64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

August 7, 2013
Wednesday, August 7, 2013

(1994) Surviving The Game
ACTION

Started with the 1932 film "The Most Dangerous Game" starring Joel McCrea, and since then there have been more movies coming out using the exact same theme centering on hunters hunting people with the only difference in this case as well as several others is that they're always using different cast as well as new locales whether it's on the desert or the forest. Stars real life African American rap artist "Ice-T" as Jack Mason assuming he was going to be employed by working for Thomas Burns (Rutger Hauer) as a guide for him and his friends. Mason soon finds out that hunting hobos or people in general is how they get their kicks.

There are many far out scenarios as well as some questions that were not addressed upon watching this film such as how does a puny man such as Ice T take on a big guy like Gary Busey or how Ice T able to make it home if the last plane had already been taken away. Regardless of it's problems Ice-T's presence is still a fascinating character to watch.

2.5 out of 4 stars
June 27, 2013
How can you not revel in seeing smug plutocrats getting served on their own dinner table? This movie is a treasure trove of insults too foul to ever use, and characters as interesting as they are short lived. Rarely have I enjoyed seeing people being killed one by one due to their own incompetence as I have with this film. The premise, although cliche, is still provocative, and convincing enough to catch you up in the action. What else can I say; you won't find a better B-movie in all of Byzantium.
June 14, 2013
Don't Mess With the Homeless--An enjoyable slice of steaming 90's cheese!!
May 23, 2013
Started out good which is cool since Ice-T was still new to acting for the most part. This has decent action and violence, but kind of in a desperate way and the ending could have been a little more thought out.
July 7, 2007
Great cast in yet another remake of 'The Most Dangerous Game'. Something tells me that I underestimated this. It could actually be a classic. Ernest Dickerson did make another classic - 'Juice' (1992)
roscobear
November 8, 2008
This duffer was a VHS rental hit with a lot of the lads in my year at high school, possibly more due to Ice-T's "Badassss TV" show that was on around the time than anything else. So hackneyed of plot (yet another remake of "The Most Dangerous Game" released shortly after John Woo's similarly crass "Hard Target") it doesn't sees to be able to hold permantly-bored-looking co-star Rutger Hauer's attention. At least we have the ever wild-eyed Gary Busey and John C. McGinley (Dr. Cox from Scrubs) among the other baddies to keep us amused.
Marcus W

January 9, 2008
Good film, but still a poor man's Hard Target.
January 28, 2013
A bunch of Hollywood guys who could no longer get acting jobs finally got acting jobs again with this film. Problem is, I think they all played the role of unemployed actors better....DOH!
December 7, 2012
Could be worthwhile, will see.
Luke W.
October 31, 2012
While it's no cinematic masterpiece, this is an entertaining action film that did just that...entertain.
September 26, 2012
Rutger Hauer and Gary Busey hunt Ice-T
August 27, 2012
Good, not great. It had it's moments.
July 30, 2012
This felt like the poor man's version of "Hard Target."
The Reviewer
July 28, 2012
great classic movie, I only wish one day there would be a sequel!
Warchief
July 27, 2012
First and foremost, before i go too deep into analyzing this thing, who the hell saw a screening of Ice-T acting and decided; "Yep, that guy can act?". Even more dumbfounding is that before his absolutely awful performance here Ice-T had acted in no less than 10 movies, and they STILL let him in front of a camera. Man must have had some serious power and influence from his rapping career.

So there you have it, if you can't find some sort of sick enjoyment out of watching a man make an amateur of himself onscreen for an hour and a half then theres not much else here to enjoy. Well, apart from some notably excellent actors cheese it up with one another onscreen for the same amount of time.

If you took the original Predator film and took out the alien creature, the film's stylish direction, the palpable male bravado and just about everything else thats good about the Predator movie you'd probably have something close to resembling Surviving The Game. From the opening shots it's relatively easy to know what the movie's subject matter pertains to; even if you hadn't known anything about the film beforehand.

An incredibly bad performance from a poor actor and the wonderfully cheesy performances from good actors are the only things keeping this one from infamy and the only thing keeping you awake.
July 24, 2012
June 11, 2012
A harmless movie, it's not the worst ever made, but then it's not a great one either. Rich people hire a guy who doesn't know that they will be hunting him.
Sandman1968
June 1, 2012
The 1924 story "The Most Dangerous Game" has been the inspiration for a lot of modern and very violent films, and "Surviving the Game" is one of the better ones. It's a gritty, exciting and beautifully shot film by director Ernest Dickerson, who shows a real flair here. He really should have had a better career.

The action sequences are well directed, and it's an easy film to get behind. Ice T isn't much of an actor, but he does make for a very sympathetic lead character here. He's a man of few words, which is probably for the better, but you root for him nevertheless. The film is cast with a vast array of great bad guys, and only Oscar winner F. Murray Abraham feels out of place. Rutger Hauer plays a villain like nobody else can. He's made a career out of it, but here he is curiously subdued.

In fact, the best performance in the film comes from a whacked out Gary Busey. His dinner scene story about how he got his scar is an instant classic, and this is one of the most memorable roles of his entire career. Why the screenwriters thought it was in the film's best interest to kill him off first is beyond me. In fact, the entire dinner sequence is very entertaining. Just listen to every single demented line of dialogue. How can you not love it?

The ending, however, feels tacked on and not very well thought out. Having Ice T follow Hauer to the big city to settle their differences could have worked, but it feels like the writers got lazy. It's very anticlimactic, and ends the film with more of a whimper than a bang. For the most part, however, "Surviving the Game" is a lot of fun. It tells an oft told story with newfound style and energy, and a great cast that somewhat disappoints. It's a mixed bag but I can easily recommend it.
February 12, 2012
A guilty pleasure film which I am still captivated by. While Ice-T's Mason could have been played by anyone (I think someone like Matt Dillon could have done just as good, if not a better job), I have to give Ice-T credit. Rutger Hauer was excellent as the crazy psycho Burns as was the underrated Charles S. Dutton as Cole. I am still in shock that people would take homeless guys hunting and hunt them like they did in this film. In ways, this was Hostel before Hostel but in the wilderness. While the actors were prominent, the script was weak and it needed serious work. However, it was a solid action film worth seeing again.
April 9, 2012
I know someone I would like to take to an island and hunt like the pig she is.....