Critics Consensus: Man of Steel Is Up, Up, and Okay

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got the return of Superman (Man of Steel, starring Henry Cavill and Amy Adams), an apocalyptic laugh-riot (This Is the End, starring James Franco and Seth Rogen), and a one-of-a-kind love affair (Before Midnight, starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy). What do the critics have to say? Back to Article

Comments

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

I can't believe "This is the End" has such a higher rating than "Man of Steel". What a disappointment. -_-

Jun 13 - 04:49 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

This Is The End is pretty good, but so is Man of Steel from what I've seen.

Jun 13 - 05:44 PM

Andy Edwards

Andy Edwards

I saw This is the End two days ago. I though it was a really funny comedy. Man of Steel is better.

Jun 14 - 01:17 AM

Laura  P.

Laura Porter

Start working at home with Google! It's by-far the best job Ive had. Last Monday I got a new Alfa Romeo from bringing in $7778. I started this 9 months ago and practically straight away started making more than $83 per hour. I work through this link, www.Bling6.com

Jun 19 - 03:47 PM

Andy Edwards

Andy Edwards

thought* (sorry)

Jun 14 - 01:18 AM

quietus28

jj l

Just saw Man of Steel. The synopsis above is dead-on. Too much action, way over the top, and not enough character development. I wanted to like it, but was disappointed. They had the elements of a good movie: they had a good story premise, good actors and acting, but it just didn't come together.

Jun 14 - 01:51 PM

Jason Saunders

Jason Saunders

Too much action? It's a summer movie. Go rent Steel Magnolias. Superman doesnt need character development. The only thing i would have changed was giving the Super Lady more scenes. She was awesome.

Jun 14 - 02:44 PM

Todd Knaperek

Todd Knaperek

Everyone who hasn't been braindead over the last 60 years knows the backstory to Superman. Alien baby is shot through space from a dying planet, lands in Kansas, does a lot of super human things through childhood...it's been done.

I thought it was a good movie, it wasn't TDK, which everyone is probably holding it up to, but Superman was never as complex of a character as Batman was. He didn't have the flaws or limits and basically when Superman was basically god-like and invincible. You can only do so much with that type of character other than hit him with trains and level half a city in a fight.

Jun 14 - 05:42 PM

Richard Ditty

Richard Ditty

What's more over the top then a man that can fly and is basically indistructable? Superman is the definition of over the top. I would have liked to have seen a bit more dialog between the main characters but other than that it was a very good comic book movie and way better than Superman Returns. I liked how they made Superman seem more alien and less magical. I also liked how they made him a good guy but not some kind of goofy overgrown boyscout like in the Donner and Singer movies.

Jun 14 - 08:53 PM

Onyeka Obilo

Onyeka Obilo

Sir, you are echoing my EXACT emotions...way too many explosions, good (potentially great) story, very good casting and acting but it all didn't gel as expected. A lot of potential to be way better...still, enjoyable movie, I was a bit disappointed though

Jun 16 - 11:48 AM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

The only flaw was character development, that was it, we already knew how the story went, and fans already knew who these characters were. Zack Snyder nailed it with this reboot on the dark humanity of Superman.

Jun 16 - 12:39 PM

Jake Cecena

Jake Cecena

Well, it's a Zack Snyder film. It's impossible to expect a masterpiece from a director like him.

Jun 13 - 05:46 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

I read some reviews that just bashed him as a person. They mentioned a few flaws, but overall they complained. Also, many positive reviews were focused on the negatives.

Jun 13 - 06:00 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

That's ridiculous Jack. And spiteful. But I guess I have to thank you for putting Zach Snyder in the same ranks as The-Shining-era Stanley Kubrick.

Jun 13 - 06:14 PM

Al Pi

Al Pi

And it's because of idiotic ideas like this that many of the reviews are coming from. They simply don't like Snyder and they take it out on the film.

Jun 13 - 08:51 PM

Big Brother

To be fair most people seem to be criticizing the story and how it was thrown together so they don't like Goyer OR Snyder. Snyders best work has always been when he's working with someone elses proven story.

