Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) - Rotten Tomatoes

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)

TOMATOMETER

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: Full of pith and Grand Guignol grossness, this macabre musical is perfectly helmed and highly entertaining. Tim Burton masterfully stages the musical in a way that will make you think he has done this many times before.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street Trailers & Photos

Movie Info

Unjustly sent to prison, a man vows revenge, not only for that cruel punishment, but for the devastating consequences of what happened to his wife and daughter. When he returns to reopen his barber shop, he becomes Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street, who "shaved the faces of gentlemen who never thereafter were heard of again." Sweeney's amorous accomplice, Mrs. Lovett, creates diabolical meat pies.more
Rating: R (for graphic bloody violence)
Genre: Drama, Musical & Performing Arts, Mystery & Suspense

as Policeman #1
Show More Cast

News & Interviews for Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Critic Reviews for Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

All Critics (223) | Top Critics (48)

This is grand-scale studio-work at its most beguiling.

Full Review… | November 17, 2011
Time Out
Top Critic

A considerable achievement even if, on balance, it's more of a Tim Burton phantasmagoria than a Sondheim fantasia.

Christian Science Monitor
Top Critic

As unsettling as it is riveting. Even Sondheim aficionados will see the story with fresh eyes, unless those eyes are covered.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Top Critic

The movie may substitute Grand Guignol for laughs at times, but it's spectacularly stylized -- each throat-slashing exceptional -- persuasively sung, and imaginatively adapted for the screen.

NPR.org
Top Critic

Revenge stories don't get a pass just because they are about revenge. If there is a genuine meaning to the legend of Benjamin Barker and what he must go through, poor Tim Burton is no closer to understanding it than his predecessors were.

Full Review… | April 28, 2016
Cinemaphile.org

This dark operatic movie looks like Burton meant every bit of it, that he shared this story's longing for death and night and blood.

Full Review… | January 2, 2015
MetroActive

Audience Reviews for Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

A musical slasher flick that is just beyond fun. This is Tim Burton and if you dont care for him dont watch but if you do this is a good one.

jmanard52
John Manard

ennui - i'm done with the burton / depp show. just another vehicle for same - albeit a witty tuneful one.

brooklynspo
Bob Stinson

I normally don't like musicals but "Sweeney Todd" is an exception. The story is powerful and is accompanied with some decent songs. It gets brutal at times and the meat pies are downright disgusting. But still, it's very entertaining.

Market Man
Eric Shankle

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street Quotes

Sweeney Todd: There's a hole in the world, like a great black pit. And the vermin of the world inhabit it. And it's morals aren't worth what a pig could spit. And it goes by the name of London. On top of the hole sits the privileged few, making mock of the vermin in the lower zoo. Turning beauty into filth and greed. I too, have sailed the world and seen it's wonders. For the cruelty of men is as wondrous as Peru. But there's no place like London.
– Submitted by Woods F (24 months ago)
Sweeney Todd: Look at me, Mrs Lovett! Look at you! No, we all deserve to die... Even you, Mrs Lovett, even I! Because the lives of the wicked should be made brief. For the rest of us death will be a relief. We all deserve to die...
– Submitted by Justine Mari M (2 years ago)
Sweeney Todd: At last my arm is complete again!
– Submitted by Sheriea J (2 years ago)
Anthony Hope: Mr. Todd you have to help me! Mr. Todd, please!
Sweeney Todd: Out.
Anthony Hope: Mr. Todd!
Sweeney Todd: OUT!!
Sweeney Todd: No I had him! His throat was bare beneath my hand. No I had him! His throat was there and now he'll never come again
Mrs. Nellie Lovett: Easy now, hush love hush I keep telling you - Whats your rush?
Sweeney Todd: When? Why do I wait? You told me to wait - Now he'll never come again. There's a hole in the world like a great black pit And it's filled with people who are filled with shit! And the vermin of the world inhabit it. But not for long... They all deserve to die. Tell you why, Mrs. Lovett, tell you why. Because in all of the whole human race Mrs. Lovett, there are two kinds of men and only two There's the one staying put in his proper place And the one with his foot in the other one's face Look at me, Mrs Lovett, look at you.
– Submitted by Sophie L (3 years ago)

Discussion Forum

Discuss Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street on our Movie forum!