The Sure Thing Reviews

January 2, 2011
The only sure thing in 80s teen films was John Hughes, as this demonstrates. There is no unattached college guy in any era that would pass up Nicolette on the hope or possibility the girl in class dumps her boyfriend for you at some point in the future. Cusack and Zuniga are equally annoying.
December 8, 2014
Not great, but enjoyable enough. What keeps it from being great is that Cusack is over-directed, and the script is kinda overwritten. But, the heart of the film shines through. It's genuinely touching enough to be memorable, and the laughs comes from enough unexpected places that you feel like you've seen something interesting.
½ October 13, 2014
A real likeable film.....not earth shaking but light comedic love story coming of age films in the 80s were Cusack specialty.
½ August 5, 2014
The first half of this film has some serious pacing issues. Thankfully I stuck it out because it did get better. Although it is loaded with cliches, the chemistry between the leads save it from disaster. It's an oldie, but does have some entertainment value.
½ July 21, 2014
Regardless of it's obvious outcome, The way the events are organized and the characters make the trip t,o a sure happy ending, super enjoyable :)
April 29, 2014
This is one of my favorite movies from the 80's!
July 20, 2008
Wonderful, witty Xmas Rom Com. Saw it as a kid and have never forgotten it.
November 20, 2013
Traditional (an often told story in the films starting from the 30s) but enjoyable romantic comedy drama, with an excellent turn form Cusack.
½ November 5, 2013
Has a kind of goofy charm but there isn't much insight into romantic relationships or what makes two people click, despite that being the overt theme. Matthew Broderick got to play those super smart but cool nerds like Ferris Bueller and David Lightman in the 1980s but John Cusack seemed to play characters who followed his heart, not his head. That kind of romanticism earns the endorsement of this film in which his character falls for a classmate he'll do anything to win.
½ October 14, 2013
John Cusack and Daphne Zuniga play university students who take a whole movie to realize they are meant for each other. The movie-going public are aware of it from the moment we see them, but these two think they despise each other. A fun 90 minutes!
June 16, 2013
One of the better John Cusack roles. He is so funny in this. Yeah, it is one of those films were you know how it will end when the party guy that needs to settle down goes on a road trip with the prude who needs to loosen up. But like I said, Cusack is so good and has amazing chemistry with Zuniga.

Nicolette Sheridan, aka the Sure Thing, is pretty much used to show some skin. I believe she's in a bikini almost every scene. She was super cute back then...pre-plastic surgery.

Also a great soundtrack as well.

Tim Robbins has a smaller role, but maybe the best part in the film.
½ May 16, 2013
Oldie but goodie! Cusak and Zuniga are part of what made the 80's fun as they did in this well written film.
July 5, 2007
I barely remember this. Daphne Zuniga was an exciting actor who completely dropped off the radar.
½ March 17, 2013
a young john cusack at his best here,never seen this before and for a near 30 year old film holds up well still. daphne zuniga really was adorable back then.
March 7, 2013
The Sure Thing is the It Happened One Night of the 80s, with an awesome breakout role for John Cusack, modeling the characters he would play later on his career. For a teen comedy it sure has a heart!
March 2, 2013
I assume that many would find four stars to be too much to give to a romantic comedy but I think that The Sure Thing deserves that rating. This is really one of the best romantic comedies I haver seen. It is definitely one of Rob Reiner and John Cusack's best movies.
½ February 6, 2013
Very likeable, and very decent 80's coming-of-age teen love story...with no baked apple goods.
½ January 15, 2013
i fucking love john cusack
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to seeing!