Hans Zimmer Talks Man of Steel Score

Summary

"John Williams is the master and I am not even going to try and go in that direction." Back to Article

Comments

Joseph Williams

Joseph Williams

I'm conflicted. On one hand I admire many of Zimmers previous projects (Lion King, Gladiator, Dark Knight Trilogy, Sherlock Holmes, Inception); but on the other hand it's kind of hard to imagine a Superman movie WITHOUT the Superman theme by John Williams. It's kind of like trying to imagine a different James Bond theme, Mission Impossible theme, or even Indiana Jones. What gives me hope though is Zimmers apparent humility towards his privilege to follow a legend; it seems his going to give his absolute best and see what happens. Because of his track record, I'm willing to believe he will give us a worthy presentation to complement the big screen return of the Last Son of Krypton. Can't wait!

Jul 12 - 11:12 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

No no no. John Williams is legend. His soundtracks are the pride and joy of my mp3 collection. Hans Zimmer is great. Gladiator and Batman Begins are among my favorite soundtracks too. Of this I think we and most would agree.... ...But I wouldn't expect the John Williams Superman theme to be in Man of Steel, any more than I'd expect Danny Elfman's Batman theme to be in The Dark Knight. The very notion that this should be done is as limited thinking as I've ever heard.

Jul 13 - 08:37 AM

Rated NCC-1701

Rated NCC-1701

It would make more sense for him to concentrate on creating motifs from the circumstances and supporters in Superman's adventure, and then wrap it up cohesively as an overture that serves as Superman's theme. That would bespeak more of his experiences rather than a frontloaded assumption of heroism.

Jul 12 - 03:50 PM

algreen99

AL Green

I dont want the old score in the new film. John Williams did his thing on Donners first film. Let it go.

Jul 12 - 06:38 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

He's not going to create something better than Williams theme which has been used in every Superman incarnation since. Like someone else said it's like trying to do a new Indy or Bond theme. Even if you do something great it's not going to ever be known as "Superman's theme" because that titles already been claimed and established...so why not just use the classic theme with all it's built up weight and nostalgia and recognizability. No one associates the theme with Donner's superman anymore than they associate the Bond theme with say "You Only Live Twice" they associate it with the character. I suspect whatever Zimmer comes up with is just going to sound odd to my ears like listening to a remake of a song which is never as good as the original you first heard.

Jul 12 - 10:01 PM

CFM

'schak Attack

No no no. John Williams is legend. His soundtracks are the pride and joy of my mp3 collection. Hans Zimmer is great. Gladiator and Batman Begins are among my favorite soundtracks too. Of this I think we and most would agree.... ...But I wouldn't expect the John Williams Superman theme to be in Man of Steel, any more than I'd expect Danny Elfman's Batman theme to be in The Dark Knight. This looks to be a very different version of Superman. The thinking that the Williams' theme would just fit right into this movie is a stretch, to say the least.

Jul 13 - 08:40 AM

Joseph Williams

Joseph Williams

Big brother said it best; we equate John Williams' theme to the character of Superman, not Richard Donner's or Bryan Singer's vision of him. Even as the directors and actors involved in the Bond series has changed.over time, the THEMATIC music has remained. But dont get me wrong; I'm not claiming that Zimmer is incapable of creating a great piece...I hope he does.

Jul 13 - 12:13 PM

Rated NCC-1701

Rated NCC-1701

Makes me wonder how Hallmark will respond with synergy. Everytime I open a Superman themed soundcard, the Williams theme plays. EH. VEH. REE. TIME.

Jul 13 - 03:04 PM

Jul 13 - 03:04 PM

Rated NCC-1701

Rated NCC-1701

Jul 13 - 03:04 PM

Movies for Tax Day
Movies for Tax Day

Your tax dollars at work, in movies.

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies