New Man of Steel Plot Details Revealed

Summary

None of that nasty green Kryptonite this time around. Back to Article

Comments

Valmordas

Val Mordas

At this point I don't see how Man of Steel won't wind up being awesome. But I guess I've expected too much before.

Apr 11 - 05:33 AM

AccursedArachnid

Accursed Arachnid

No Luthor, no kryptonite. Add in a truly frightened Clark, a weak Superman and a near soulless Pa Kent and what you are left with is something that is very modern, but not very 'Super'.

Apr 11 - 05:06 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Disagree, Luthor and kryptonite have been done to death. They had their day and it's time to move on. I see this as the necessary evolution of Superman as a character. All the great ones evolve over time.

Apr 11 - 05:36 PM

AccursedArachnid

Accursed Arachnid

You can evolve a character without changing the soul of him/her. When Nolan rebooted Batman, the origin stayed the same, the character stayed similar, he just got rid of the "fluff". What they are doing to Superman by swearing off essential parts of his backstory and changing how his parents act is altering the soul of the character. Change the soul of a character, he/she becomes a different character or at least a shadow of their former selves.

Apr 11 - 11:00 PM

Brian Hendrich

Brian Hendrich

I disagree. Just because they aren't using kryptonite or Lex Luthor doesn't mean they are altering the soul of the character. There are plenty of great Superman stories that involve neither of those things. As for the Kents, they too have often cautioned Clark to be very careful about who knows about his powers because they were afraid he could be taken away from them. I don't see this as altering the soul of the character at all, but of course final judgment needs to be reserved until we see the movie.

Apr 12 - 08:35 AM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

I don't believe he's talking so much about kryptonite or the lack of Luthor as much as he is referencing the tonal changes to who Superman/Clark is as a person. Especially Pa telling him he maybe should have let those kids die. But there hasn't been much information to go on yet.

Apr 12 - 10:57 AM

zinc alloy

zinc alloy

the soul of the character? Superman has changed numerous times since 1938 dude...what soul are you concerned with? The guy who can leap tall buildings at a single bound or the guy who can reverse the rotation of the earth and change the future....please

Apr 14 - 10:39 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I kind of agree with Accursed Arachnid on this one. A superman who is raised to never be triumphant or rise to his full potential sounds like the parents out of a Michael Bay movie. You know really crappy idiot parents. People won't be accepting of his God like powers? So what? What could mere mortals possibly due to Superman?

What ever though, Give him a Hoodie and have teenage angsty kids who's "Parents don't understand them" have a super hero to root for I guess. Still excited to see Michael Shannon as Zod though I'm happy to see him in anything. Unlike a lot of other people I'm a big Amy Adams fan too.

Apr 12 - 12:37 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I'd love to pork Amy Adams.

Apr 12 - 06:59 AM

ballermat982

ballermat 982

Yea who are these people that don't like Amy Adams? I think she's the cutest little thing, and a talented actress as well.

Apr 12 - 07:37 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

My Sister's and work colleagues. They say she always plays the "I'm a strong independent woman with a strong career! but underneath all that I'm the same cliche female stereotype who needs a Man to love and straighten her life out". I couldn't disagree more.

Apr 12 - 08:09 AM

AccursedArachnid

Accursed Arachnid

Bradly brings up an interesting point. The film is supposedly being "shepherded" by Christopher Nolan who is an admitted Michael Bay fan. It could be that just because Nolan is so inherently brilliant himself, but still has bad taste in other directors. His choice of Snyder surprised me, but not as much when you consider what other directors he has professed love for.

Apr 12 - 11:46 AM

Cody Walker

Cody Walker

It's not about what the "mere mortals" could do to Superman, it's what they could do to the people he cares about. My parents always gave me a choice about what kind of person I'd grow up to be, and in Superman's case his parents have quite a bit more to worry about. They can't impose themselves onto Superman, just guide him and let him make the right choice. Besides, villains rise up to match the good guy, so if Superman went around saving people, the quality of bad guys rises as well. It's not easy.

Apr 13 - 01:50 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

People tend to forget that Michael Bay is a technical genius, it's not surprising that most directors in Hollywood would admire Bay's technical skill with action scenes, especially someone like Nolan who action may not have come naturally to. Bay is awful in other area's admittedly, but he blows stuff up real nice.

Apr 15 - 05:10 PM

Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

I'm inclined to agree, the 'Lex Luthor/Krytonite' story has been used enough right now. Eventhough we've seen 'Zod' before, he still offers a fresher newer take than 'Lex', and it appears he will be different from the 80's 'Zod'. So we'll soon see how well "MOS" plays out.

Apr 13 - 11:10 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Can always bring in Luthor and Krytonite later on... you know they like to do these things in threes...

Apr 12 - 12:15 AM

Apr 14 - 10:39 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Apr 12 - 12:37 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I'd love to pork Amy Adams.

Apr 12 - 06:59 AM

Apr 12 - 12:15 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Apr 12 - 12:37 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I'd love to pork Amy Adams.

