Dougherty Talks Villain(s) in "Superman Returns" Sequel

JoBlo.com reports that screenwriter Michael Dougherty, in an interview with Sci Fi Wire, dropped a tantalizing hint as to who filmgoers can expect to see pitted against the Man of Steel in the sequel to "Superman Returns."

Or maybe he didn't. Actually, all Dougherty did was smirk and say "Maybe" when asked about the possibility of multiple villains making appearances in the next "Superman" film -- but in the land of fervent film speculation, that translates to "You better believe it."

Will we see the Wrath of Luthor?

Dougherty also continued the parallels drawn by director Bryan Singer between the next "Superman" and the second installments in the "X-Men" and "Star Trek" series, saying:

"I think it's going to be a more action-oriented film...I mean, I know that Bryan has said he's going to 'Wrath of Khan' it, and by that he means, 'Let's take what we've already established -- we've gotten that out of the way -- and let's just make it shorter, tighter and more action-packed."

So start your wild guessing: Who's going to try and wipe that spitcurl off Brandon Routh's forehead when next we see Krypton's favorite son on the big screen?

Comments

arpeggio191

Carl Myers

come on brainiac!

Jan 19 - 02:12 PM

Doomherald

Mohammed Khan

Brainiac is the logical choice and was done pretty damn well in the animated series so it's not like he's a tough villain to sell. Or just pit him against a Capt. Marvel gone nuts, that always works.

Jan 19 - 02:54 PM

donkeytron

Jesse Krawczyk

[b]Based on "Returns",[/b]
The only thing that will save this sequal is Brainiac, General Zod, Non, and Ursa, Darkseid, Doomsday, Mr. Myxlplyk, and Black Vulcan beating the $hit out of "Bland"on Routh and Kate "WAAAAY too young for this role" Bosworth until they're a brown stain on the cement. That I would rent. Maybe. On 2 for 1 Tuesday. If I was drunk.

Jan 19 - 03:00 PM

arpeggio191

Carl Myers

i completely disagree... but that was damn funny...

Jan 19 - 03:29 PM

arpeggio191

Carl Myers

i completely disagree... but that was damn funny...

Jan 19 - 03:29 PM

Banana Kid

Johnny Estes

Give me Darkseid! That's the one villain that might force Superman to actually DO SOMETHING. Superman doing things was an element very absent from Returns.

Jan 19 - 03:43 PM

lrm8

john smith

i read this three days ago on another website, and it hasnt been the first time either. come on RT.

more villians? what, no more gigantic islands and puny humans with guns? come on!

Jan 19 - 06:10 PM

LowBalls

Django Reinhardt

I'd say Doomsday...but I don't know if I'd want to see his no-pants-wearing-psychotic-methed-out-gray-monster-from-outer-space ass and penis for a prolonged amount of time.

Jan 19 - 06:11 PM

UselessRob

Rob McNugget

[b]i liked it[/b]
I actually liked the first one, so i'll be happy if they improve on it.

Go back n watch the old Superman movies. They're much worse than Superman Returns was really.

Jan 19 - 06:34 PM

mojodaddy

joe fish

Let's have Superman actually do something exciting in the sequel shall we? And not some gay, powerless villain? (I know Lex is a classic villain, but he's been the only friggin villain in every movie)

Jan 19 - 07:28 PM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

i want Darkseid to invade Earth and attack Metropolis in a huge street battle that makes the Super Burly Brawl from The Matrix Revolutions look like two gay guys in a slap fight in comparison. give Supes someone who doesn't need Kryptonite to challenge him.

Jan 19 - 07:58 PM

Generator Leon

Damon Penn

What, no love for Metallo? Using someone like Darkseid or Doomsday is too much, too soon. The sequel needs a mid-range villain. General Zod and his cronies have already been done. Metallo would basically keep Lex Luthor in the picture, while providing a badass, difficult opponent for Superman to fight throughout the movie. (But please, no Steel or people will (maybe) just think of Shaq.) Meanwhile, the seeds can be planted for a plot involving one of the heavy-hitters like Darkseid in the third or fourth movie. Brainiac would certainly be the next best thing, but if he looks anything like in the cartoon, he might not pass well with the audience.

(Off topic: In a way, it's too bad Nolan's gone with the "realistic" route for Batman, because nothing would make me happier than to see a well-done Clayface on the big screen.)

Jan 19 - 08:01 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Sounds a little too much like Superman 4 to me, I don't think it's too soon for Darkseid or Doomsday. It's not like Superman Returns was our introduction to the character (most obvious statement in the world I know). You'd be hard pressed to find a lot of people who aren't at least familiar with the basics of Superman. I would prefer to see Luthor in more of a minor role ala Superman 2 where he wasn't the focus. He's had his shots it's time to let other members of the Rogue's gallery in.

