Swept from the Sea Reviews

bbcfloridabound
February 3, 2009
A Wonderful friend told me to see this movie (I will let her pick out more for me).and am I glad I ever did. This is not just a romance movie. This is beyond that, with stellar acting by all, you wish the movie could go on. It shows how mean people can be to a perfectly happy couple. I was spellbound, its a must sea movie for all, if you enjoy films then get this one and you will give it no less then 4 stars. I have to give it 5 as its one of the best I have seen. Thank You Raimoyna
November 7, 2009
Again, for me, there were emotional elements missing especially in Amy's character even though that's how she was supposed to be. A sad story that makes you angry that people are so intolerant and hateful. Where is the compassion for another human being who did nothing wrong but is simply hated for being an outsider and a foreigner. I was not drawn to the performances but it was a good story.
June 19, 2007
Stays pretty true to Conrad's story. Very sad, but very accurate for a period peice & Vincent Perez was very convincing as a non English speaking man in an environment which is at the very least unsettling to him.
½ October 24, 2006
I loved this movie. And I didn't realize until recently that this is Rachel Weisz, who is in the Mummy, which is another one of my favorites.
April 28, 2013
Breathtakingly beautiful film both visually and in the unfolding of the love story between two outcasts in a very insularly prejudiced Cornish rural village. An excellent cast adds to the story's dramatic impact. An emotionally moving experience.
October 22, 2012
This is my 2nd favorite film of all time.
May 19, 2012
Beautiful is so many ways, a stunning score with great visuals - yet somehow the heart of the movie seems lost. Shame, because this could've been such a mesmerising, emmersive and tragic love story.
½ April 27, 2010
I really don't understand all the bad reviews this movie has received! I watched this for the first time online for free, and it was so deeply moving and profoundly real that I went out and bought my own copy the very next day. I loved the story, loved the honest and tragic nature of it, loved that the ending was bittersweet, and yet at the same time not perfect.

The acting was somewhat clumsy at times, but I had the feeling that it was purposely so. People in real life are clumsy and unsure of themselves and make mistakes and often don't react the way they do in movies. I think the slightly unpolished feel of some of the scenes made it *more* affecting and *more* compelling than it would have been otherwise. My only criticism is that it did move a bit slowly at times, but this I think is just the nature of the story being told. It's certainly not a movie for everyone, but for me it was a truly remarkable and well-told tale.
½ February 4, 2010
outstanding realistic performances. Tearful.

Of the times, it was considerable to war with such wicked gossip that had the power to wreck thing in the lives of others.

If believed, the results, such as today, were disasterous.

Truly a beautiful, telling, and full bodied story.

An absolute must-see!!!
August 22, 2009
Old-school Romance. Vale a pena.
March 8, 2006
This movie is absolutely beautiful! The charactors are so lovely and strange, and it's so well done.
Gret movie!!!
½ April 26, 2004
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][COLOR=RoyalBlue] :(
Sad to say it, "Swept from the Sea" is the less preposessing of the two Joseph Conrad works (feel free to correct this count) brought to the big screen. I doubt the author of "Heart of Darkness" would forget to have the foreigner teach a lover the Russian language, but the Wiccan tendencies foreshadowed in the woman follow Conrad's seemingly persistent trivializing of major plot forests for detail trees. Only someone extremely knowledgeable of history would understand the significance of the foreigner coming 'from the sea' to this Druidic throwback or what 'horror' is found in Kurtz' Congolese or Vietnamese colonialism--that's what dooms most interracial, historical romances. Like my best teacher said, "Show, don't tell" a story, especially on film.