When Will Singer Begin Production on "The Man of Steel"?

The better question is: How many projects does Bryan Singer have on his plate before he can get to the "Superman Returns" sequel?

Earlier this month, producers Neil Meron and Craig Zadan indicated to RT that Mr. Singer would get to work on a movie called "The Mayor of Castro Street" once he was finished on the WWII thriller "Valkyrie." Now we learn from IESB.net that production on "The Man of Steel" could get rolling as early as next January.

Although the "Castro" producers claim that their flick is next for Singer, IESB's sources say that's not entirely accurate ... at all: "That?s total horse sh**, I would say the same thing if I was producing that film but don?t you realize that most of the Superman producers are working with Bryan on Valkyrie? Gil Adler and Chris Lee both are in Germany with Bryan and I can guarantee you that there is some work being done with Superman right now."

Not too long ago Singer promised that the "Super" sequel would begin production by the beginning of next summer, so it looks like early next year could be exactly right. And don't forget: He also promised more action this time around.

Source: IESB.net

Comments

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

If this is what is happening, then FUCK YEAH!

Unfortunatley, there will likely be a change in the start of the movies development. However, if it does start in January and release Summer 09 (which is when it probably will release), then that's perfect. It'll be in development even longer, giving it time to work on the things Superman Returns haters, well, hated.

Jul 9 - 12:06 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

I am looking forward to this sequel. This film will rule 2009.

Jul 9 - 12:41 PM

Scarborough Fair

Kyle Beaudette

I am not at all interested in this upcoming project.

Jul 9 - 01:18 PM

taran72

Dan Mills

I agree. I don't think more action will revive and support this series. I think serious casting changes will have to be made, starting with Lois Lane.

Jul 9 - 03:41 PM

gamejediben

Ben Behzadpour

I knew those producers on "Castro Street" were full of shit! BRING ON SUPERMAN: THE MAN OF STEEL!!!! Batman will rule 2008 and Supes will rule 2009! I can already see the man of steel's fist putting dents in some dastardly supervillian's face.

Jul 9 - 02:04 PM

Admiral_N8

Nate L

Brandon Routh looks much taller than Spacey in that pic....very physically imposing....too bad we didnt have more Superman/Lex scenes.

Jul 9 - 02:45 PM

eastern2western

peter liu

Please get another director. Singer has completely ruined Superman returns and I believe he is going to destroy the franchise if he continues.

Jul 9 - 02:59 PM

taran72

Dan Mills

Jul 9 - 03:41 PM

maniachippo

Robert Slavinsky

[b]What are you tazlking about?[/b]
Singer did an excellent Job with SR, in fact if people werent so stupid in todays age and actually watch a movie with intellect than they would appreciate this film. I am a die hard Superman fan and the only problem i saw with this film was the Superman is Dead theme which totally says Doomsday will never be able to be introduced, but besides that it was a great film and definitly a great re begining of the series. There is no reason they need to change any cast, if you didnt like kate bosworth it wasnt her acting it was t he writing they didnt make her as strong of a character but it didnt bother me she wasnt supposed to be in this film. I am sick of People commenting on these forums that dont know anything about movies, they just want explosions,Johnny Depp, or Robots no one ever talks about real movies here

Jul 9 - 04:26 PM

jmo2ski

Jimmy Moorer

[b]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO![/b]
Okay, i seen superman returns and let me just say it's something you don't want to see twice. If you ask me, i think singer should have just stuck with the X-men movies and Superman alone. i just think that the sequel is going to suck.

Jul 9 - 04:45 PM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Funny, I've seen it about 5 times already and enjoyed myself every time.

Jul 9 - 06:41 PM

Sora Freak

Allen K

[b]YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS![/b]
Alright, bring on Man Of Steel

I have faith that singer can make the necessary changes to bring back Superman fans

I for one enjoyed Superman Returns but some people just can't stand the little action, or that it was huge homage to Donner's Superman

Its going to be awesome, can't wait for Summer '09

Jul 9 - 05:23 PM

renodc

Ryan Meals

[b]Glad to Hear It[/b]
After seeing interviews with Singer that showed his obvious passion for Superman, I just couldn't imagine him putting it on the back burner for a movie about Harvey Milk.

