Superman ieotdeon sanai (If I were Superman) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Superman ieotdeon sanai (If I were Superman) Reviews

ajaymuthecooldevils
March 24, 2009
A very good movie I think, that word were in my mind for at least about an hour after watching this movie because this movie were so original and funny, and I like it... But what happen latter is a disaster I think... Not only the story become more confusing, right after the girl knew the Superman identity, but it flow with very very slowly and I almost sleep because of that!!! The ending wasn't a bad ending, it can be considered as the best ending happened for this movie, but the scenes before the ending were really really bad and boring, too disappointing... Overall, for almost an hour it's a good movie, you'll like it, but after that you can become bored like me, or you still like it until it comes to the ending...
May 23, 2014
Surprisingly, for an unknown Korean film, this was rather entertaining in a mildly odd and almost mainstream kind of way. The two leads were about as captivating as they could be considering the language barrier, the subtitles weren't far from perfect and the use of (Western) music in particular scenes was appropriately touching. I actually laughed several times during the first half an hour, before the plot took a turn for the serious, whereupon it became a memorably uplifting movie. Easily the best Korean film I've ever seen and maybe the best 'Superman' film too. 8.5/10
August 17, 2012
Too much emotion can make your feelings as human!
February 14, 2012
Super.....last 20 minutes. The rest was ok. Not one to rush out and buy, although mildly amusing.
July 11, 2010
chiar k in ziua de azi esti considerat putzin nebun dak ajuti un necunoscut
in general a combinat foarte bine comicul cu dramaticul
½ November 6, 2011
Good dramedy flick with a double personality: the comedy side works very well, with the right notes of melancholy yet visibile. The drama side drags a lot, lenient to asian taste for pathetism and overstating. Better than the majority of Superman flicks, nonetheless.
½ August 6, 2011
JJH cute banget disini :D
sayang sutradara kurang bisa mengolah emosi penonton, yg ada malah nahan kantuk
½ March 3, 2011
" Strength doesn't open big iron doors but a small key.. "
½ February 18, 2011
Había visto esta película hace como 2 años creo. Pero como me la top (C) de casualidad ahora y ví que todavía no le hacía la critica, aprovecho. Me gustó montones. Aparte de contar con una de mis actrices asiáticas de filmes favorita, Jun Ji-hyun (me niego a llamarla Gianna Jun!), la cinta cuenta con un guión brillante e inteligente que te mantiene en el filo entre la realidad y la fantasía, permeando ambos estados y logrando que el expectador desee que la fantasía tome control. Tiene elementos en la historia que para los fans de comics, los encontraran ingeniosos. Pero en sí, la cinta puede ser disfrutada por cualquiera. Altamente recomendada.
November 10, 2010
A superhero isn't necessarily defined by his powers, but rather, his zeal for helping others and the purity of his heart...

A good movie... entertaining and great performance by the main actor and actress (Jun Ji-hyun)...
½ December 12, 2009
The premise of "A Man who was Superman" is quite interesting and promises to deliver a nice tragic comedy. Moreover, there are two well-known faces in shape of Jun Ji-hyun ("My Sassy Girl", "Blood: The Last Vampire") and Hwang Jeong-min ("Happiness", "You are my Sunshine") to be found in the film, who should actually be capable of delivering quality cinema. Director Jeong Yoon-chul doesn't succeed in building on the success of his hit "Marathon", though, as it was already the case with "Skeletons in the Closet". Mostly that's because his newest film can't make use of its actual inherent strength. The tragedy and drama that go hand in hand with the main character's portrayal is never really shown to advantage. The first hour of the movie we actually are aware of where the director wants to go, but he never truely succeeds in pushing the right buttons. The mix of drama and comedy never works out the way it should and until the last third the movie simply passes by without arousing any true interest. The emotional ending comes a bit too late and can only make up for the rest to a limited degree.

Hwang Jeong-min plays the guy in a Hawaii-shirt who believes to be Superman. Solely his portrayal of the naive, gentle and slightly retarded appearing man is the reason why the viewer doesn't completely lose interest in the events as the movie progresses. Hwang is an excellent actor who manages to bestow some nice peculiarities on his character, e.g. his dance of joy or the light in his eyes when he can help someone. Jun Ji-hyun on the other hand takes on a meaningless supporting role that can be called solid at best. Seemingly, the script writers wanted to give her some character flaws, but they never really come across. For example she is supposed to be someone who smokes like a chimney, but apparently Jun had so much problems with this, being a non-smoker, that she may have a cigarette in her hand at times, but never really smokes one. That looks rather cheap.

