Superman vs. The Elite - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Superman vs. The Elite Reviews

½ September 21, 2013
It's unfortunate that the art style doesn't fit appropriately with the sophistication of the story because in all honesty, this movie embodies what it is to be "Superman" better than any other animated film featuring the character.

The theme of idealism against the harshness of reality, of overcoming the means to an end with the unwavering hope in principle and morality. This movie's plot defines Clark's character and that's where it really shines.

Unfortunately, there's just something unappealing and generally comical in the presentation of "The Elite" (design & voice acting), this combined with the juvenile art style takes away from the dark themes and ideas presented.

Of course, the fight scenes and animation is still quite stellar. The explosive battles are all very fluid and full of dynamism.

I think in the wake of Batman's popularity and that of vigilantes or dark heroes alike, this movie plays a pivotal role in reminding us that it's just as important to dream and strive for ideals.
June 9, 2013
Superman vs. The Elite is a pretty good little dc animation. It isn't the best we've seen from them, but it definitely isn't the worst. I really liked the characters that made up the Elite, and the story was interesting and engaging. That's normally how I judge these type of movies. If they keep my attention the whole time, they're normally pretty good. The bad ones always lose me about half way through.

This is worth a look if you're into Superman or superhero movies in general. There's some nice social commentary going on and also some great, dark themes at play as well. This likely won't be your favorite Superman animation, but it should be enough to merit a watch.
December 18, 2012
so far this is the best animated superman story, but the story's look like Marvel.
June 14, 2012
The Man of Steel finds himself outshone by a new team of ruthless superheroes who hold his idealism in contempt.

Good animated movie! An extremely well done Superman story that touches on the major moral aspects of a superhero as powerful as Superman. The story is very nicely crafted with a good script that shows what can be done with Superman to keep him relevant in today's world. It finely explores the most human & moral issues of our favorite Man of Steel & put him into a fascinating challenge against a pretty interesting & kinda unusual super villain & his gang.
April 19, 2013
From Warner Brothers Animation comes a new and exciting comic book film in Superman vs. The Elite. When a group of super-powerful humans calling themselves The Elite deal out vigilante justice against the evil doers of the world (winning the support of the public in the process), Superman starts to question whether or not his methods have become antiquated. The voice cast does a fair job, and the animation style is pretty good (but nothing special). However, the themes of the story are handled well, and present an interesting dichotomy. Still, the plot is predictable and formulaic, and doesn't really bring any new perspective to Superman. While it has failings, Superman vs. The Elite delivers all the action and adventure that one has come to expect from these types of animated films.
September 14, 2012
Its got the kind of grown-up subject matter I enjoyed about Superman the animated series and its usually why I'm still so gung-ho about DC straight-to-DVD cartoons but this movie still managed to fall flat with me. Great dialogue, great subject matter and yet, I was bored almost to tears. Other than a couple of shocking moments I was unimpressed. The animation did nothing for me, the Elite were pretty one-note and I hated the way Lois looked nor did I like the voice actress portraying her. I guess I'll always love Dana Delaney. Funny enough I wasn't all that bugged by George Newbern portraying Supe. This movie had the potential to be great but it could've just as easily been an episode of Justice League Unlimited. And probably would've been more exciting.
June 19, 2012
I love this movie as it tries to show that we should all aspire to be better and together we can overcome the monsters of the world because that is the only way it can be done. Still somewhere in the back of my mind I can't help but think the Elite win because doesn't Superman prove that might makes right for who is more mighty then he?
½ October 9, 2014
I rated it right in the middle. No matter how good the story is, and it is a welcome storyline ala Judge Dredd, this is the worst Bruce Timm-produced animation I've ever seen. It's so bad, it takes away from the viewing experience. Please, Bruce...don't use that company again. I like my characters to have eyeballs. And why Superman's face had to be so badly shaped, I have no idea.
½ January 14, 2013
The animation is a bit more cartoonish compared to the other DCAU movies, but the movie overall is a good one.
June 15, 2012
A, dont let the libs fool you this not about people's tolerance towards capital punishment. Superman's fine with any punishment as long that there is law and order. The Elite is a anti-capitalist, anti-establishment, occupie wall street types that show their true colors at the end. This movie makes Superman shine
½ February 13, 2013
Anyone who has a negative thing to say about this movie has got to question if they should even rate a movie honestly...great flick...yea the art wasnt the greatest but who cares manchester black was decent and the final battle was off the chain...un-hateable im else said the rest....perhaps to please the visual dependants its time to CGI these movies i dunno....
July 2, 2012
I wish the people that animated the previous Superman movie would have done this movie. The story is great though.
March 28, 2013
It's too bad the animation is cheap because this really good Superman story that deals with some of the same themes presented in Kingdom Come dealing with generational ideals, morality vs. fear and the value of life and even the relevance of Superman in a cynical world.
½ March 23, 2013
Plot/Summary,A group of so-called superheroes have been supposedly fighting for good, but leaving their enemies dead. This spurs Superman to stamp out their antics, leading to a battle on the surface of one of Jupiter's moons.
My Review
The only reason i saw this animated feature based on a graphic novel(which i have not read) containing my second favorite superhero of all time is because this is the year for the man of steel to shine in his 75th anniversary and i wanted to watch as many cool animated and live action adaptions of Superman as possible.
This animated feature revolves around superman trying to make the new intergalactic superhero team known as The Elites to realize that killing is wrong. It digs through the choice of superman thinking maybe the world need these better superhero's other then him. Should he do there ways and kill his enemies or leave his beloved planet Earth?
This animated feature has a good amount of things I do like and some things I don't like. The things I do like about this animated were the voice over actors for Superman, Lois Lane ,Johnathan Kent and that England leader of The Elites but the rest im not a fan of. The fights scenes are short and but cool which make it worthwhile. Finally also that little funny beginning with the little children's superman cartoon.
The things I don't like are some of the other voice actors like for characters Perry White, Jimmy Olsen and the rest of The Elites. They could of made this a little bit longer but al little bit of the movie feels rushed and bland. I would of liked this movie to be an hour and thirty minutes instead of one and fifteen minutes.
The movie is a little fun animated feature I guess but I still has some problems along with some good stuff if you want I think you should check it out I even do think it's a little better then All star Superman.
November 29, 2012
This was a very entertaining Superman story. Really a battle of Superman's established 1950's super good guy values VS the anti-hero of the late 1980's/1990's hero. Animation was a bit iffy in parts, but the credits were simply brilliant and the story moved along at a good pace and the ending was believable.
½ September 21, 2012
Superman has one part in this movie where he really appears to be the superhero he could be. Outside of that, he spends the entire movie whining about how you can't treat criminals. When he's not doing that, he looks like his feelings are hurt cause the world favors The Elite over him.
September 5, 2012
Superman is a tough sell. He can do anything, fight anything, say anything and nobody calls him on it cause he's fucking Superman. So where's the conflict? Ah, that's where this animation - inspired from the creative minds behind "What's so Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" - gets it completely right. The so called Elite descend upon the world in a sweeping fashion and help Supes clear up some catastrophes around the world before believing their own press and policing the world. Of course, Big Blue isn't gonna stand for it but it's not exactly a popular idea. These Elite seem to get results where Superman fails. They kill criminals. So it naturally brings these two superpowers to a conflict. That's what is so fresh about Superman vs. the Elite. The Man of Steel's ideology is under attack, not him, and that's a battle he fears he may one day lose.
½ August 25, 2012
The art was sub-par, and the pacing was uneven. But more than that, the theme of the movie rings very hollow, especially in a post-bin Laden world. The DC universe's heroes have a standard no-killing rule that gets harder and harder to justify as the years pass on, and as the writers find more and interesting ways to create villains, they write themselves into a corner by having squeaky clean heroes. The whole "kill-a-villain-and-it's-a-slippery-slope-to-mass-murder" approach doesn't work anymore.
½ August 13, 2012
I loved it but i still thought it could of been a little better but it was good to see The Man Of Steel lose it for once
August 7, 2012
a reminder that the best (or just my favorite) Superman stories are the ones where we see why Superman matters - and why the 'gray area' of a group like the Elite is so enticing but dangerous (in comic book logic anyway). Not great but certainly better than anticipated.