Apr 12 - 06:59 AM

Apr 13 - 01:50 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Apr 15 - 05:10 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I'd love to pork Amy Adams.

Apr 12 - 06:59 AM

Apr 12 - 10:57 AM

AccursedArachnid

Accursed Arachnid

Apr 12 - 11:46 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Nothing really new here. You can easily get all of these plot details from the trailer.

Personally, I think there is a lot of potential in the storyline. Yes, the misfit fitting in plot is far from breaking new ground, but then again I don't think there's anything wrong with that. After all, Disney kept using that formula again and again for their 90s animated films and yet they still produced classic after classic (speaking of which, I think the 1997 Hercules is the kind of film Man of Steel could be taking points from as it also dealt with an almost invincible main character).

Apr 13 - 03:08 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

And to think I came all the way back to the world after all this time just to comment on a Superman thread. I must say, I'm a little surprised to see the tenor of concerns surrounding this film haven't changed much even as so much more has been revealed over the past few months. Why, I wonder (and without sarcasm), are we still worried that the soul of Superman is somehow being damaged or "altered" by the decisions made on this film? Because there is no evidence of it. So far what they've done is tease out new ways to explore the mythology, and construct a narrative that allows for a fresh take on an old brand. You know, the same tree looked at from different angles. And why not? Does anyone really want to see the same damn Superman movie again? The same villain. The same approach. The plot points. I'd wager a guess that the collective answer is a resounding NO! We can pretend we do, sure, and then pan it when it comes out for being "unoriginal", "boring", "the same old, same old".
Ask me, the most intriguing thing (indeed, the best case justifying the reboot itself!) are in fact the changes they're making! No easy go to plot tricks or deux ex machinas to hide behind. No kryptonite! At last an actual compelling character given real challenges that make him truly accessible to the audience. Count me in!

Apr 13 - 06:42 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Okay here is my fear for this movie. Yes I have read way to many super man comics I admit to this and I know that creates a high expectation and I admit to that. My biggest concern with all this hoodie wearing "I'm misunderstood my parents don't understand me" crap is that will end up seeing THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN all over again only this time with a DC logo.

Apr 14 - 07:52 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

But of course his parents don't understand him. And of course he is misunderstood. Dude's from another planet and is impervious to harm. For nearly all the most important lessons we learn about ourselves and mortality growing up, from parents and through experience with accidents and whatnot, Clark pretty much has to wing it.

Apr 15 - 09:22 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

I agree with Khalil Aleem 100%. Well said, dude. In Nolan I Trust.

Apr 15 - 08:25 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Thanks, 'schak. I fixed my screenname issue as you might can tell. So Matanuki back on deck. :)

Apr 15 - 09:29 AM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

We can only wait and see how they handle this. It's kind of silly to presuppose anything. I think people are concerned because of how Singer altered Supes character, making him a deadbeat dad. That was weird. Now, when Snyder talks about taking a different approach or making Superman more new age, people freak out. Some people want to see a Superman beyond reproach, while others want a vengeful Superman. I imagine this movie will land somewhere in between.

Apr 15 - 03:54 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Agreed. Somewhere in between is where he'll fall, is where he should fall. A Superman above reproach? They'll have to change his name and take out the "man" part. A full on vengeful Superman? That's a different character. Maybe one of Image Comics' Superman ripoffs. ;)

Apr 16 - 06:59 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

And it looks like RT has gone ahead and employed the Mutant Registration Act in the meanwhile that I was gone, showing my real name instead of the screenname that, ya know, is supposed to be my goddamn screenname. Well done, RT. Well done.

Apr 13 - 06:51 AM

ballermat982

ballermat 982

I guess I've gotten used to it, but I believe it is possible to change your name back to your screenname.

Apr 13 - 07:37 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Big Brother's first thought had to be, "So who the hell is THIS guy?!"

Apr 14 - 10:32 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Solution, don't give out your real name, ever. Make something up like... I dunno, Val Mordas or something.

Apr 13 - 07:39 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

lol. yeah. Hey its fine. Not like I'm in a witness protection program or something. But here I come making this grand and epic return (MATANUKI: REBORN!!!), and RT completely blows my entrance. lol.

Apr 14 - 10:30 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

(I used to be CFM) Don't use Val Mordas, Khalil! There's already a dude with that name, and you don't want to be mistaken for that guy, cause he's a wierdo.

Apr 15 - 08:27 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

You see my solution. This site has changed a lot since I first set up an account here...not for the better.

Apr 15 - 12:04 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Dude I LOVE your name!!! lol. Its like if this were the Fonz era and your name was AAAYYY!

Apr 16 - 07:01 AM

ballermat982

ballermat 982

Apr 13 - 07:37 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Big Brother's first thought had to be, "So who the hell is THIS guy?!"

Apr 14 - 10:32 AM

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Check out Boardwalk Empire

Historical TV Shows
Historical TV Shows

40 TV depictions of past eras

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer