Support Your Local Gunfighter Reviews

March 30, 2015
good mix of western and comedy
½ January 11, 2015
Very funny classic western.. I love James Garner. With dialogue like this, how can you lose?

Jug:
I'm supposed to pretend I'm Swifty Morgan? Goodbye!

They're willing to pay.

How much?

Latigo:
One thousand dollars. We'll split it fifty-fifty. That means four hundred for you.

Jug:
That seems fair. But I think that...

Latigo:
No, no you don't. That's part of the deal. I do the thinking, you stand around and look tough.
½ October 5, 2014
Sequel to "Support Your Local Sheriff" offers a pretty similar story of conman James Garner taming a wacky town in the wild west, mostly with his wits instead of his guns or fists. Burt Kennedy returned to direct this entertaining, though awfully silly, west. Jack Elam, Harry Morgan, Henry Jones, Dub Taylor and Kathleen Freeman all also return for this sequel and are joined by the very likable Suzanne Pleshette, Joan Blondell, Chuck Connors, Marie Windsor, and John Dehner. It's a complete piece of fluff, but it's a very amiable film
August 11, 2014
Support Your Local Gunfighter is charming. It's interesting how this isn't a sequel to Support Your Local Sheriff, even though it features many of the same actors. It's completely silly, especially the ending, and it's totally predictable, but there's something endearing about this story about a con man in the old west. Rest in peace, James Garner.
½ July 25, 2014
JAMES GARNER IS DEAD HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
May 19, 2007
This is the second of James Garner's "Support Your Local" western series. This one is the funnier of the two. This movie has a story and it is a comedy Western and not a spoof of the Western Movie. The character is again a version of the Maverick character he played in the Maverick TV series. I first saw this movie with my cousin at the old movie theater in downtown McAlester, Oklahoma. We laughed so hard our sides hurt. Then we laughed the entire walk back to his house. The best lines all had the word "ass" in them. Of course they were talking about donkeys. Suzanne Pleshette was great in this movie as the wild daughter. Then at the end Jack Elam claims to go on to be a big star in Italian Westerns talking to the audience. It's set in Purgatory, Colorado which is a real town in Colorado. Of course this is a fictional version and not the real Purgatory.
May 17, 2013
A good comedy western.
½ March 25, 2013
Good enough to have been a Disney film from Uncle Walt. Exceptional cast, but focus on Ellen Corby, Suzanne, and Jack. We all know and love Jack, right?
December 20, 2012
I love these movies! I do highly recommend this one and "Support Your Local Sheriff"
March 31, 2012
Caught this on TMC the other night, and was really loved it. A very funny western spoof with a lot of heart.
June 25, 2011
Lacks most of the charming wit and tongue-in-cheek humor of Support Your Local Sherrif. Actually looks more like a parody of a Jamess Garner Maverick movie, only Garner parodies himself, which is quite odd. Goldie Hawn playing a madam? Now THAT's good type casting.
½ April 29, 2011
For a western comedy (which is a sub genre i don't care for), this isn't a bad flick at all - greatly helped by the always likeable James ROCKFORD FILES Garner and the awesome Jack Elam! One of those "lazy rainy day" movies
that you catch on tv and sit and watch.
September 8, 2004
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUNFIGHTER (1971)
January 24, 2010
James Garner plays it cool and amicable like few leading actors can, nevertheless, the material isn't as good as "Support Your Local Sheriff". Garner's charm saves the day, the movie tries hard to be be funny and often times ends up being annoying. Few chuckles along the way.
November 22, 2009
This was a real pleasure to watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon. They don't make 'em like this anymore. Scenes with James Garner and Jack Elam were hilarious.
September 5, 2009
Sheriff was better. Plays Garner as a less-likable con man. Story rambles a little. Still--fun to watch.
½ August 3, 2009
VERY funny spoof of Westerns with the implacable James Garner. Sure, you know what's going to happen and sure, you know everyone in the cast, but it's all done so well by experts that you laugh all the way through.
½ May 26, 2009
James Gardner is one of the all time great male cool actors. This movie has a great supporting cast. If you like the Rockford files (TV) and the 1994 Maverick Remake (Mel Gibson, Jodie Foster, James Garner). Great supporting cast, Suzanne Pleshette, Jack Elam (you will recognize, great supporting actors) and Harry Morgan to name a few. This is a sequel of sorts to Support Your Local Sheriff, also good. If you are a fan of Western Comedy you should see.
½ February 7, 2009
This is a comedy western movie but it is a different one because there is not much fight or gunfight in it. This is very sympathetic movie also funny in some scenes.

Our hero is a new yorker guy that steals women money with charming them. He comes to west city but he doesn't like the west and the guns, horses and etc. People in this city thinks he is a hired famous gunman, he uses this identity. This is the general subject of the movie.

Acting is good for a comedy movie, there is also romance and this is a plus for this one. I liked this movie and enjoyed when watching but if you look for a classic movie don't look at this one. I watched this one at a Sunday morning.
½ December 31, 2008
very well done. i liked it alot. another family movie for sure!