Surf's Up Reviews

October 27, 2011
I like the ending
The one with passion win the competition
The main character doesn't need to win but he defeat the enemy and got the answer.
thmtsang
½ June 24, 2007
Cute mockumentary following a young penguin and his hero.
October 24, 2007
What you may disregard as another computer animated film about penguins is quite a pleasant surprise and blows Happy Feet out of the water, literally. What makes it so original and fun is that it doesn't even pretend to be about animals but takes the shape of documentary about the biggest surf tournament of the year and its players, with all that includes: interviews, old footage, background stories and so on. It also helps that the animation is beautiful and impressive, water never looked better. The characters are lovable and fun, there are plenty of jokes, both slapstick and more subtle humor, it's just an all around fun film for all ages and actually one of the animated highlights of recent years for its different approach.
blkbomb
June 10, 2011
Cody Maverick: I don't understand why everybody has to be so judgmental. I understand why mom's judgmental. I think it's 'cause she cares, partially. Think it's also partially 'cause, everyone else is lookin' at her like, "Hey, Cody's just a bum." "Cody's this," "Cody's that," "Cody's this." Cody's me, bro. Let me be me. When is that going to start?

"The ocean just got cooler."

Surf's Up is one of the more underrated animated films in my opinion. It also happens to be one of my most loved. I love the idea to present it in documentary format. That's just a great idea that adds a new layer to the genre. This is a clever, funny, touching, and beautiful little film with a great voice cast. I'd also label it as cool, which is not an attribution I give to many kid oriented movies. This one is however. It's got a good little soundtrack and really uses the awesomeness of surfing to its advantage.

Cody Maverick is a penguin living in Antarctica with his mother and brother. Both of them think he needs to get a life. All he wants to do though is surf. A documentary filmmaker decides to make a movie on Cody and his rise. When a talent scout comes and takes him away, we follow him to the biggest surf competition, which is named after Cody's fallen hero, Big Z. Cody is the underdog at the competition, but a stranger helps him hone his skills and become the person(penguin) he needs to be. The story has a nice family oriented message that goes along with it, just like every other kid movie. This one, however, is a lot more fun than the average kid movie.

Cody is a character we can cheer for. The dialogue is cool, especially when you're talking about an animated, made for kids movie. The visuals are awesome. The surfing scenes are amazing. It's just an all around cool, fun, and humorous little movie that will surely keep the children in your family entertained, while doing more than enough for the adults as well. This one will always be one of my favorites.
michael e.
January 25, 2011
Surfs up is a mockumentary styled animated film following a young penguin surfer named Cody Maverick (Shia Labeouf) who is found by a talent searching group led by a otter named Reggie Belafonte (James Woods.) He meets a chicken named joe (John Heder) and a rival surfer named the Tank (Diedrich Bader) and is going to face off against him in a surfing competition. While training he gets hurt and runs into another penguin named Geek (Jeff Bridges) who turns out to be a legendary surfer everyone had thought to be dead. He decides to train with Geek to go up against Tank and beat him.

This is a strange case of film to go with this style for an animated film but it strangely works. Mainly the comedy is the thing that works. The film has this strangely realistic tone to it much like a mockumentary such as "This is Spinal Tap"' and this film could've actually worked as a live action film because of how there is almost no instances where them being birds applies to the plot. If you changed the antarctic to somewhere in the U.S. or something the film could've actually been a live action film, but this isn't saying the film doesn't work. This is a very interesting premise for an animated film and I can really respect this interesting idea.

As I said before the comedy in this film is what really shines and is the main selling point of the film next to the surprisingly good and realistic surfing scenes. The timing in some of these jokes and the laid back tone just makes the jokes all the more funnier the further the film goes. Now I'm not all a huge fan of dry or improv humor in film such as in Napoleon Dynamite, but this is one of those rare instances where this is just flat out hilarious and it really does work well with the characters and these actors all being very good at improv and dry humor. The interactions that happen with the cameraman are also very funny, mainly when the small little pingu tribe tries to attack Chicken Joe and instead shoot the cameraman instead, and each time it just makes me almost die of laughter.

Another one of the main things that really makes this movie shine is the incredible surfing scenes in the film. Taking references from expert surfers, this films animators really knew what they were doing when examining these surfers and capturing this in the film. The wipeouts look good and it is all animated incredibly well. The main climax surfing competition is of course one of the biggest highlights of the film and it is the best scene and the most adrenaline pumping scene in the film as well. The way the scenes are shot work so well and the water coming at the camera during the scene also help make this seem much more realistic.

Overall the film has good animation, the humor is great, and the surfining scenes are surprisingly very good for an animated film. If you like mockumentaries or dry humor films you may really enjoy this film.
½ April 29, 2012
One of the most underrated animated films of the last 10 years or so. A smart parody of surfing documentaries and the cynical world of professional sports, "Surf's Up" is a hilarious, laid back trip that brings inventive twists to the familiar conventions for films of these kind.
Directors Cat
November 4, 2011
When Surf's Up was released I think people were tired of penguins. Due to the inconvinient releases of "Happy Feet" and "March of the Penguins". But Surf's Up was the most unique. It has a very witty mockumentary style that's never really been seen in an animated film before. The animation is brilliant and undeniably realistic. Furthermore, its also the only fox animated film that i've seen that actually has the heart a pixar film would have. All the characters in the film also bring the humour expected, particularly Jeff Bridges.
theunknownhobo
August 24, 2011
Cut from the same cloth as Happy Feet and Madagascar, Surf's Up is bright and intelligent. The personification of animals in movies is either a hit or a miss, but the mockumentary style this film possesses just adds to its charm and cements it as a touchingly real portrayal of surfing penguins. And a chicken. Named Joe. Who should probably lay off the pot.
DreamExtractor
May 23, 2011
I enjoyed this, it was a fun animated mockumentary. Had a few problems though like the disgusting moments and Chickeb Joe being funny and having no real point in the film . But overall it was funny and really good.
TomBowler
August 1, 2009
Fantastic animation, great set-pieces and a hilarious script. Full review later.
ajaymuthecooldevils
February 18, 2007
Well, animated movie served in a documentary style, that's unusual... Sony Pictures show another way to serve animated movie which is combined by documentary style and it was a great thing to see... The story was really good, I can't even take a glimpse to the other thing around me because this movie got my focus entirely... The cast, wow it's great because they have Shia LaBeouf, Jeff Bridges, Zooey Deschanel, and Jon Heder... Great movie!
September 4, 2010
Surfs Up is a decent animated film, but doesnt live up to the bar raised by Pixars film. The graphics are beautiful, and the characters are loveable (or in the case of the baby penguins, sooo adorable), but the weak plotline is what ultimately holds the movie back. I would recommend this movie for anyone who just wants a good relaxing movie, but not for the enthusiastic movie buff who hopes to watch an instant classic.
June 9, 2007
Some pretty funny lines but the movie itself couldn't hold enough of my attention. I really like the little penguin that couldn't swim, Arnold I think his name was. He was too stinkin' cute.
July 21, 2010
B+
½ July 17, 2010
15/07/2010 (DVD)

What I liked about the film was the style of approach in this animation. It's done like a documentary, like a reality show.

It's funny, the characters are cool and the voice acting is entertaining. However, I felt the story wasn't strong enough.

Still, it was an alright choice, a very okay film.
3niR
February 25, 2010
This was nice.
January 13, 2010
The voice actors are great, and the story is plotted out just fine to make this a very well put together film!
October 1, 2009
A fun cartoon. The animated water was particularly impressive but it?s the stoned chicken that steals the show. Not sure if the documentary aspect worked though!
October 25, 2007
"Squidito on el stickito?"

Another big studio animation film that I enjoyed very much. In fact, I enjoyed it even more than I thought.

"Surf's Up" failed at the box office. One reason could've been that "Happy Feet" was released half a year earlier. Two animated films about penguins? I guess people had enough of 'em.

But to give the film some credit, I enjoyed a lot the documentary element of the film. It also made the film more suitable for the more mature audience. During the film, I thought about the target audience, and I can't really think that the littlest of people would enjoy the film as much as those in their teens or older than that.

The animation is once again top notch, but that is something that the audience is used to nowadays. The water looks extemely nice and some scenes look like something of a postcard.

There's a lot of talent behind the voices. Jeff Bridges, James Woods, Jon Heder and the golden boy of Hollywood, Shia LaBeouf. Ones to "watch" are especially Bridges and Heder, they do an excellent job. Another fun character is the young penguin who wants to surf but can't really swim that good...

"You got a koa board?
- I don't have a board board..."

So, "Surf's Up" is recommended to all fans of good animations. The story is nice and the characters are good. The movie also has a message about competing so kids should really have a look. Remember to have fun!
June 5, 2007
A good kids flick with a great cast and really good animation. I liked the documentary style they used for this one.
It kept my kids attention and for me that is a big plus.