Jun 13 - 09:38 PM

Luck  Dragon

Luck Dragon

Jun 14 - 06:12 AM

Brian Toohey

Brian Toohey

I haven't liked anything he's done since Dawn of the Dead, either. 300 was all style and no substance, just terrible. Watchmen was better, but bungled as much as it did right, and still relied on those awful slowed-down, slo-mo fight sequences. And Sucker Punch was the worst of all... and still relied on what seems to have become his signature style. Some early reviews for Man of Steel were pretty stellar, and I was hoping that might mean Snyder had learned how to actually put down his 13-year-old fanboy jizzcamera and focus on characters and just tell a story, but from the low tomatometer it seems its not anywhere as good as those early reviews. There's enough dissension among the reviews that I'll check it out, but definitely more excited about This is the End.

Jun 14 - 11:46 AM

Mark Marquis

"What do you mean, they "simply don't like Zach Snyder"? Perhaps they simply don't like Zach Snyder's movies. They're not alone; I haven't liked anything he's done since Dawn of the Dead."

And I didn't even like that one. Never cared much for Snyder before this. Man of Steel, however, is fantastic.

Jun 17 - 02:16 PM

Cray-Cray Crystal

Cray-Cray Crystal

Jake Cecena, it starts with the script. Many would argue that even the best director can't make a good film based on a bad script. I'm not stating that the "Man of Steel" script is bad, however.

Jun 14 - 01:51 PM

Doc Cobb

Doc Cobb

zak snyders amazing watchmen, sucker punch, 300? ur an idiot

Jun 14 - 04:12 PM

Big Brother

Sucker Punch isn't a good movie by any standard.

Jun 15 - 09:11 AM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

Watchmen was great, but the book will always be better. Fuck the critics, they let nostalgia get the best of them, yet I still have respect for the original Christopher Reeve Supes, but things have changed now.

Jun 16 - 12:43 PM

Justin Thomas

Justin Thomas

I admit i was hesitant when I heard Snyder would be directing it. But he has made good movies like other's have said. I didn't think Man of Steel was the right job for him. But he did it. Now I am sure Christopher Nolan had some influence. But I don't care it worked!! Very happy with the outcome.

Jun 15 - 05:06 AM

Ryan Nolan

Ryan Nolan

Idk, I really liked Man of Steel. I wouldn't call it a great movie but you can't deny the sense of scale to the action....and I don't mean that in a Michael Bay sort of way, there is stuff in Man of Steel that I have never seen before. Really fun to watch imo. Characters are a bit thin but both Zod and Superman himself are fun to watch!

Jun 13 - 11:01 PM

Lucio I˝iguez

Lucio I˝iguez

Don't feel disappointing. the movie is awesome. I'm really can't understand what happen with the critics. A 70% is ok but under 60%?? Maybe I see another movie because I love Man of Steel!

Jun 14 - 12:16 AM

Mark Marquis

You aren't alone. I don't get the low score either.

Jun 17 - 02:18 PM

King  S.

King Simba

I can't believe it has a much higher rating than The Bling Ring. I mean out of the two movies featuring Emma Watson opening this week, who would have thought the Seth Rogen one would earn much better reviews than the Sofia Coppola one.

Jun 14 - 07:18 AM

John Stovall

John Stovall

They obviously saw a different version of Man of Steel than I did. Maybe professional critics can't see subtleties if there's action stuff in a movie also. They seem to really miss a lot and are frankly blind to lots of what's going on including emotional conflicts, motivations, depth and even the moments of humor. is IMO.

Jun 14 - 10:09 AM

Fred S.

Fred Sanford

Comments like that, are why you are not paid for your film views, my friend.

Jun 14 - 12:35 PM

quietus28

jj l

Agreed. I just saw the movie and think the critics are spot-on. There was next to no humor, no character development, the story was told in ham-handed fashion, the action was over-the-top and relied too much on incomprehensible CG. Disappointing flick overall.

Jun 14 - 01:53 PM

Jason Saunders

Jason Saunders

Dont put John down because his view is different from yours. The movies was very good. It wasn't Citizen Kane because it didn't have to be, it's an action movie. What would you remove? All of the action to spend an hour in Smallville? How about a plot regarding selling mountains that pop out of the water? Check the record, critics like Superman Returns and fans hated it, that should tell you everything you need to know

Jun 14 - 02:50 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

No character development? Half the fucking film was character development...and like it's been said how much of that do you really need from a Superman film, we know the story...It was a decent summer blockbuster film, that's what I went in expecting and that's what I got.

