Summer of '42 Reviews

movieguru12
July 20, 2010
Very good romance :)
½ January 3, 2010
Sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh. It was such a different time... WOW!
iLeo
January 7, 2008
Good film.
½ June 25, 2011
Quite possibly the essential and definitive "coming of age" film, at least from a male standpoint. What teenage boy hasnt fantasized about a beautiful older woman? How many teenage boys have fallen in love with their friend's mother or just a random older cougar who befriended them? This film touches on all of those aspects in addition to showing what could go through the mind of a youngster who is about to enter into manhood. Very, very good and, to a lesser extent, very erotic.
February 4, 2010
Very good adaptation to the book, it?s a poignant coming of age drama that is beautifully done. Exquisite period detail, very well cast and believably told. Sensitively directed by Robert Mulligan. The score is outstanding as is the cinematography. A fine film.
½ April 28, 2008
Fine high school nostalgia picture - more subdued than similar, more popular films, and perhaps the only "coming-of-age" story I find tolerable.
November 27, 2007
A YOUNG TEEN BOY COMES OF AGE! A WELL DONE CLASSIC FILM. A LITTLE RACEY AND SEXY FOR IT;S TIME BACK THEN JENNIFER O NEAL STARS.
terris85017
½ November 19, 2007
(1971 Director: Robert Mulligan) One of my personal favorites! Sure it's teens away for the summer, etc. but this was not written to be an "American Pie" or merely a top dollar grossing 'GROSSOUT' flick! some real depth to this one!
½ August 19, 2007
I'm not sure if I ever saw this film all the way through, but everyone loved the theme song from this film.
May 5, 2007
one of the best summer movies, that truly takes you out of your seat and places you in the shoes of Hermie in the Summer of '42
October 11, 2006
Every teenage boys dream looking at dirty books, coping a feel and having a girlfriend during the summer months. Jennifer ONeill is hot in this movie set during WWII and is a modern classic.
August 23, 2006
Ya know, I saw this a very long time ago when I was like 17 or 18, and I liked it then, but I'm sure it had some very naughty stuff in it.
July 30, 2014
This coming-of-age, comedy-drama, holds up very well. It is one of the best of this genre. There is a nice balance between the comedy and some serious drama. The story is very well done. The acting is all pitch perfect.

Interestingly, this movie can be seen as the career apex for several of the actors. This fact is true, even though all of them were quite young. Our heroine is Dorothy (Jennifer O Neil). Wiki says Ms. O Neil has been married 9 times to 8 different men. She also managed to shoot herself once. This is not the record of a happy, well-adjusted person. Many unusually beautiful women seem to be both helped and cursed by their beauty. The hero, Hermie (Gary Grimes) just disappeared from the acting profession. He was very good here. Two other supporting characters of note are: Oscy (Jerry Houser) and Miriam (Christopher Norris). Both, especially Mr. Houser were excellent. Both seemed to promptly fade from the acting scene.

Its summer time and I decided to revisit this movie. I am glad I did.

It was a good trip to the flics.
January 19, 2012
Possibly one of the most frustrating acting performances ever. Grimes overacts his part of an angry young 15yr old. Why he is so angry and impatient is never explained and the dialogue comes out stilted and just plain inexplicable at times.
'Just the scene where he sees the telegram...looks at her and barely manages a very plain "soorrry"..so badly finishes off a very emotional scene.
This , however is outdone by the truly painful scene of him purchasing the condoms....so stilted, predictable and about 5 minutes too long...
I dont know if I should blame the director or Grimes...
I do know that the only reason it hit $20M was probably because we all wanted a to see the "the scene" when Dorothy and Hermie get together....but even that..though not botched..was plain vanilla.
September 5, 2010
A huge surprise for me. This is just a sweet and charming movie of a boy trying to grow up too fast. Powerful performances by all. Highly recommend this one!
December 19, 2010
One of the best coming of age and sudden lost of a loved one movies ever.
September 9, 2010
A CLASSIC; narrated by Bill Bixby; my memories of SUMMER OF '42 remind me of a bunch of NORMAN ROCKWELL PAINTINGS.

Starring Jennifer O'Neil who would later appear in LUCIO FULCI'S Seven Notes in Black (aka THE PSYCHIC) and David Cronenberg's SCANNERS . . .

Summer of '42 is the movie that Wendy and Danny Torrence were watching in Stanley Kubrick's THE SHINING.

I just remember it being a very good film: The lady's husband dies overseas and Hermie Comes of Age . . .I guess Coming of age means turning into an adult where you selflessly comfort another person . . . something like that at least.

The world is very different now . . . now we get movies about some kid losing his virginity and other kids videotaping the experience and uploading it to Youtube . . .

so what: is the the world become insensitive or something?

I saw this on PRISM Cable-TV probably before SCANNERS was released in theaters.
March 21, 2010
"Summer of '42" is a funny and sad love story that hardly anyone I ever talk to has heard of. It takes place in 1942 and tells the story of three really horny young boys by the names of Hermie, Oscy, and Benjy. It's summer and the boys spend every day going to the beach, checking out the girls, and talking about making out. Hermie is the sensitive one, Oscy is the one who thinks of nothing but sex and Benjy is the younger one who just tags along. Now this movie sounds like a teen sex comedy along the lines of "Porky's" and "American Pie" but it's not. It's a beautifully told story of first love that is directed by Robert Mulligan, best known for directing "To Kill A Mockingbird." It was the fourth highest grossing film of 1971 making 26 million bucks at the box office so I have no clue why the film is so hard to find.
It's wartime and a lot of the men are away at war leaving their wives at home. Dorothy (Jennifer O'Neill) is one of these so called war brides and the object of Hermie's affection. Like I said before Hermie is the sensitive boy, very well played by Gary Grimes. He's 15, loves to read, and dreams of being a writer one day. It is actually the grown up Hermie that narrates the story. The film is based on a novel by Herman Raucher so this may be a true story but the book says fiction. Hermie starts kind of following Dorothy around, helping her with some odd jobs around the house, and actually they become somewhat good friends. But Oscy, who supposedly knows all, is right behind Hermie telling him what he's doing wrong and right.
Now the film has some very funny scenes as well. There's a hilarious scene where Hermie goes into a drug store to buy condoms and when the clerk asks him how many he needs he replies "Oh about 3 dozen." Another really funny scene has Hermie and Oscy double dating and Hermie thinks he's hit the goldmine by "copping a feel" but in reality has squeezed the poor girls arm off for over an hour leaving her arm bruised. The film has a very sad ending so if you cry at movies get the kleenex ready.
I saw this movie when I was around 10 back in the day when we rented vhs tapes and hadn't seen this film in years until I found it in the 5 buck dvd section at Wal-Mart a couple of months ago. I've never seen this film on tv, never seen it on Turner Classics or any movie channel and was beginning to think I was never going to see it again and no had heard of it. So it may take some searching to find this movie but its really worth looking for and seeing. I've watched it with friend because I won't let anyone borrow it because I'm afraid I'll never find it unless I pay 20 bucks for it at Amazon, which if I had to I would. Should have bought 2 copies. The movie won an Oscar for Best Original Score and was nominated for Best Screenplay Adaptation. It was released by Warner Brothers and Rated R, though it would probably get a PG-13 rating now.
**TRIVIA ALERT - For all you fans of "The Shining," Stanley Kubrick was said to be a big fan of this film. This is the movie Wendy and Danny are watching at The Overlook.**
February 4, 2010