Jan 20 - 07:28 AM

Dr Jones

Anthony Powell

[b]Lots of possibilities...[/b]
Probably Brainiac is the obvious choice, (throw in the city of Kandor & have it get destroyed for a bit of added foreboding mayhem).
Darkseid would want an entire film to himself, but with all the established Apokalypse characters you already have plenty of supporting bad guys to keep the merchandising folks happy.
Would love to see Bizzaro some time.

Jan 19 - 10:10 PM

buddablz

Jammie Hannah

I think this sequel could be good, my opinion on the film's direction is...

-Superman left to find krypton and then returned. Have Brainiac be the main threat, maybe he could have detected him there and followed him to earth. And arrive on earth for the sequel.

-Keep Lex Luthor as one of the villians, I want him to have business interests (LexCorp). Maybe have him try and work with Brainiac.

-Bring in Lana Lang for Clark Kent, he has nothing to do. Lois isn't into Clark that much. The love triangle is between Lois, her fiancee, and Superman. Not Clark.

Better pacing and more action should make a good sequel. Maybe fighting on that island in space or somethin.

ps. I had to wikipedia some of this stuff.

Jan 20 - 01:10 AM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

those ideas are pretty good, though i don't know which of Brainiac's origins they'd use. would he be Krypton's AI system like the more recent interpretations of the character, or would he be a non-Kryptonian? making him Kryptonian gives him an emotional tie to Supes, but they've already done the Kryptonian villain angle with Zod and his crew in Superman II.

i definitely want them to incorporate Lana Lang (played by Isla Fisher, since she kinda looks like a young Annette O'Toole, and that could be a slight nod to Superman III) into the movie since the whole thing with Lois, Richard White, and the kid is keeping Lois and Clark/Superman away, so give Clark another romantic option. and better yet, have Lana know that Clark is Superman, so Clark/Supes would have to choose between a woman he doesn't have to hide his identity from in Lana and his one true love and the mother of his child in Lois.

Jan 20 - 01:50 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jan 20 - 07:28 AM

Ultimale069

David Baril

It always freaking amazes me how film studios give these big assignements to directors like Singer, or the ones who direct Fantastic Four, and while i personally think Raimi created a cheesy travesty, I wonder why not give this films to people who have already proven themselves in the superhero genre like the producers behind the animated series. They were amazingly successful, had great writing, and I can tell you I honestly felt more emotion in a twenty minute episode of Superman the Animated Series as opposed to the two hour movie, not that I didn't enjoy Superman Returns, I just know having seen the character done far better in another medium just what potential it could have had. Paul Dini knows the character inside and out, (he's a writer for the show lost currently)- give him the assignment, he would blow us away with an amazing screenplay.

Jan 20 - 09:04 AM

JackHorner1979

tom brownbridge

[b]Superman Returns Movie...[/b]
... because even he thought the film sucked. Superman Returns was an abysmal recreation that lacked originality, passion and understanding of the charcaters. I'm surprised how so many Superman devotees can actually claim it's good. It completely strips us of the mythos and is unfaithful in everyway.

Jan 20 - 10:06 AM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

Jan 20 - 01:50 PM

THE MANWHORE

Corey Mills

[b]Not A Villian but I wanna see Supergirl - Kara..[/b]
l would luv to see Supergirl/Kara Zor-El make an appearance & then get a new movie of her own!!! What do you guys think?? The whole thing of Supes finally knowing there are others out there like him & that he is not alone!!! Could be a great storyline!!!

Jan 20 - 07:23 PM

digitalsoul68

Bevan Calo

Interesting idea, Manwhore...but then who to play Supergirl?

Jan 22 - 11:56 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

[b]HOLLYDUMB AND SUPERGIRL A BAD COMBINATION[/b]
It sailed under the radar, so perhaps you've forgotten or, luckily, knew nothing about it and were spared a viewing, but they did a Supergirl movie. It was a complete abomination. And given the current track record of female superhero movies, I shudder the thought of them trying it again.

Jan 26 - 07:08 AM

vader_of_vjun

Timothy Maddocks

Kevin Smith and Tim Burton. Didn't they nearly kill Superman once?

Jan 20 - 09:08 PM

PhreazerBurn

Drew NoneAhYoBidness

[b]No Kryptonite![/b]
I don't care what villain they bring in. I just don't want to see anymore kryptonite-factored fights. I got so tired of that on Smallville.

And avoiding the "innocent hostages" cliche would be nice, too.

Jan 20 - 11:31 PM

Vitamin M

Matthew Haynes

Totally agree, no kryptonite!

Jan 22 - 08:58 AM