Swingers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Swingers Reviews

½ April 29, 2016
"Swingers" feels authentic and mostly due to a fine cast, but also due to its nicely paced and relateable storyline.
April 8, 2016
We all know the lines and we all love this movie. Definitely one of my most watched. Who's the big winner? Mikey's the big winner.
April 5, 2016
So cool and so funny, expertly directed by Liman.
½ March 30, 2016
Anyone who reviews this movie bad, doesn't understand movies and needs to take a film class in college.
½ March 24, 2016
Trent (Vince Vaughn) is the friend you have that's only really fun if he's your friend. To fellow diners, gamblers, and lovers that pepper the room, he's an obnoxious extrovert with a bad habit of calling everything "money," of calling everyone "baby." He likes to loudly flirt with waitresses, to rowdily get into playful arguments with his pack of buddies. He's a riot, but he takes some getting used to, too; just meet him and you might find yourself exasperated by his unstoppable swagger.
Most of the time, you want him around - he's the fun friend that makes you extra witty when in his presence. But for now, he's the last person Mike (Jon Favreau) needs. A struggling comedian trying to adjust from New York to Los Angeles, Mike is just getting over a brutal breakup with his girlfriend of six years. Though it's been six months since they last spoke, he can't seem to think of anything besides the relationship he was once a part of. He'd rather drown in his self-pity than move on, but Trent is determined that a couple of one-night-stands and couple of memorable flirtations will do him some good. Maybe he's right - but to Mike, looking for romance is about as appealing as competing in a triathlon on an empty stomach, fifty pounds overweight.
But you can't turn down Trent's pep talks when he's determined, now can you?
1996's "Swingers," directed by Doug Liman and written by Favreau, is perhaps not the bromantic comedy I've made it out to be - I've only done so because this central story is the single piece of story really to be found amid its never-ending conversations. It's a talking movie of the "Chasing Amy" sort, concerned with the banter its characters participate in more than the coordination of something plot-driven. I don't have much of a problem with that so long as the talking's compelling and well-staged, and Favreau, fortunately, is a writer able to make restaurant booth exchanges and long-winded stories have luminosity that make the mundane more bewitching than the cinematic.
That's a feat, too. Favreau, who wrote the screenplay with his close friends in mind, concocts characters and relationships that go beyond plain convincing - the characters are as unintentionally hilarious as they are effortlessly human, hardly a faux result of Screenwriting 101. And the actors do Favreau's writing justice; though his own performance as the film's focal lonelyheart is the best and most touching of "Swingers," Vaughn is spectacular as his loud-mouthed sidekick, Ron Livingston effective as the stable counter to Vaughn's Trent, and Heather Graham, who shows up during the film's finale, is a sweet, potential love interest worthy of Mike's vulnerabilities.
"Swingers" is more a chatterbox than it is a straightforward comedy, drama, or romance, but get lost in the dialogue and you'll like the direction it takes you. Favreau's writing is as defiantly naturalistic as it is easily funny, Liman's direction breezy. And sidelined with Vaughn's charismatic, star-making turn, "Swingers" makes for a film of youthful cool we don't mind bowing down to.
March 5, 2016
Favreau's first movie was a great place to start out on
February 18, 2016
The movie that made us know Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn will surely not disappoint. It's humor is unique to the two leads, and is organic in the sense that it hits home for them. They believe what's happening because they lived it.

Written by Favreau and loosely based on he and Vaughn's life and friendship, Swingers is about a group of struggling actors who are involved in the '90s Hollywood swing revival. It follows Mike (Favreau), a New York native who can't get over his ex-girlfriend. But his friends, most notably Trent (Vaughn), try getting him out of his depression by forcing him back out onto the playing field.

Both leads are fantastic. Vaughn wows the audience with his unique brand of fast-talking humor. And Favreau is so convincing as a wallowing sad sack that you genuinely feel bad for the guy.

The scene towards the beginning where the pair of friends go to Las Vegas sets the tone for the entire movie. It establishes a style that is vehemently consistent throughout.

Swingers has everything that will make you want to drive to Los Angeles and Las Vegas right this second. It ties together the glitz and glamour of both cities, seamlessly connecting the two. But I think what captures the neon vibe of the film's locations is the juxtaposition of failing to make it. This failure, of course, isn't stressed. It's still opportunity. It's optimism.

Neither Mike nor Trent have had much success in the industry, but Trent is still having the time of his life, while Mike's only reason to be down on himself is his breakup. The film paints a perfect portrait of confident mediocrity, and being complacent with it.

The story's exposition takes its time, but in a perfect way. Every scene has a sincere purpose and contributes to establishing the depth of its characters. But it's beyond just the characters. A movie is refreshingly good if even the circumstances have depth. In fact, that's when it's great.

Twizard Rating: 97
½ January 31, 2016
Loved it. Favreau and Vaughn killed it. They were so young!
January 25, 2016
There is little not to like about something with the originality of "Swingers". You will have mixed emotions about its lead characters but you WILL care about them. All of this is because at its core this movie is about friendship and when you find a movie about friends who love each other enough to put that friend ahead of just about anything you can't do anything but be engrossed.
January 19, 2016
Main character (Mike) reminded me of a Woody Allen-like persona, lost as the world whirls around him. Vincent Vaughn as his charismatic pal at times runs away with the movie, but overall it's a great ensemble-type piece. Perhaps would have liked to have seen Mike trying to do things without his mates more. But his friends had his back and to watch them making sure Mike is OK is really touching.
A couple of great scenes with Favreau and his answering machine/telephone.
A real indie feel to this movie. Perhaps they could have edited the extended music scenes, but a minor quibble.
October 7, 2015
Swingers is a lot of fun. It's stylish, it's got a heartfelt story, relatable characters, its very funny and easy to watch. The movie moves quick and although it doesn't have a whole lot to say, I related a lot to Jon Favreau's character. Very slick, down to earth movie about romance. Also a ton of intertextual references here, many of them probably flew over my head. To mention a few the Reservoir Dogs walk and the Jaws music as he approaches the bar.
½ August 4, 2013
I guess this is where Favreau and Vaughn discovered the characters that they were to regurgitate for every future role they were to play. I wish I'd have seen this a long time ago as these characters now annoy me whereas I think I would have enjoyed this more had I not been bored by them already.
½ November 29, 2015
A movie I've meant to watch for what seems like forever, and I'm happy I finally did. Mike (Favreau) is a gullible loser that you can't help but root for, and hope it works out for him. Arguably the best I've seen out of Vince Vaughn. Very fun in this flick as the best friend. Mike's Voicemail Scene is gut wrenching to watch as a guy who's been there (as most of us have), but at the same time is extremely funny.
½ June 26, 2007
I think it's one of the best "hangout" films of all time. Basically, the film is coming from such a personal place. It's extremely relatable to these kinds of people who go out to the bars expecting love and happiness every weekend, and the contrasting characters in each group of friends who look at women in different ways. The low-budget, wandering feel of it that gives restrictions to the production design only helps the film achieve the authentic landscape and character dynamics. What it's like to be in your 20s, single and someone who thought they were going to be much more in life.
½ October 15, 2015
Maybe this is meant for guys only? I found this painful, stilted and sad to watch. The fact that the actors are mostly portraying themselves makes it worse. I really wanted to like this but gave up after 34 minutes, I just couldn't stomach anymore.
October 13, 2015
Surprisingly contemplative and thoughtful for a movie marketed as a "guys try to pick up chicks" film.
½ October 7, 2015
"Swingers'' is directed by Doug Liman. The cast includes Vince Vaughn and Jon Favreau. The film follows comedian, Mike Peters (Favreau). Mike has been going through relationship problems. His most recent breakup followed after a six year relationship, and Mike isn't taking it well. He can't stop thinking, or talking about his ex, and chews the ear off of anyone he talks to. Mike's friend, Rob (Vaughn) suggests a break from his problems, and drives him to Las Vegas to play poker and hook up with babes.

Part of what makes this film great are the performances. Jon Favreau is a great writer, director, and actor. Not only does Favreau give a good performance, the script for the film is also brilliant. Favreau's writing style is energetic as hell, and full of fantastic dialogue. Also, as a fan of Vince Vaughn, I found his performance also very enjoyable. Recently, Vaughn starred in the second season of hit television show, True Detective. He's a wonderful actor with a massive range.

"Swingers'' is a funny, charming, and well written comedy that admittedly, is a tad generic. If you enjoyed the film, High Fidelity, will very much enjoy this film. The performances are strong, the direction is solid, and the script is sublime.
½ February 22, 2012
A must watch almost exclusively for Vince Vaughn's star-turning performance.
September 13, 2015
Original, funny and sincere.
August 28, 2015
Momentos de imensa inspiração - como a cena em que o início e o fim de uma relação amorosa se dá ao curso de alguns recados deixados na secretária eletrônica da pretendente - intercalados com vai-e-véns previsíveis de nightclubs e bares através dos quais um típico grupo de machos sai à caça.