Sunset

—— Unforgettable: Season 3

Sunset Reviews

David S

April 25, 2010
Re-watched this last night with my dad. We used to watch this film over and over when I was younger and although I never remember it being great I always used to enjoy it. It's still fun and the film has a great period detail look to it. Bruce Willis wasn't yet the big star he would become (although he would do 'Die Hard' that year) but had worked with Blake Edwards on 'Blind Date' and brings a lot of his Moonlighting charm to the role of real life cowboy star Tom Mix. However James Garner is the star here and steals the film from Willis. He would do the same again in a few years in 'Maverick' with Mel Gibson. This is probably one of the first hollywood villains Malcolm McDowell played and is loosely based on Chaplin. The whole thing is a lot of fun and an innocent way to spend a couple of hours. And remember, it's all true...give or take a lie or two.
filmlover1994
April 18, 2014
I Like Bruce Willis.
June 16, 2012
in "sunset", things just seem to happen, rather than letting the characters push the story forward. there are some good moments here, but what's really missing is blake edwards' sense of humor.
Kirbert
June 9, 2012
I thought this was kind of a hoot, actually. It's not deep or anything, it's basically just a vehicle for James Garner and Bruce Willis to be the characters they do best. Oh, and it's got some beautiful cars in it!
Virus
April 3, 2008
Not a massive failure like I've heard, but most of the film doesn't work. I found James Garner to be great, but Bruce Willis completely lacking.
gillianren
March 21, 2007
I'm not sure how people who live, presumably, in LA can think that Pasadena was surrounded by miles and miles of nothingness in 1929. Especially given that its train station is practically [i]in[/i] downtown Pasadena; it's about six blocks from the center of town, if that. I should know. I went to high school about another six blocks beyond it.

Also, Wyatt Earp died in January, 1929, actually in Los Angeles. Accompanied by his common-law wife, Josephine Marcus, as the narrator reminds us at the end of [i]Tombstone[/i]. No affair with a young woman whose mother was a prostitute. (And raise your hands, everyone anticipating the villain, poor Malcolm McDowell, being her father.) He was dead before that Academy Awards ceremony--not yet the Oscars; not "Oscars" for a few more years.

Tom Mix, played adequately by Bruce Willis here, was in fact one of the pall bearers at Wyatt Earp's funeral, though his career in the sound era never quite reached the heights it did in the silents. (He was in [i]Destry Rides Again[/i], playing Jimmy Stewart's father, though.) Nowadays, hardly anyone remembers him. I mean, I do, but I'm special that way.

The Hollywood this movie tries to paint for us probably never really existed. For a start, I find it rather unlikely that Tom Mix (who was from Pennsylvania originally) just sort of wandered around in his cowboy outfits, wearing guns. There also doesn't strike me as much call for horses in Pasadena of the era; it's never been zoned for them, at least not since that started being something you zoned for.

Our Heroes' ages are wrong, too. Tom Mix, in fact, was nearly fifty and Wyatt Earp about 80 at the time the movie was set. Both actors are far too young. James Garner [i]now[/i] is about the right age. And again, Josephine Marcus--who never left her husband's side--is notably missing, so that Wyatt Earp can be emotionally attached to the young Mariel Hemingway--who is frankly largely famous because of who her grandfather was.

This isn't a good movie. Still, it's light, entertaining fare, with a bit of nostalgia thrown in. It's also remarkably tame for a movie set in large part in a brothel and among prostitutes.
littletramp
March 4, 2006
Hey Peeps! I guess I'm the only weird cat that really enjoyed this flick! It was good energy and a feel good thing!!
Very funny Doca Jones! I think even the Bruce disliked this one? I loved it!