Even worse is the fact that the chemistry between Soo-jung and Superman isn't right. What interest does the reporter have in the supposed superhero? Furthermore, her colleagues talk about her having undergone a change at the end of the film, but the viewer didn't witness that. That's also the reason why it's irritating that Soo-jung seems to feel so close to the main character later on.
Unfortunately, the story also doesn't progress for quite a while. The movie seems to go nowhere and having lost nearly all of our patience we hope that something might actually happen eventually. Yet, "A Man who was Superman" takes its time. Only a few minor gags can be entertaining. Naturally, they include some allusions to Superman. There is the single greasy lock of hair or the "S" on the chest of the hero, but the different superpowers are also emulated by worldly means so that our hero actually uses them in his own fantasy world. In a small sequence the man without a past talks about his time as a Clark Kent double at a big newspaper or on other occasions he tries to push the world back from the sun by doing a handstand. And that even though we all know that only Chuck Norris is capable of doing that...

The movie often grants a glance into the mind of the protagonist during those scenes and we get to see what "Superman" perceives of the world. At times this hero reminds us of Don Quixote when he fights against windmills resp. villians in shape of dredges etc. That's what makes it easy for us to root for this hero who sees himself as a friend of mankind trying to save the earth. Director Jeong exposes and criticizes the lack of readiness to help others and the prevalent passivity nowadays. However, he by no means does so in a subtle manner, but at times really hams it up. Especially when we get to know more about the past of Hwang's character this becomes very apparent. What couldn't really captivate us at the beginning finally becomes more emotionally involving during the last third. Still, as already said Jeong's approach is quite manipulative, yet it works out better than expected and the drama that unfolds can even move to tears, mostly thanks to Hwang's acting.

At the end you will ask yourself why it had to take so long for the movie to get going. "A Man who was Superman" could have been so much more, but director Jeong conveys his message in a sometimes annoyingly direct way and he also does so too late. The movie's biggest problem, though, is the mix between drama, comedy and fantasy which never really works out. That's why you will be left behind with mixed feelings at the end. As already said, the ending manages to convey the right emotions, but more subtlety and coherence with the rest of the film would have been desirable. Sadly, Jun Ji-hyun also disappoints, only Hwang Jeong-min saves the movie and powerfully shoulders it in emotional respects. Thus, "A Man who was Superman" is a film which doesn't make my job of rating easy. Without the conciliatory ending and Hwang's great performance the score would have been worse, however.
July 9, 2010
Il film parte come una commedia, a dire la verità non troppo riuscita, ma poi sfocia nel drammatico, raccontando una storia triste ed emozionante e concludendosi con un finale estremamente coinvolgente. Peccato per qualche ingenuità dettata da un eccessivo lirismo e per una prima parte così così: poteva essere un colpo grosso, così com'è resta solo un film piacevole adatto a riempire una serata...
December 26, 2009
make superman movie to shame lol
November 20, 2009
Gianna rocks!! another bittersweet movie from this nappz lead actress. this movie is touching and i love the analogy by the lead, our inherent civic-mindedness has been blocked because some baddies have embedded kryptonite into our heads. that's why we don't care for each another anymore. A bit sad....

Good movie.
½ September 30, 2009
funny/silly/sad Korean film, which is worth watching.
September 18, 2009
Too much emotion can make your feelings as human!
September 9, 2009
Si se va a ciegas el titulo hace esperar otro tipo de cinta, puede parecer una tipica pelicula coreana y tal vez lo sea, pero para aquellos que estamos acostumbrados al cine hollywoodense es muy refrescante. Una historia basada en hechos veridicos que esconde una gran verdad.
August 7, 2009
"If I were Superman" aka "A man who was Superman" is a slow-paced Korean melodrama, with a lot of humorous moments, great acting and several unforgettable scenes. If you're into Korean movies (or Gianna Jun), I believe you've already seen this.
½ July 9, 2009
Cute, funny and typical Korean movie.
May 24, 2009
I really liked this movie. It was funny and cute but also really sad and moving. The overall message is excellent and I thought the performances were really good. Really enjoyable all around.