Jun 14 - 08:10 PM

Big Brother

Fans didn't hate SR's, you'll find if you check that fans thought it was better than Superman II. I would have spent time establishing the other characters in Supermans life so when they were in danger we actually gave a crap.

Jun 15 - 09:14 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

And yet Brother, if they would have spent too much time developing them it would have been a 3 hour movie. If they kept it the same length and removed some action scenes, they would have said there wasn't enough action. If they did less CGI they would have called the visuals underwhelming. They would have found fault regardless of what they saw simple based on their owns views of what the film should have been AND NOT what it actually was.

Jun 15 - 08:18 PM

Big Brother

I find fault with what the movie actually was, which was an entertaining action blockbuster with virtually nothing going for it beyond its technical splendor. Are you honestly telling me they couldn't have cut out 2 or three of the superspeed tackles in the movie and given Clark or Lois or Perry something to say that would have made them valuable to the film? They couldn't have done the movie in a linear fashion so it didn't spoil the character arc of at least Pa Kent? I wanted Superman to be good if for nothing else, so we could get more and gotten a JLA movie. The difference is that I didn't want it to be good so bad it blinded me into believing it was great when it was clearly a smartened up Transformers good for one watch to see the pretty pictures. If you're going to do Perry and the Planet folks the way they did, why not just cut them out entirely? Better they be gone than done badly.

Jun 16 - 12:08 AM

Mark Marquis

Lois was pretty valuable to the film. In fact, this Lois was the most well thought out iteration of that character I have yet seen. Her actions actually mattered. She guided the story. She wasn't relegated to the sidelines or simply the damsel in distress. She didn't have a kid. Did I mention she didn't have a kid?

Jun 17 - 02:22 PM

ram b.

ram bond

i just came from the movies, i watched man of steel, but i don't want to bash or anything, but i felt kind of confused after the film, i mean in terms of action, it's great, great visual effects, but it only needed more character development just like the critics said, it's an ok film

Jun 14 - 01:20 PM

Darrell Glover

Darrell Glover

so, what was the purpose of the FLASHBACKS is it wasn't for "character development"? Not to mention this is SUPERMAN, we know the character he will grow up to be.

Jun 16 - 12:12 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

That's what I'm wondering... and there were plenty of them.

Jun 16 - 07:22 AM

ram b.

ram bond

the relationship with lois lane isn't convincing,it was very rushed, and it felt like another generic summer blockbuster, we've seen lots of those, i prefered a more nolanesc approach in the script.

Jun 16 - 11:57 AM

Dave J

Dave J

It's going to be exactly like "The Transformers" movies where it's going to make a ton of money like 300 to 400 million, and that the general audience is going to like "The Man Of Steel" more than the RT critics do!

Jun 17 - 01:48 PM

Janson Jinnistan

It's official. Zack Snyder is kryptonite.

Wow, I've been waiting for "Berberian Sound Studio" since last year. I assumed by now it would drop on disc before getting a theatrical release. That, along with "Before Midnight" and "Bling Ring" are the ones I'm most interested in. "End" looks obnoxious, even more so for having "heartfelt" in the description. The docs look good, especially "20 Feet" and the Tomi Ungerer one. (btw, the director of "Pandora's Promise" Robert Stone is confused with the author of "Dog Soldiers" on his bio page.) "The Guillotines" looks like cheesy fun, and it's directed by (Andrew) Lau Wai-keung (Infernal Affairs), so it can't be that bad.

Jun 13 - 05:07 PM

Janson Jinnistan

And let's just get the puns out of the way - Meh of Steel, Fail-El, Man of Still?, etc.

Jun 13 - 05:12 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I kind of like "Meh of Steel" or Wil-Fail son of Did-fail.

Jun 13 - 08:48 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Zach Snyder started his career very well with Dawn of Dead, 300, and Watchmen. However, when he made that owl movie, he was a hack.
We agree that Zach Snyder killed this film. Thats a first

Jun 13 - 05:58 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Ever thought of getting a goldfish or something? You can always imagine they're interested.

Jun 13 - 06:09 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

No, we don't. I don't think it was "killed" at all.

Jun 13 - 06:15 PM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

Considering most of the reviews say the character development and story suck I would think most of the blame would go to Goyer.... The action scenes are supposedly good so if anything, Snyder tried his best but Goyer's Script was just so bad that he could only do so much..

