63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Support Your Local Gunfighter Reviews

FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

August 10, 2008
Caught this on TMC the other night, and was really loved it. A very funny western spoof with a lot of heart.
May 19, 2007
This is the second of James Garner's "Support Your Local" western series. This one is the funnier of the two. This movie has a story and it is a comedy Western and not a spoof of the Western Movie. The character is again a version of the Maverick character he played in the Maverick TV series. I first saw this movie with my cousin at the old movie theater in downtown McAlester, Oklahoma. We laughed so hard our sides hurt. Then we laughed the entire walk back to his house. The best lines all had the word "ass" in them. Of course they were talking about donkeys. Suzanne Pleshette was great in this movie as the wild daughter. Then at the end Jack Elam claims to go on to be a big star in Italian Westerns talking to the audience. It's set in Purgatory, Colorado which is a real town in Colorado. Of course this is a fictional version and not the real Purgatory.
MovieGuruDude72
June 25, 2011
Lacks most of the charming wit and tongue-in-cheek humor of Support Your Local Sherrif. Actually looks more like a parody of a Jamess Garner Maverick movie, only Garner parodies himself, which is quite odd. Goldie Hawn playing a madam? Now THAT's good type casting.
jscottcorley
September 5, 2009
Sheriff was better. Plays Garner as a less-likable con man. Story rambles a little. Still--fun to watch.
athena6098
February 17, 2007
Great western and comedy movie. "Support Your Local Gunfighter" long with "Support Your Local Sheriff" are great western and comedy movies. James Garner is great in this movie as was Suzanne Pleshette, Jack Elam, Henry Morgan, and John Dehner. James Garner plays a chacter not to much different from than the he plays as in the TV show "Maverick". The movie is zany and funny. I enjoy this movie every times I watch the movie.
"Support Your Local Gunfighter" is movie that fun to whatch and enjoy with whole family.
June 4, 2007
Not nearly as good as Support Your Local Sherriff, the roles weren't even the same, but still decent.
gbainter
November 16, 2007
This is a great mistaken identity comedy. I've been loving this since I was a wee sprout! It never gets old.
July 25, 2014
JAMES GARNER IS DEAD HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
March 25, 2013
Good enough to have been a Disney film from Uncle Walt. Exceptional cast, but focus on Ellen Corby, Suzanne, and Jack. We all know and love Jack, right?
moviebuff18cab
September 8, 2004
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUNFIGHTER (1971)
Mario G.
January 24, 2010
James Garner plays it cool and amicable like few leading actors can, nevertheless, the material isn't as good as "Support Your Local Sheriff". Garner's charm saves the day, the movie tries hard to be be funny and often times ends up being annoying. Few chuckles along the way.
fancypants
November 22, 2009
This was a real pleasure to watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon. They don't make 'em like this anymore. Scenes with James Garner and Jack Elam were hilarious.
george m.
May 26, 2009
James Gardner is one of the all time great male cool actors. This movie has a great supporting cast. If you like the Rockford files (TV) and the 1994 Maverick Remake (Mel Gibson, Jodie Foster, James Garner). Great supporting cast, Suzanne Pleshette, Jack Elam (you will recognize, great supporting actors) and Harry Morgan to name a few. This is a sequel of sorts to Support Your Local Sheriff, also good. If you are a fan of Western Comedy you should see.
jazza923
August 2, 2007
Amusing follow up Support Your Local Sheriff, the cast is great especially the supporting players. It has cheesy production values though, the sets in particular are poor and there was very little regard at all to period detail.