• PG-13, 2 hr. 21 min.

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Sunshine State Reviews

John B

October 30, 2012
John Sayles' component film is a disappointment only because we expect so much more from him. A good film on the pressures of community and the price that individuals are willing to pay to "sell out". Nonethless, we expect more.
December 24, 2011
Multiple inter-related story lines, about values and the cost of progress
August 31, 2011
It was a bit long, bit I thought it was mostly engaging. It had interesting messages about gentrification, race, and the thing everyday things that people go through in life. The dialogue is a little bit theatrical and quirky which I would expect from John sayles. Edie Falco is the stand out performer (when is she not?) and Angela Bassett and Jane Alexander have nice turns here as well. It feels timely in terms of it's themes of buying out small towns so people can develop properties, but now nearly ten years later many people can't pay their mortgages on those new and exciting properties.
McFly88
April 22, 2010
Great Story, Great Acting, Too Long. Classic
Brody M

September 3, 2010
The description was interesting but the actual movie was boring! After wanting to turn it off a couple times, I finally did
January 11, 2009
i was expecting more but... at the end is ok. not enough but ok.
RocketToTheMoon
November 26, 2008
Not as exciting as I thought it would be.
Red L

September 19, 2008
A long movie - about two families in a Florida neighbourhood. The story includes a little of everything - family, greed, bias, expectations, suicide, fidelity, unplanned pregnancy, etc. etc. I enjoyed it - almost have to watch it again to recall all the stories.
Anthony V

June 27, 2008
Not the best John Sayles outing, but does have its moments.
DistractinglyBombastic
March 21, 2007
The Sunshine State is an OK film, but a let down when the cast is considered. I wanted to see it because of Edie Falco especially, but it was a waste of her talent.

There was a point to it, but the whole film was belabored, it was drawn out, it's not something I'd run out and rent if I were you.
Virus
December 17, 2007
Well acted and written. It's Sayle's best work, but it's passable.
Tim S

August 1, 2007
Edie Falco leads an impressive cast and John Sayles always gives you something to think about after the movie is over.
July 31, 2007
Not one of John Sayles' best.
maxjohannsen
May 22, 2007
typical sayles -- very good, funny, deals with difficult themes in complex and provocative ways -- race, class, center vs periphery -- those sorts of things. very american, but not the worse for it. not quite as good as lonestar, which is nearly perfect, but a great film nonetheless, and deals with hypocrisy, deception and corporate greed, how they intersect and affect the lives of so many in such a way that audiences should see it for its educational value alone
skbreese
March 11, 2007
Multiple inter-related story lines, about values and the cost of progress
January 10, 2007
What a waste of a great cast and what should have been a good tale to tell. Has to be one of the most poorly written scripts ever. Just terrible - story line all over the place - was painful to the very end...I wouldn't recommend this film to anyone. PU
SaxophoneScone
December 23, 2006
alright but had trouble keeping awake, why does john sayles make sleepy time movies.
SarahJoyFrost
December 11, 2006
i would like to see this
November 10, 2006