Jun 13 - 06:35 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Yes. Goyer is poop now. Can't believe that guy wrote Dark City and now me thinks Proyas is what made that movie great.

I always felt that the story was the only real negative that the new Batmans had to offer. Too damn convoluted yet lacking detail (if that makes sense). Goyer needs one extra draft of his scripts it seems.

Jun 13 - 08:13 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Having seen Man of Steel, I would put the blame on Goyer's scripts for pretty much all of the film's faults. Snyder's direction is fine. He does not use any of the slo-mo shenanigans that he made his name on (I do not recall a single shot of slow motion in the whole movie off the top of my head), and the actors all fit into their roles very well. The best thing Goyer really did on the story was broaden Lois Lane's character and actually make her central to the story. He easily topped all three of Nolan's Batman films in regards to the female lead with Man of Steel. When Goyer is left to his own devices with no input from Nolan, Snyder, etc, we get shit like The Invisble and The Unborn. And yes, the action scenes are fantastic, probably the best of any film so far this year.

Jun 13 - 08:50 PM

Big Brother

I didn't like the non-linear storyline. I thought it hindered attachement to the character which in turn hindered the movie. Seemed like they used it as a gimmick to the detriment of the film. Also didn't buy the Superman/Lois relationship, it wasn't developed enough.

Jun 13 - 09:40 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I'll accept the Superman/Lois relationship without all the smaltsy shit this time, I think enough hero films wallow in the love story mud, to their detriment.

Jun 14 - 08:12 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Who broke your heart, Val?

I agree that the writing, not Snyder, is the film's Achilles heel, but then again that only means it's only slightly better written than the Marvel or Star Trek films of late.

Jun 15 - 06:28 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Oh cmon, yawn! I can't even think of more than maybe 2 Superhero films that a love sub-plot made better. Maybe

Jun 16 - 07:24 AM

Darren Hood

Snyders direction was inconsistent and those damn shaky cam shots during the opening krypton shots the flashback scenes were offputting. Much of Amy,s wooden performance can also be blamed on Snyder as well. Hakf of her dialogue sounded like it was read through a teleprompter in front of her Snyder should have picked up on that. Any problems with the script could ahve also been fixed by Snyder such as the symbolism of peace and the christ parallels shattered with the snap of a neck. Unless they plan on spending another movie with Kal moping over this betrayal of hi morals then I found it a breach of character and completely muddles the message and betrays the essence of the character. Then there was that ending. Metropolis is leveled yet the next scene everyone is hunky dory at the planet laughing and spurning advances oof coworkers. All of that could have been fixed by Snyder since hes the director hes the o9ne who picks which scenes work and how a perfomer relates the material. However Snyder is not a character driven director hes purly action over substance and it showed big time here.

Jun 16 - 03:13 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Totally agree with the shaky-cam criticism. Totally agree with the betrayal of character argument. The dumbness of summer superhero blockbusters have lowered my expectations considerably. I still thought this was better than most of the recent Marvel films. (And, honestly, I think the Batman trilogy are Nolan's worst films)

Jun 16 - 06:25 PM

Mark Marquis

"I didn't like the non-linear storyline. I thought it hindered attachement to the character"

Just not my experience at all. I found it very affecting. This was the most human and relatable Clark so far. I was even moved at times. Aside from Lois' death in 1978 Superman, I can't say that about any of the other Superman films.

Jun 17 - 02:28 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

When has Sucker Punch been referred to as "That Owl Movie" ???

Jun 13 - 08:49 PM

Al Pi

Al Pi

Was that a joke? Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole is what they were referring to.

Jun 13 - 08:54 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Yeah, it was a joke. I seen The Owl movie. The joke is that to my knowledge most critics say Snyder messed up with the steaming pile that is Sucker Punch. If I have to explain the joke, I realize it wasn't a very good one.

Jun 13 - 09:04 PM

Big Brother

It was a fine joke, you keep at it.

Jun 13 - 09:41 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Ironically, he's only considered "kryptonite" because sites like RT exists. If not, we would only be hearing about how the movie is "divisive, but still attracts mostly positive reviews".

Jun 13 - 06:16 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Yeah, it's all RT's fault. If it wasn't for this place, no one would have noticed that sucking sound.

Jun 14 - 05:42 AM

Francesco F.

Francesco Fortuna

David S. Goyer and Christopher Nolan are also to blame it's not just Zack Snyder...

Jun 13 - 06:36 PM

Chris Etrata

Chris Etrata

I would say the story is more of a problem than with Snyder's directing. I thought the tone was inconsistent and the story isn't that original.

Jun 13 - 07:53 PM

Darren Hood

For a film that says its a reboot it borrows heavily from the Donner films. I would have focused on Clark as the man like John Byrnes 1986 reboot and the Lois and Clark TV show. Someone who discovers his heritage later in life and becomes conflicted with just being a man not an alien from a dead world. No more predestined for heroship lets have a story where Clark chooses on his own to be a hero lets have Jorel send off his son because he simply doesnt want his son too die so soon after birth. You know some basic ideas that havent been seen on film yet.

Jun 16 - 03:27 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Why exactly should Nolan take the blame? Goyer I could see but all Nolan did was pitch the idea to the studio and afterwards took a step back. Heck, check out interviews with the cast and they're usually quick to point out that the film is "Zack Snyder's Baby".

Jun 14 - 07:24 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

To blame for what? There was nothing wrong with the film.

Jun 14 - 08:13 PM

Darren Hood

The krypton scenes especially Jor Els death, the overuse of macguffins that dont make any sense like Zods ned for the codex when clearly he abd the other kryptonian warriors have females they could clearly use for repopulation. Johnathans death could have been prevented that whole the worlds not yet ready is BS simply because the world would never be ready for a man in a cape who flies shoots heat rays from his etes and can pummel mountains. Clearly they were not ready when they tried killing him. Lois and Clarks relationship didnt feel right oh and Superman publicly announces that hes adopted earth as his new home yet doesnt weep for its people or tries to save them from falling debris when he pushes Zod into the heart of th city smashing him into buildings and most of those could have had people trapped inside. You may have thought the world of this film but as a fan who understands who Superman is and his morals non killing code I saw a mistep and genuine disrespect for the character. This Superman stood alongside h8s other movie brethren intsteaed of leaping forward

Jun 16 - 03:38 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Snyder makes childish movies. This one wasn't much different.

Jun 16 - 06:27 PM

Big Brother

In fairness they did explain that the kryptonian ladies were barren and not able to have kids though I'd have definately given it a go with Faora. Big Brother likey da bad girls.

Jun 16 - 06:52 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Calm down, folks. I'm still seeing Man of Steel this weekend. So, we'll see. The tears on this page are getting pretty funny though.

Jun 14 - 05:44 AM

7/10, btw.

Jun 16 - 06:28 PM

Jun 13 - 05:12 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I kind of like "Meh of Steel" or Wil-Fail son of Did-fail.

Jun 13 - 08:48 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

This Is The End is pretty good, but so is Man of Steel from what I've seen.

Jun 13 - 05:44 PM

Jun 14 - 01:51 PM

Doc Cobb

Doc Cobb

zak snyders amazing watchmen, sucker punch, 300? ur an idiot

Jun 14 - 04:12 PM

Big Brother

Sucker Punch isn't a good movie by any standard.

Jun 15 - 09:11 AM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

Jun 16 - 12:43 PM

Justin Thomas

Justin Thomas

Jun 15 - 05:06 AM

Carlos Flores

Carlos Flores

Definitely a disappointing result for Man of Steel. I would imagine that the blame for this will be thrown at Zach Snyder, but from the reviews this seems like more of a David S. Goyer problem. Still, Even though this isn't the critical success WB would have liked, this may still be good enough to launch a DC cinematic universe, especially with how big the box office will be. At least this isn't a Green Lantern level disaster.

Jun 13 - 05:50 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

We agree that Zach Snyder killed this film. Thats a first

Jun 13 - 05:58 PM

Jun 13 - 06:09 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

No, we don't. I don't think it was "killed" at all.

Jun 13 - 06:15 PM

Jun 13 - 08:50 PM

Jun 13 - 09:40 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Jun 14 - 08:12 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Who broke your heart, Val?

Jun 15 - 06:28 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Jun 16 - 07:24 AM

Jun 16 - 03:13 PM

Jun 16 - 06:25 PM

Jun 17 - 02:28 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

When has Sucker Punch been referred to as "That Owl Movie" ???

Jun 13 - 08:49 PM

Al Pi

Al Pi

Jun 13 - 08:54 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Jun 13 - 09:04 PM

Big Brother

It was a fine joke, you keep at it.

Jun 13 - 09:41 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Jun 13 - 06:00 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

So SM Returns is too boring, but MOS has too much action? Pick one side Critics.

Jun 13 - 06:01 PM

Jesus Contreras

Jesus Contreras

How about a more balanced film? eh?

Jun 13 - 06:36 PM

Erik Colquitt

Erik Colquitt

Exactly?
Zack Snyder gave the SM returns haters what they wanted, Superman
Punching Stuff, and now look.
In 2006 Bryan Singer gave us a Sensitive Superman and critics loved it but comic fans grew tired of
The Donner Verse.
Now we get an Action packed superman Film that YOU all asked for and the critics are pissing on it.
But Iron Man 3 ( which had no respect for the source material and Mandarin was a joke ) but it got a free pass
Because of RDJ?
Go on YouTube or IGN.com for the REAL reviews of Man of Steel.

Jun 13 - 06:50 PM

Carlos de la Torre II

Carlos de la Torre II

Disney is paying some big bucks to have this movie bashed.

Jun 13 - 08:08 PM

Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

It ain't got nothing to do with Disney bro, and remember WB owns RT so there's no agenda against "MOS". That being said I will be in the theater to see it this afternoon and very much looking forward to it, critics have their opinions and i'll see the film and judge it on my own merits, plain and simple.

Jun 14 - 12:01 AM

Michael Indo

Michael Indo

Deal with it

Jun 13 - 08:19 PM

Big Brother

People said they wanted more action, they didn't realize it was an either or with character and story though.

Jun 13 - 09:42 PM

Lucio I˝iguez

Lucio I˝iguez

100% agree. The critics don't understand the movie? Too much action? Too different to the Donner's Superman?? WTF happen with this critics? They watch the movie?? The people love it but they hated... I don't understand.

Jun 14 - 12:19 AM

Chris Etrata

Chris Etrata

The problem for me was the inconsistent tone. If it should be action, make it a popcorn flick like avengers. If it should be a character piece, make it more like dark knight. The overall result was okay but its like watching 2 different films.

Jun 13 - 07:54 PM

Markus Greenidge

Markus Greenidge

...the dark knight had plenty of action.

Jun 13 - 08:51 PM

Chris Etrata

Chris Etrata

The dark knight only used action when necessary. Man of Steel's action was like watching a different movie.

Jun 14 - 03:59 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Aside from the beginning, which had a fair amount of action, I thought the movie was light action until the climax. (Minor spoiler, not plot specific, though) There were special effects used throughout the film, true, but after the beginning, there really is not a true action sequence until the climax, which is where Snyder throws two fantastic action scenes back to back.

Jun 13 - 08:55 PM

Chris Etrata

Chris Etrata

My complaint isn't about the action specifically as the first half was more akin to dark knight trilogy but the second half was different, going in the vein of avengers/transformers. I don't mind it being all spectacle or all character piece but mashing the 2 was the biggest downfall for me. Also, the story has been told before and they don't do it really differently than last time.

Jun 14 - 03:59 PM

Janson Jinnistan

To be fair, just in terms of sheer action, I thought the climax of MOS blew Avengers/Transformers out of the water.

Jun 15 - 06:32 AM

Big Brother

Yeah, but I didn't care about the climax of MoS. Action without emotion is just a waste. In terms of sheer action Transformers III is better than The Godfather.

Jun 15 - 09:16 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Note the two films I was comparing. Relatively, there wasn't much emotion in any of these films.

Jun 15 - 10:17 PM

Big Brother

I thought the Thor/Loki relationship had a very emotional element to it, I thought Caps struggle though not touched on enough was good in the way it was used and could be great for future endeavors, The one thing I thought Scarlet Johansson did was emote Black Widows fear as a human surrounded by titans and Bruce Banner was an extremely sentimental character. It tugged my heart strings when he talked about his suicide attempt, made me laugh in his scenes with Thor and Loki and made me cheer when he gives his "Always angry" transformation. I also totally bought into his and Tony Starks bromance and if you set aside the fact that you know they're not gonna kill off RDJ because he's too good and valuable to the movie the finale would have been tense. Whedon at least made the attempt to get you emotionally invested in every character. Snyder and Goyer treated 80% of their characters as cold emotionless stunt props.

Jun 16 - 12:15 AM

Janson Jinnistan

All of these emotions you mentione, I found as contrived as a soap opera. Ersatz emotion might irritate me more than a lack of emotion.

Jun 16 - 06:30 PM

Big Brother

Fair enough, I bought into it and am an admitted sap which should underline how poorly the emotional aspects of MoS were that they couldn't even hit an easy target like me. I gave the movie a 6/10, but think I'll get a lot more repeat viewings out of Superman Unbound the new DC Animated Superman.

Jun 16 - 06:56 PM

Janson Jinnistan

To be fair, there was plenty of ersatz emotion in MOS too. That damn piano tinkling whenever we needed to be cued for a tender moment.

Jun 17 - 06:52 PM

D.j. Nichols

D.j. Nichols

Doesn't matter, I'll still be seeing Man of Steel. I expect it to be pretty much critic-proof. It will make a ton of money. Maybe not Batman money, but still a lot. Fortunately this isn't a Green Lantern situation. It's too late for DC to back out of expanding this new universe. Hopefully it only gets better from here.

Jun 13 - 06:05 PM

Jun 13 - 06:09 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

57% means a majority of critics considered it good. Sometimes RT lumps positive reviews with Rotten ones too, so it might be even slightly higher. Maybe it will increase some more after more reviews. To use another movie as an example, I thought Cosmopolis was going to be Rotten based on the reviews from Sundance, but a few weeks later it became Fresh.

Actually, look at it like this. Transformers: Dark of The Moon is 37% on RT. Rotten, right? What if I tell you that more than a third of critics considered it to be a good movie? If a third of a people on a survey thinks we should ship all Arabs in America in concentration camps we would all be very worried.

Jun 13 - 06:13 PM

Dominique Deguire

Dominique Deguire

to me, 57% means that Man of Steel is a ''love it or hate it'' kind of situation. And it wont change the fact that I liked this movie so much, you have no idea ;)

Jun 14 - 03:25 PM

Jun 13 - 06:14 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

No, we don't. I don't think it was "killed" at all.

Jun 13 - 06:15 PM

Jun 13 - 06:16 PM

Jun 14 - 05:42 AM

Joseph Handibode

Joseph Handibode

Critics are purposely putting Man of Steel down on purpose. Reviewers liked Superman Returns that tell you something. And roger ebert liked phantom menace.

Jun 13 - 06:32 PM

Prince Niko

Prince Niko

Or maybe critics just don't like the film. Zach Synder is not a great filmmaker.

Jun 13 - 06:34 PM

J.D Dean

J.D Dean

Come on really? No one is putting it down on purpose. They saw an average film and the movie got average reviews simple as that.

Jun 13 - 06:36 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Did you purposely say purposely on purpose? ;)

Jun 13 - 08:07 PM

Janson Jinnistan

"You used up all the glue on PURPOSE!"

Jun 14 - 05:47 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Roger Ebert didn't get the chance to review Man of Steel, so I don't see the point in bringing him into this, but in regards to Phantom Menace, anyone familiar with Roger Ebert's style of reviewing shouldn't be surprised he gave that film a good review, as he tended to give high marks for visual creativity. He gave enthusiastic reviews to films like Sky Captain, Tron, Robots, Snow White and the Hunstman, Titan A.E, etc despite admitting that their stories weren't anything special simply because of the amount of imagination he felt was in them.

Jun 14 - 07:36 AM

Jun 13 - 08:50 PM

Jun 13 - 09:40 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Jun 14 - 08:12 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Who broke your heart, Val?

Jun 15 - 06:28 AM

Jun 16 - 03:27 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Jun 14 - 07:24 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

To blame for what? There was nothing wrong with the film.

Jun 14 - 08:13 PM

Jun 16 - 03:38 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Snyder makes childish movies. This one wasn't much different.

Jun 16 - 06:27 PM

Jun 16 - 06:52 PM

Jesus Contreras

Jesus Contreras

How about a more balanced film? eh?

Jun 13 - 06:36 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

Critics Consensus