Summer Magic Reviews

April 26, 2008
June 16, 2007
If it was any sappier it would have been running through a tree.
½ January 21, 2008
It was cute and fun. I thought it was a nice sweet film.
February 22, 2010
Summer Magic is an underrated yet must see live action Disney musical. You'll find a few of the best songs from the Sherman Brothers in this movie. Hayley Mills has her usual charm and Burl Ives is funny in the role of Osh Popham. It's a comforting film with a silver lining! (First viewing - Late 2009)
½ March 31, 2007
Haley Mills is a fave of mine and I just purchased this DVD. This is a fun feel good movie about teen love and fitting in. DVD.
July 8, 2007
The sudden friendship between the two cousins is a little too easy, but the overall movie is great. And yes, the younger brother should remind you of Beaver since he is played by Jerry Mathers' younger brother.
½ June 18, 2007
Hayley Mills plays a nice normal person in this film. And I love the player piano use in the film. I think the elements of family, cousins, and moving all make this film special!
March 4, 2007
I love it. Hayley Mills is so charming and cute. It's a must see classic Disney film. I love Burl Ives charater Mr. Poppem. He is such a awesome actor and he shines in this movie.
½ November 3, 2006
"Be demure, sweet and pure, HIDE the real you." Oh, and Burl Ives sings the Ugly Bug Ball, Ooh, and On the Front Porch! sigh - Great Movie.
½ May 8, 2015
I watched the hell out of this movie as a kid. A fun movie to relax with, but with little conflict to really compel the viewer to get invested in what little story there is. I do love the "Pink of Perfection" song.
½ June 30, 2013
Charming Disney film set in a highly-idealized turn-of-the-century country town is like watching a musical postcard come to life. Bonus points to Burl Ives.
June 16, 2011
Every summer growing up as a kid in the early 90s, my mom and I would watch this together on Disney and we loved it! Is it cheesy? Oh yeah. Is the CGI terrible? Definitely. Are the songs cornier than a hot summer day in Kansas? You know it. But this is what makes it a family favorite. I was overjoyed when I was able to find it at my local video store. I watch it at least once a month with my mom and we constantly sing the songs. Recently I took a trip to Disneyland with my husband and was ecstatic when I heard Beautiful Beulah playing near Snow White's wishing well. The songs are terribly cheesy, but so catchy. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys the classics -- and doesn't mind the sound of Hayley Mills singing!
½ August 25, 2010
if you like Hayley Mills, Burl Ives, or old Disney live action, or musicals of any kind, give this one a chance. Burl Ives is so awesome, he really steals the show. It's totally corn ball and really kind of sexist but the songs are fun and it's really just sweet.
½ October 3, 2006
Another nostalgia film tonight. Well, I'm a bit traumatized yet, so I'm kind of regressing.

We had the Disney Channel practically as soon as it came out. To give you some idea, the first made-for-Disney-Channel movie was called [i]Tiger Town[/i], and it came out in 1983. I remember watching it. However, in those days and lasting almost twenty years, the Disney Channel actually played things like Mickey Mouse cartoons and Hayley Mills movies. If it had Tommy Kirk and Annette Funicello in it, I've seen it.

As I've said before, I feel Disney gets a bum rap from my generation. I guess we've seen too much [i]That's So Raven[/i] and such. The current Disney Channel line-up is a source of constant irritation to me; the only thing I watch there on a regular basis is [i]Kim Possible[/i]. But when I was a kid, you got this.

And this is a quintessential Disney movie of its era. For one, there's the Hayley Mills factor. She is the only one in her family of this movie to have an accent--the family's from Boston, but Hayley Mills has her usual British accent. Then, there's her younger brother, played by Jerry Mathers, one must assume because Kevin Corcoran was too old (though he's only three years younger than she, that [i]is[/i] too old for this role). Their mentor in Beulah, Maine, is played by Burl Ives. And, of course, there's perennial Disney mom Dorothy McGuire.

Oh, and the music. Oh, Disney. "The Pink of Perfection." "Ugly Bug Ball." "Flitterin'." And, of course, "Summer Magic," the title song. (And that one Burl Ives sings on the front porch, possibly "On the Front Porch.") "The Pink of Perfection" is the best of them, or anyway the funniest.

I've always liked Nancy, simply because I can see myself getting into . . . well, not these kinds of scrapes, not at all, but stupid situations caused by stupid things I've said. It happens all the time.

This movie makes me so happy. No one really wants to watch it with me, though.
March 27, 2006
It's typical Disney family-fare from the early 60s. Haley Mills is cute as the older sister in the Carey family. Eddie Hodges is not bad either as her brother. Burl Ives is enjoyable. His "Ugly Bug Ball" sequence with little Jimmy Mathers is cute, corny and memorable. Deborarh Walley is fun as cousin Julia and it's fun to see her and Mills irritating each other. There are some cute songs in here, by Sherman brothers, but you wonder what they were thinking when they wrote them.