J.J. Abrams Talks Super 8

Summary

Just in time for the "Super 8" Super Bowl spot, here's a Hero Complex interview with J.J. Abrams offering some new details. Back to Article

Comments

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

JJ talks about his original sci-fi film like it's an NC-17 film and there's no way that people are gonna go out and see it. He should take heart in what Nolan accomplished last summer.

Feb 7 - 04:59 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

While fanboys were creaming their shorts over the Captain America Superbowl commercial I was having the same reaction over Super 8. It looks so much like a throwback to the golden era of sci-fi, 1977-1982. It reminded me of E.T., Close Encounters, even Poltergeist. It's sad when a director worries about his movie because it's not based on a comic, franchise, or toy. Can we just have one or two blockbusters each year that are actually based on cool ideas and great storytelling? Is that too much to ask?

Feb 7 - 09:15 AM

Vortex&Vertigo

Joel Feliciano

Dude I had the same reaction, it looked soooo cool. I'm glad JJ Abrahams is in Hollywood.

Feb 7 - 12:23 PM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

I had the same reaction, too. The minute I saw that kid riding his bicycle I thought of Elliot from E.T. I really hope this ends up being a great sci-fi classic; and I'll be honest, before that preview, I wasn't excited for this at all. As much as I love great comic book movies like Spider-Man 1 and 2, Batman Begins, and The Dark Knight, and as awesome as Captain America looks, I really want to see more original films like this become classics (like last year's Inception). I'd really love for this movie to have some old-fashioned E.T./Close Encounters movie magic.

Feb 7 - 09:17 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

A lot of people who were firmly on the fence for Captain America were pleasantly surprised by the trailer and dare I say it may have had their doubts or ill feelings towards the project completely changed by what they saw. So I think their excitement post SB has been understandable.

Loved the Super8 trailer, will Abrams latest project be the successor to ET & Close Encounters? No idea, but really hoping that it turns out to be good regardless

Feb 8 - 03:34 AM

Vortex&Vertigo

Joel Feliciano

Feb 7 - 12:23 PM

Two21

Two 21

Maybe I'm old school, but I still like to base my decision on whether or not to go see a film on what the film is about and whether or not it interests me. Can't say I'm a fan of this "Wanna know what it's about? Buy a Ticket!" brand of marketing.

Feb 7 - 05:11 PM

Drew D.

Drew DiMassa

It's about teens in the 70's who set out to film an amateur zombie film with their Super 8 camera. In the process they witness a car crashing into a train, which holds a monster being transferred from Area 51. The monster wrecks havok on the small town and the teens capture the footage. That should be plenty of information so I'm not sure what else you need to know....

Feb 7 - 07:17 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

Yeah, Drew is right, I know ENOUGH about it to be interested. I don't need to know half the damn plot. I'd rather have some mystery. Like Inception: didn't know what the hell the story was but the images and concept were enough to get me excited. After that, I went on word of mouth and reviews.

Feb 8 - 03:03 AM

Drew D.

Drew DiMassa

Feb 7 - 07:17 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

This was probably the best film commercial of the superbowl. Showed enough to get the excitement going, but kept it spare enough to keep the mystery.

Feb 7 - 07:21 PM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

Feb 7 - 09:17 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

Feb 8 - 03:03 AM

rle4lunch

Chad W

Indeed... To quote Brad Pitt, "What's in the box???"

Feb 8 - 03:13 AM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Feb 8 - 03:34 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office