Jul 9 - 05:56 PM

Pleasuretown

Nic Markham

I think Singer can do it. I mean if our only example is X-Men. It's still pretty good. X2 was a great improvement. Singers not an idiot, he's in touch with fans, unlike some directors. I have faith that he can make Man Of Steel one of the best Superman movies. Just like renodc said, he has a great passion for Superman, Singer of all people would know to do him some justice.

I did however enjoy Superman Returns. It had it's flaws, but ultimately it was a good film.

Jul 9 - 06:23 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

[b]huh[/b]
the guy hates the comic book tales and thinks rich donner's movie are the be alll end all with the character. he doesn't give a flying piece of crap about the real fans unless its donner. screw singer shoulda stayed with x-men because the acoplyspe happened in the third one. noo not the villan but the series integrity and quality

Jul 11 - 12:08 AM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Funny, I've seen it about 5 times already and enjoyed myself every time.

Jul 9 - 06:41 PM

DariusVIII

Sam Wotzka

Ok, first of all, people can't say what movies will rule 2008-09 because you don't know 90% of what's coming out next year and the year after. Second, did SR even make that much money, I know it cost a shitload....and finally, overall I thought it was decent, but almost too happy, not enough suspense or emotional investment, you knew Superman was going to win every time.

Jul 9 - 08:17 PM

eastern2western

peter liu

[b]superman should die in the next movie![/b]
Why? Because we have seen him survive practically everything the villains can throw at them. If he does not die or get his butt majorly kick in the next movie, then there is no point of making the next movie. The guy is so power ful to a point that there is no villain get actually go one on one with him. Sure, krptonite is this biggest weakness, but how many times can you play the exact same trick over and over again. In singers' returns, superman still some how manages to overcome of the krptonite and beat the crap out of kevin spacey. If kryptonite can not even kill him, then what should the villains use next.

Jul 9 - 09:41 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I think you've only been watching the movies. From the comicbooks there are about a dozen villains who can go one on one with Superman. Darkseid, Doomsday, Brainiac, Metallo, Zod just to name a few. Plus it's all how you write a character. They could have given Lex his power suit and he could have gone hand to hand with Supes, but that's not what Singer was going for in the first movie. Superman Returns wasn't perfect, but for me it wasn't as unforgivable as Spidey 3 or Pirates 2.

Jul 10 - 12:21 AM

eastern2western

peter liu

[b]what happened to those villains in singer's movie?[/b]
A lot times, what made those comic books great is that those villains manage to beat the crap out of superman for a while, then superman some how manages to return with his full power and wins the battle and the girl at the end. That is the simplest formula for great superman movie.
For some stupid reason, singer manages to create the weakest movie with the gayest superman and dumbest plot imaginable. His version of the Superman is a guy who is a creep that like to watch a little kid goes to sleep and stalks a girl who no longer likes him. Come on dude.
Then ther is kevin spacey's weak ass real estate plot to create some stupid land off the carribean coast. Who the fock cares? If he wants to pay the taxes on the land, then let the man have his one island that has no drinking water, functional plumbing, running electricity and housing. After the millions they pay for the script, the lame ass shit they come up with is real estate aquisition. How hard is it to some thing simple as nuclear weapons, alien invasion and some other supid doomsday scenerio. Heck, the old superman cartoon at the wb network had better writters than superman returns.
One thing that the movies have to change about superman is his suit because wearing red under wear on the outside of blue spandex looks very fucken nerdy and gay in real life. The easiest way for any villain to beat a guy like him is to pull his underwear below his knees and he would be tripping all over the place. I personally would like to see that in brad bird's next incredibles because he already made fun of super hero capes in his first incredibles.
The final thing the new superman should do is he should move on with louise because the man has been following that woman for the last 60 years and it is time for them to get it on or just break up. If i had superman's strength, good looks and power, I would be sleeping with one girl every minute. However, the live action superman stalks Louise like a guy who can not get some. Come on, u are superman and a hero to world. What is the whole point of getting stuck on one bitch.

Jul 10 - 01:22 AM

Devoted95

Faizan Laghari

[b]Because he's Superman!!![/b]
He's the ultimate Superhero. Well thankGod you aint Superman. No one wants to see a Superman who sleeps with different woman each night. He has a good purpose on earth, to help humanity, to help those in need and to save those in imminent danger, NOT TO SLEEP WITH WOMAN!!!. Oh and by the way, not everyone is a womaniser/playboy wannabe like you my friend who just wants to sleep with women with their super powers. And their is also a thing such as True love, ever heard of that???. Did you ever once wonder why he's stuck-up on lois for 60 years???. That is because he loves her, and when you love someone, you love them forever. He's saving your lazy arse from a burning plane going down, taking the bullets on him whilst protecting you and carrying a huge land by the size of a continent to save you and everyone, and all you can say is " behh behh mum he's spying on other people", for looking at the woman he loves. Give the guy a break. Ohhh I can go all day but thats cool, you get the point right???

