71% Hercules Jul 25

Swimming Pool Reviews

hunterjt13
hunterjt13

January 9, 2013
An author vacations at her publisher's French summer home and meets his daughter, a brazenly promiscuous young woman who becomes the subject of her new novel.
Ludivine Sagnier sizzles every moment she's on screen, but Charlotte Rampling, who always seems to be troubled by some hidden existential quandary, fizzles. The story is far from interesting, and it's only Sagnier's allure that keeps our attention on the film's characters: after all, when we boil this story down, it's merely about a woman briefly seduced by youth. The end. The third act is mostly senseless, and the final reveal is "senseless-er."
Overall, maybe it's only Sagnier's eyes and body and charm and eroticism that kept me interested in the film, but that's good enough for two stars.
Dan S

September 23, 2011
A stylish but ultimately somewhat disappointing exercise in writing, insanity, and the strain two very different people encounter living in the same vacation home. Think "The Odd Couple", only darker, nuder, and much more slower-paced, the film's overall style and masterful performances really help make somewhat mundane material watchable. Rampling is especially impressive as a writer trying to find inspiration for a new story, and maybe finding that in the town whore (Ludivine Sagnier), who just happens to be her publisher's daughter living with her for the time being. The ending does have a twist to it, although it is not as creative and mind-boggling as it thinks it is (I had two theories as to how it was end, one of them was right). Still, director Francois Ozon's feel for the camera and space is irrefutably remarkable, and the only thing that keeps this thing from being watchable is a near third-act collapse and a finale that is predictable. Still, not a bad film at all, probably worth watching if you are a French-art film fan.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

October 23, 2009
"On the surface, all is calm."

A British mystery author visits her publisher's home in the South of France, where her interaction with his unusual daughter sets off some touchy dynamics.

REVIEW
Intriguing character study with Rampling as a successful mystery writer who tries to come up with a new storyline is invited by her well-meaning editor Dance to visit his home in France where she gets more than she bargained for in the supine form of his Lolita-esque daughter (Sagnier). Surprisingly funny and plot enveloping as the film progresses into a nice little twist by the end yet could have used more juice to the proceedings at hand although Rampling again proves to be a wonderfully cunning actress that has more talent in her dead-pan eyes than most starlets do in their pinkies and Sagnier provides some naughty fun along the way.
Julie B

February 6, 2009
I couldn't remember if I'd seen this, so I started watching it and then I remembered that I had seen it, but I couldn't remember how it ended, so I watched it again. It's a good little thriller with a twist.
Apeneck F

January 23, 2009
a bored and self-disgruntled writer of formulaic mystery thrillers takes a vacation in the sultry French countryside to recharge and, quite literally, finds her Muse again. It's the budding relationship between the staid cool and controlled outer shell of the writer (Rampling wonderfully cast and playing against type...except for her eyes and lips!) and her steamy simmering - and much younger - interior self (Sagnier) that make this sexy female "Fight Club" take curiously fascinating.
Red L

October 21, 2008
A strange movie. I still don't get the last scene - Julie is not Julia??? But the relationship between Julie and Sarah is interesting to say the least.
Alexander W

March 20, 2008
Gets a bunch of stars for storyline but doesn't really fit in to any mode of the scene which is all the rave in any person fucking mouth. Right? Fuck off
cancercapricorn2002
cancercapricorn2002

July 1, 2007
English writer Sarah Morton (Charlotte Rampling) needs a break from London and wants to write her new novel in seclusion. Her publisher sends her to his Italian house--miles away from anyone. She loves it but then the publisher's daughter Julie (Ludivine Sagnier) shows up. Things get tense...and REALLY strange. To say anymore would be unthinkable. You'll have to see the movie to find out. I don't want to give to much away here

This is the kind of movie that switches gears halfway through--but pulls it off. It starts as a character study of Morton but when Julie shows up things take a decidedly unexpected twist. This does fall into " its not a film for everyone" category, for one reason you have to pay strict attention to catch all the twists and turns and alot of people are not up for that, In fact it doesn't totally make sense till the very end. Beautifully directed (and cowritten) by Francois Ozon--a real director to look out for.

Just a terrific film but like I said not for everyone. In the end it may be too quiet and require to much attention for some and there is a lot of nudity in this (mostly female) and if your of the prudish type then you might want to stay away but if your looking for a great story with alot of twists and turns you can't go wrong here.
Dean L

July 17, 2007
thought I was going to see a semi-traditional or foreign Mystery/Thriller. While this film held some attributes of both genres this was certainly not the crux. There is the beginning of some great character development and some wonderfully tranquil scenes and while I enjoyed the film it never quite got there (I would really give it more of 3.5 stars). I feel that the film decided to take an American turn as it twisted towards the end. This kind of twist is usually less transparent for foreign directors and left me somewhat unsatisfied. I will say that some of the subtle ambiguities were nice. One of the biggest problems I have is that every time the movie tries to be suspenseful you will know exactly what is about to happen next. Note the word "decides" and translate to be contrived. This detracted little from my enjoyment of the film though since the suspense was more of a construct and less of an integral part of the movie, but it became a little tedious in places. All in all this is a good film. It strives towards bringing you good characters, it has some wonderful scenery, it has some delicious erotic moments, and you will find yourself involved with the characters. All this having been said...it tries too hard and in trying it immediately fails. This movie should have let itself get where it wanted to go rather than forced to go where it ended up. I know this sounds confusing, but I do recommend the film and if you watch it you may agree with me. For those looking for a traditional thriller or car chase or need to perpetual over-stim of the Americanized thriller...look elsewhere. For those of you who took the time to read this whole review...this film is probably for you.
Jens S

May 19, 2007
Erotic thriller that's starting out somewhat slow and suffers from a rather dislikable female main character. The movie gets semi-entertaining once the nymphomaniac blonde enters the scene. After an hour, however, the characters start acting rather implausible and there is no real sign of excitement at any point, despite of the gorgeous blonde not wearing a whole lot. The final twist simply does not make sense at all. Once again, it's a case of the French trying to be deep but forgetting to entertain on the way.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 7, 2007
wonderful charlotte rampling performance in this interesting fim
Drew S

March 11, 2007
What I find most fascinating about Swimming Pool is its style. The film is a jarring combination of both the hard-lined, dry, rainy atmosphere of British films and the lurid psychosexuality of French ones. It certainly makes for a very interesting combination.

That's not to say that the rest of the movie doesn't hold up. Charlotte Rampling and Ludivine Sagnier both give superb performances, which is especially surprising given the latter's age and overall appearance. It almost parallels the film itself: there is far more depth to her than meets the eye.

Past these two strong points, the film is a pretty solid, unexceptional mystery with a few psychological twists and a weird ending. The last 15 minutes are kind of ridiculous.
Megan S

February 9, 2007
so as i was watching this movie and i was thinking that it was really weird and i wasn't quite sure what was going on until the end which was awesome and then i loved it. hehe.
Leigh R

August 25, 2006
Odd.
Lanning :

August 23, 2006
. . . until a twist ending that forces you to reevaluate everything you've seen. Only then will the mysteries of Swimming Pool be fully and tantalizingly revealed. Yeah right, Jeff Shannon. Yeeeeeowzah. Man, have I hit one streak of total losahs o'wot? Boy do we need Gene Siskel now more than ever.
Joey S

November 28, 2013
A slow-burning French thriller with more than enough tension and mystery, Swimming Pool is thoughtful and surprising at every turn and features two fantastic performances from Charlotte Rampling and French actress Ludivine Sagnier.
John B

March 25, 2013
Ozon creates such a wonderful world for Charlotte Rampling to play in with twists and turns that may or may not be real. A cracker of a film.
Yinalí R

June 9, 2008
very strange...akward movie.
Sylvester K

January 7, 2013
Lust and crime, those two never fail being together. In this erotic, bilingual thriller, we are introduced to two very different females, one conservative and mature, one promiscuous and troublesome. When things went wrong, they started to have complication. It's a good film that engages you and makes you feel like you are living with the two characters in a French mansion. The sexual tension was refreshing within the film and the suspense left me breathless. François Ozon's depiction of sex and thrill is amazing like no others.