—— Hercules Jul 25

76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Super 8 Reviews

Eric B.
June 30, 2011
Pretty damn good, and the Alien looks Amazing. And it had a great story that was told well.
TheFeldster
June 13, 2014
Yet another brilliant film directed by J.J. Abrams - who was in a break between his two additions to the Star Trek franchise when he filmed this movie - this mixes the often hit-and-miss sci-fi horror genre with Abrams visual flair and producer Steven Spielberg's crowd-pleasing tendencies.

While there are plenty of characters in this film, all of what makes it work come in the form of the children at the centre of the plot, namely Joe (Joel Courtney) and Alice (Elle Fanning), whose story of early love is one many can relate to, but is not a plotline that is thrown into the face of the audience, instead existing as a subplot.

Meanwhile, a lost and confused alien held by the Air Force has escaped and is causing havoc in a small Ohio town, and that's where the sci-fi comes into it.

Telling a story like this through the eyes of children is something that gives it, I think, more genuine scares, as the audience goes back to a more vulnerable time in their own life.

It's basically a very enjoyable Spielberg film.
Buggy43
May 8, 2014
This very much reminded me of those early Stephen Spielberg films or Stephen King books/movies from the 80's. Its basically an homage to those (Goonies, E.T, Stand By Me) even going so far as to take place in 1979. We follow a group of friends (including the obligatory fat kid) in small town Ohio as they attempt to film an amateur movie for a school project. While filming they witness a train derailment (big special effects here and pretty cool) and then an otherworldly force begins to stalk their town. Of course it's only the kids that know what's really going on as the army descends and adults scramble. I'd be curious to see what the YA crowd thought of this, it didn't do much for me. IDK though? I can still watch ET and feel the magic, the magic was missing here. As a tribute film this works just fine. The completed zombie movie shown during the credits was good. 6/2/14
August 2, 2011
JJ Abrams written/directed and Steven Spielberg produced movie about a bunch of kids in the year I was born ('79) who witness a train crash while making a zombie movie on their super 8 camera.

To be honest, I've no idea why it was set in that year: with only slight changes, the plot could have very easily been given a more contemporary setting: replace the camera with an iPhone, find a reason for a couple of days delay, and away you go!

Also found this one to be a bit on the slow side: this is no E.T., no Raiders of the Lost Ark or even no War of the Worlds. Watchable, but not great
June 6, 2011
I'd heard mixed reviews about this one, but I really enjoyed it. The young actors are surprisingly effective (perhaps because they weren't too young nor a collection of indistinguishable pretty boys as is the trend these days). The action is brisk but not overpowering, the dialogue is sharp and the film just looks good. The whole thing was reminiscent of the days of E.T. and Close Encounters - the same aesthetic. Kyle Chandler is solid as the father. It may not be flawless, but it really was a breath of fresh air. Worth checking out.
June 19, 2011
Super 8 showcases its young talented actors with a tightly written script.
mattsigurgmailcom
May 27, 2014
J.J. Abrams will never make an original film, but he does know how to stage an exciting action sequence.
May 26, 2014
I love you coach Taylor!
May 25, 2014
Perfect in almost every way, J.J. Abrams succeeds in creating two excellent films in a row, after Star Trek.
June 17, 2011
I love trains...
In reviewing don't forget nostalgia, a practicing of creating,
Its a harder one to break down, steadier pace
Writing is tight, directing good
Money, the big Hollywood budget
is all over the place but never in front of you...
Mike N.
May 20, 2014
reminds me to not assume i wont like something..I was blown away..really enjoyed it in every way...salutes to cinema.
April 19, 2011
Good film, worth a watch.
p c.
May 18, 2014
Kids were good actors. Wanted to see the alien in more detail.
The pup of Wall street
May 18, 2014
The alien was under developed and the ending was annoyingly sentimental, but the thing that make Super 8 is the kids. Abrams and Spielberg do a great job of making this kids act like kids. There's also a hilarious unexpected F bomb that was funny enough for me to raise this movie an entire point.
May 17, 2014
Sort of mix between E.T. and The Gonnies with a tad bit of The Walking Dead mixed into it since the focus is more about the people than the actual alien.
June 11, 2011
Loved this film, my all-time favorite alien movie.
May 15, 2014
With an outstanding tribute to all things Spielberg, Abrams cements his place as a considerable talent to be watched.
June 12, 2011
Not super but not bad either.
May 1, 2014