Jul 10 - 02:50 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

1. I think Singer was interested in re-introducing us to the character and after a 20 year absence from the screen and re-establishing tone after the debacles that were Superman 3 and 4.

2. I think a lot of the weaknesses you point out: Weak Villain, silly real estate plot, etc were Singers attempt to pay homage to the old Donner movies.

3. As to the stalker thing, he's not just randomly listening in on everyday people. He's listening in on the woman he loves and eventually his son. He's not sniffing panties here. He's trying to understand what went wrong and try to figure a way to get back into her life. Are you telling me if you had the abilities and were in a similar situation you wouldn't do the same thing? Personally the part I find unrealistic is that he's not down in Dallas using his x-ray vision to spy on some Cowboy cheerleaders :) Personally, I hope there's a bit more action in the next movie, but not so much that he makes it just another brainless action film. If he gets a proper villain where the violence and action make sense and keeps the intellectual elements of returns you're gonna have one of the best films ever to fall under the superhero genre.

Jul 10 - 02:53 AM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Were you listening to what he was saying when he was in his kids room?

Jul 10 - 04:41 AM

maniachippo

Robert Slavinsky

[b]Are you stupid?[/b]
Honestly you dont know shit about story lines or anything. Superman wanting Lois is part of the main theme in superman, you cant just change that because a couple fans dont like it. Not one person understands that this was a re start for the franchise, they re introduced the characters they were showing that superman still loved lois but to throw a twist on it they made it a sequel to Superman II and Lois had the son of Superman. And about his suit, yeah shut the hell up you are ridiculous, basically you are saying that he has stupid suit so they should change it but if you notice something that isnt superman, the cape the underwear over his spandex is SUPERMAN thats him. you cant just change it. thats like changing you from boying a fag to striaght it would be a huge turnaround that wont work. so just shut the hell up and never post on these forums again .

Jul 11 - 06:21 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Emmmm (Shyly raises his hand) I understood that it was a restart...please don't hit me. So angry :)

Jul 11 - 12:29 PM

Shatter24

Jeremiah Rancourt

[b]Are you kidding?[/b]
At least Spidey 3 was entertaining while also having a personal story. Action does not need to be sacrificed for drama. Superman was, at times, boring, which no superhero film should be. Singer has a lot to live up to for the next movie. And I heartily agree, Lois Lane should be recast, she was completely wrong for the role.

Jul 10 - 05:41 AM

n_cruz69

Nestor Cruz

Superman made a ton of money, around 400 million worldwide. It just gets overshadowed by its ridiculous budget.

Jul 9 - 10:35 PM

toniokruger

adi nugroho

[b]2009 is the best date[/b]
For Superman Sequel. In 2010 there'll be the double hurdles of World Cup and Harry Potter 7.

Jul 9 - 11:12 PM

Mortayst Les Phil Ng

Sam Johnson

Sorry, but I agree that any future Superman film would need recasting and a new director. Routh and Bosworth were dull and unconvincing as the lead characters, and while Spacey made a passable Lex Luthor, he seemed to be trying too hard to imitate Gene Hackman's version rather than develop his own take on the role. And no, you can't have Superman spend most of the movie stalking and spying on Lois, yet still expect audiences to see him as a hero. Creepy guys who peep into your home and listen in on your private conversations are no less creepy just because they use superpowers to do it.

This movie was a mistake, and rather than prolonging that mistake, the franchise should be given a completely fresh start. Bryan Singer's idea of Superman is not a character I wish to see more of, nor am I interested in "superbaby", and I think you'll find a lot of the moviegoing public shares my disinterest.

Jul 10 - 12:12 AM

Jul 10 - 02:50 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jul 10 - 02:53 AM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Were you listening to what he was saying when he was in his kids room?

Jul 10 - 04:41 AM

Jul 10 - 02:50 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jul 10 - 02:53 AM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Were you listening to what he was saying when he was in his kids room?

Jul 10 - 04:41 AM

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank