More Threads

136 Hey, John Tyler 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it. 0 Zein, you are not the king. No one ever agreed to it.

Thoughts on not including Original theme song

Not including the original theme song is that a good or a bad choice?
Justin D.
05-21-2013 05:43 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Jackson Eckert

Jackson Eckert

As a musician, I'll say a few things about Hans Zimmer's score, or at least what I've heard so far from the trailers and TV spots etc. Hans Zimmer has made a beautiful main theme, one that works wonderfully with this new spin on Superman. It's atmospheric, percussive, and powerful. Tell me that doesn't exactly describe what we've seen of this movie so far. If I'm reading it right, he's hit the tone perfectly. Also, uber-geek moment: does the heavy percussion in this score remind anyone else of the Battlestar Galactica score?

Also, a note about the piece behind the most recent trailer: my favorite part of Zimmer's score that I've heard yet. It vaguely reminds me of the Imperial Death March from the original Star Wars movies (ironically another John Williams score), with its soaring brass and slight half-time feel. It's very powerful.

My only complaint up to this point: some things I've heard sound quite similar. The two pieces I just mentioned have roughly the same time signature and meter, and they share some of the same rhythmic and percussive elements. I won't say that's a bad thing, but I'll say that I hope the overall score is much more varied. I'm not interested in listening to a 2.5-hour variations-on-a-theme. That was my problem with an otherwise brilliant TDK score: the same tracks played over and over, and when they changed, there was little difference. Mr. Zimmer writes beautiful, emotional music, and I'd really like to see him diversify a bit; in my opinion, this is one of the very few things holding him back from absolutely sweeping the awards shows. Not saying I wish he'd go back to scoring things like The Lion King, but I wish he'd be a less lazy composer.

May 30 - 08:39 AM

Yolando P.

Yolando P

TDK series didn't use the theme from Burton's films, and that didn't effect it. I don't see a problem with this movie either.

May 25 - 02:12 AM

Nolan Braun

Nolan Braun

It's a brilliant move, the John Williams theme is classic, but its time for a change, and Hans Zimmer is the man to do it

May 25 - 01:00 AM

Cody Postle

Cody Postle

Good choice. This is chance to create something new for the character, and so far Hans Zimmer hasn't let me down.

May 24 - 09:18 PM

Jacob S.

Jacob Stevenson

This is a brand new series completely separate from the old one. The only way they would have used the original was if they were making a sequel to Superman Returns.

May 24 - 11:14 AM

Dane M.

Dane Mathis

The original theme song is a timeless piece of classic music, but I believe that it is time for a change.

May 23 - 02:10 PM

Stephen Robinson

Stephen Robinson

Good, needs a fresh start.

May 21 - 08:49 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile