Suzy Reviews

jjnxn
½ July 12, 2014
Jean & Cary make an odd team in this, one of Harlow's last films. It's an okay drama but Jean was always best in comedies.
MissMorganLeee
May 7, 2010
Another great movie from Jean Harlow. Sucha shame that she died so young. She was soo talented. I also really enjoyed Franchot Tone in this movie. He was very enjoyable. Perhaps a bit predictable but I like it.
January 15, 2013
One of Jean Harlow's last pictures, this romantic comedy-melodrama places her between Franchot Tone and Cary Grant.
½ January 11, 2015
Only after I watched this film did I read that Dorothy Parker was one of the writers on this film and that Herman J. Mankiewicz did uncredited writing work on it. I may have paid closer attention to the dialogue if I had, but honestly, this WWI romantic spy film was pretty dull. Carey Grant is a pilot who fall in in love with Jean Harlow. The most exciting moments are the ariel battles, which were unused footage from Howard Hughes' "Hell's Angels." the other highlight is a canteen scene where Carey grant sings, which I'm not sure I ever saw before.
July 11, 2014
Excellent acting and characters. The storyline was excellently written. The film didn't drag at all.
March 9, 2011
Not one of Jean Harlow's best films, but one of her few dramatic roles. Film is a bit of a mess story-wise and 1930s styles for a film set in 1914 are a bit ridiculous. Still, worth checking out for Harlow fans to see early work from Cary Grant (playing French with no accent) and Franchot Tone (doing a VERY poor Irish accent that comes & goes).
½ December 4, 2010
if the script, acting, and direction of this movie isn't pedestrian and down-right wooden enough for you, there's the reprehensible plot device of insisting on maintaining a war hero's reputation. think of all the kids who look up to him, him whose "courage purifies war". harlow is probably the best thing going for this, and i don't even like harlow.
November 7, 2008
6.5/10. The story is rather ordinary, but Jean Harlow will lift up any film she is in. She's quite good in this one. A minor classic but well worth watching. Good cast.