Box Office Guru Wrapup: Super 8 Captures #1 Spot

Summary

Back to Article

Comments

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

SUPER 8 IS WONDERFUL!!!!! you must see it soon!!!! (Filmed in West Virginia; West Virginia has got to be the poorest state in The Union. . . every film should be filmed in West Virginia for the next five years)

Jun 13 - 07:56 AM

rle4lunch

Chad W

Gordo, that's a bit asinine of a statement don't you think? Comon' man. How could a remake (hypothetical) of Flight of the Phoenix, or Sahara, or Gladiator, or ANY OTHER MOVIE IN THE WORLD, that needs a certain location to shoot in something other than lush green hills and mountains, be done? Think man, think! lol

Jun 13 - 02:18 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

SUPER 8 IS WONDERFUL!!!!! you must see it soon!!!! (Filmed in West Virginia; West Virginia has got to be the poorest state in The Union. . . every film should be filmed in West Virginia for the next five years.

Every Hollywood Film is an industry unto itself and "Location Shoots" PUMP TONS OF MONEY into the locale's economy!

Jun 13 - 07:59 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

That's what I was saying and Val, that's cool, I like escapist cinema as much as the next guy, but I want it to be good escapist cinema which for me Pirates wasn't. It just seemed to me to ramble on forever with nothing to really say.

Jun 13 - 07:59 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

I agree. Also, JJ is looking like he is going to make lens flares his signature much like John Woo made doves his. Give it up JJ. I enjoyed the film though. Elle Fanning can act. 75%

Jun 13 - 09:31 AM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

Lens flares were annoying in Star Trek but at least in that film, they made sense. There's was no reason to have so many lens flares in Super 8. Somebody's gotta talk to JJ cutting that out!

Jun 13 - 03:42 PM

Amalgamate7

Norman Dostal

originality? not one single original element in that movie...havent seen many movies huh? it was OK, but not original

Jun 13 - 10:21 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I agree. The most depressing thing about Super 8 is when it started off Paying Homage to Spielberg coming of age adventures then suddenly starts ripping them off entirely. Not a bad film at all but I was disappointed.

Jun 14 - 08:45 AM

Spencer S.

Spencer Saunders

I'm seeing Super 8 today, should be good.

Jun 13 - 10:45 AM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I enjoyed Super 8, but I agree with Bloody Mathias above in that it was more compelling as a coming of age story centered on the children than as a sci-fi monster movie. The movie failed to really focus in on the monster until the end of the second act, where the story started to shift to what was happening with the creature more, and by this point it seemed like Abbrams was just trying to make it to the end, hit all the plot points involving the government and the creature he needed to, and wrap the thing up. It was not bad, just not as fluid and organic as it should have been. I think Abbrams should have worked to incorporate the monster's story into the plot more, so that it was not cramming all that stuff in during the last act, and the resolution would have been more satisfying. Overall, I would give it a 75%.

Jun 13 - 11:09 AM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I was mixed on the creature, as well. I am going to talk about it, so if you do not want to have an idea what it looks like DO NOT READ FURTHER! Anyway, I liked that Abbrams wanted something that was big and hulking and badass, but when it came down to some of the plot elements, the huge nature of the monster made it a little hard to believe. One of my other gripes was that they never really gave a good view of the creature in its entirety, not even at the end. We got to see his face up close and detailed, but that was it. The rest of the time it was always covered by darkness or the camera was placed far away.

Jun 13 - 11:13 AM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Poor taste, unfortunately, exists everywhere... that I know from personal experience. However, I wouldn't necessarily classify Pirates under that category. I enjoyed Tides more than Chest and End, and it was quite enjoyable for the 2 hours that it was on-screen. Insanely forgettable, safe and mediocre, but it's Disney so I don't know what else you can expect.

Jun 13 - 11:18 AM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Ok, I'm having a brain fart. WHat movies have been #1 for more than one weekend in 2011? Has it JUST been Thor? Maybe Rio? Am I even wrong on THOSE two?

Jun 13 - 11:21 AM

sethbthomas1

Seth Thomas

Rio, Hop, and Thor were all number 1 for 2 weeks in a row but no others for number 1 for more than 1 week

Jun 13 - 08:28 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Thanks! I completely forgot about Hop. And I thought no others were #1 for 2 weeks, and none more than 2 weeks.

Jun 13 - 08:47 PM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

SPOILER ALERT DO NOT READ AHEAD!: i also thought it was really lame how the alien was "eating" the people he kidnapped and not doing something else, but for some reason kept them alive before he was going to eat them. My GF stated he didn't want to and there were no animals around to eat. There was clearly a scene where you could see cows next to the road after the evacuation scene. I really don't see the motivation he had to kidnap and then eat those people.

Jun 13 - 11:21 AM

Iceman Cometh

Adam Levin

he was kinda of pissed at humans for, you know, holding him prisoner and experimenting on him for all those years

Jun 13 - 04:14 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Exactly, if aliens held me prisoner for 30 years and tortured me, I'd probably eat them...I'm just sayin'.

Jun 14 - 04:55 AM

smi1ey

Matt Dunn

Super 8 was super awesome. I wasn't expecting much going in, but it was a thoroughly entertaining film! Takes me back to the style of films in the 70s and 80s, and you can definitely feel Spielberg's influence on this one, as well as Abrams.

Jun 13 - 11:29 AM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Seeing Super 8 this weekend. Glad to hear it popping up at the top.

Jun 13 - 12:43 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

I agree. H3 doesn't even need to be mad let alone H2 before it.

Jun 13 - 12:45 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

Nice work, Super 8. I'll see that when I get around it. I haven't seen X-Men and I'm going later today. I can wait for Super 8 and Green Lantern. After X-Men, Cars 2 and Transformers, baby!

Jun 13 - 01:06 PM

Eric M.

Eric McInnis

Finally. Someone who's excited for Cars 2, like me.

Jun 13 - 05:04 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I liked Cars, but Cars 2 trailers haven't really excited me, but it's Pixar so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Jun 14 - 04:56 AM

rle4lunch

Chad W

Jun 13 - 02:18 PM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

Jun 13 - 03:42 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships