with the critics) that I would at least accompany him to see Sucker Punch, regardless of the reviews. So I purposely avoided reading any before hand and not till this afternoon did I even realize it was at 20% (ouch... and for good reason).

Secondly, I haven't actually seen all of Sucker Punch. At 45 minutes in (around the third fantasy action sequence) the fire alarm in the IMAX went off and the entire theater was forced to evacuate the building. False alarm, but the staff never figured out how to fix the IMAX projector after it had been shut off by an emergency.

But I can tell you what I saw was not encouraging. The visuals were incredible... but they were nestled in a plot that was one of the silliest and most nonsensical I've ever seen. Snyder failed miserably in trying to tell a story in a Nolan-esque way. I wish the rumors of it being a musical had been true. The kind of nonsense he put on the screen might have made sense in the ridiculous logic of a song and dance movie.

Although I didn't see the entire movie (we got a pass to return but we're going to use it for something else), I left Sucker Punch feeling as if I'd been promised sex and had to settle for masturbation.

Mar 27 - 08:36 PM

Cory B

You've hit the nail on the head. And be glad you didn't get to see the ending. It's... kinda lame.

Mar 27 - 10:05 PM

Mar 28 - 05:00 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

So he's not like Bay?

Mar 28 - 05:42 PM

AL Green

Doc, Snyder is not writing Superman.

Mar 28 - 12:56 PM

DOCTOR P.

DOCTOR PRIME

Mar 28 - 03:59 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Mar 28 - 05:44 PM

Dakota -Kapodaco- Gordon

Dakota Gordon

Diary of a Wimpy Kid beat Sucker Punch? I wonder if me not watching Sucker Punch like I originally planned had affected that? Hmm... Well, this week was rather boring, knowing how well Hop will do is my burning desire.

Mar 27 - 08:46 PM

I think it's safe to say that Sucker Punch got... sucker punched? haha

Mar 27 - 09:00 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

lol

Mar 28 - 05:41 PM

Henry O.

Henry Owens

No watcher, i'm sorry.
It's just aimed at people who are dissing snyder.

Mar 29 - 01:36 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Mar 28 - 07:53 AM

Mar 28 - 12:40 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

You liked NEWSIES??!! OMG call an AMBULANCE!!!

Mar 28 - 12:57 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

Mar 28 - 06:49 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Mar 28 - 09:36 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships