Swinging With The Finkels Reviews

October 3, 2014
When the film's funniest moment is Angus Deayton asking for an Anal Blast cocktail then you know you are in for a rough ride. Cliched and an utter waste of time.
½ June 20, 2014
Probably the most depressing "comedy" I've ever seen. The two leads have zero chemistry together.
February 7, 2014
Quite cute with some laughs.
January 13, 2014
One line summary: Boring script, indifferent idea, lackluster acting.

-----------------------

Alvin and Ellie have been married for nine years, and their intimacy has reached a plateau, a dry patch. The discuss this with friends, at first obliquely, then more openly. Their friends Janet and Jonathan have been married for about the same number of years, but also have a toddler plus a nursing child. Their situation is even more 'dried up.' Someone suggests costumes in the bedroom. The fireman's getup did not work at all.

Ellie's manicure team suggest that she masturbate with a cucumber. She tries this after checking that she has sufficient time alone. She is deeply into the rhythm of it when Alvin returns with her grandparents, who have just flown in from the States. Unfortunately, he makes the mistake of opening their bedroom door without knocking and asking for permission to enter. Mr. and Mrs. Winters (the grandparents) have a wide variety of comments afterward.

Ellie gets advice from her friend at work; Alvin gets advice at work whether he asks for it or not. Ellie's advisers are a gay couple, who suggest swinging. Alvin's advisers are a man from Canada and a young fellow from India who suggest Alvin take a mistress.

They broach the idea with Peter and Janet, and that does not go well.

The meet a number of couples through queries on the Internet. This is unsuccessful at first. After many attempts, they meet a couple who seem normal enough and are of a similar age and stage in their lives, with similar 'drying up' problems. They set a date to have a first swap. They have some drinks with suggestive names, play pictionary, where the first word involves 'vulva.' Then they set off into separate bedrooms.

There are not a lot of warmth the next morning, and the new couple take off fairly quickly. Alvin and Ellie find it hard to talk to each other afterwards, which is exactly what they need to do. Peter and Janet break up. Alvin and Ellie start back-biting, which leads directly to an indefinite separation.

Goodness. Do the two couples get back together? Does anyone learn anything from all this discontent?

------Scores------

Cinematography: 9/10 No particular problems.

Sound: 9/10 OK.

Acting: 2/10 Jonathan Silverman I could have done without completely. Melissa George was horrible. Martin Freeman and Mandy Moore were more or less competent, and delivered the script. Everyone else was between OK and lackluster.

Screenplay: 2/10 Boring, not engaging, seldom funny, not inventive. The ending sucked rocks.
June 21, 2013
Even Martin Freeman can't save this film.
October 28, 2012
A Pretty stupid rom-com,obviously with a stupider gimmick,but Martin Freeman isn't bad,but besides that,this is pretty awful stuff
March 18, 2013
Swinging with The Finkels is bad movie. If you go into the movie knowing that, then you'll be fine, but you will have get used to stupid jokes and awkward moments. Ever since I saw Tangled starring the beautiful and talented Mandy Moore and The Hobbit starring the always amazing Martin Freeman, I've been wanting to see this movie. Unfortunately, this movie left me wanting to see them in a more fantastical setting with a smarter script and decent director at least.
December 30, 2012
It was good enough for me to want to see how it ended.
½ December 17, 2012
It's unfunny for those who don't know people who passed for this momentos, unfunny for those who don't know of art, acting and analyzing a script and characters even scenarios. It's unfunny for does who don't understand life itself. For me it's a brilliant movie, it's not comedy at all, it's life divided in pieces! Life is like this, friends are like this, life is unfair but brilliant to re-tell millions of stories in different versions and styles, languages and places! Life is beautiful same as those who have made it to the 50 anniversary even Christmas alive! Who said life was easy to understand? Nobody! I cannot give it 5/5 stars at all because it started somehow slow as expected (the jokes were ok and some cliches were too, I would have changed some, but oh well...), still it was a brilliant piece of art. I would recommend this movie for those who know and understand life, acting, scripts, scenarios/sets designs, costumes, dancing, playing video games....this movie is not for critiques who have not being on this shoes (or may but forget, as Petit-Prince says or one of his characters, you were younger and you don't remember or don't want to remember, something like that). PD: Martin Freeman and Mandy Moore were amazing in this movie! The director did a wonderful job with this cast and extras too!

ENJOY AND HASTA LA PROXIMA MES AMIS! AU REVOIR AND MERRY CHRISTMAS - December 17, 2012.
November 25, 2012
So it starts like it is going to the the American Pie of adult romantic comedies... #FAILURE
November 14, 2012
Its ok as a british comedy, but honestly I've seen better, as far as Rom-coms go, do we really need the obligatory American actress and actor these days really!!!
½ November 5, 2012
Didn't finish watching it.
October 31, 2012
thought this would have been better,good to see Jonathan Silverman again on screen and Mandy Moore masturbates with a cucumber so its not all bad
October 18, 2012
Averagely funny, averagely sweet, so averagely rated. Martin Freeman is still adorable tho!
October 4, 2012
Martin Freeman proves to be funny in this film, while Mandy Moore is hard to see some funny bone in. The first half on the film is a little strange and uncomfortable to begin with, but the rest of the film ends with a happy ending.
October 2, 2012
Maybe I'm just weird, but I thought it was hilariously awkward. And if anyone can play awkward perfectly and make it endearing, it's Martin Freeman.
July 28, 2012
REALLY not good. Clueless and boring, with lots of helpful scene inserts to solve the non-existent mysteries and help us on our way. I lost interest in this as a real movie when Mandy Moore (see...fading already) decided to hump a cucumber. Skin-a-max, maybe. Real film...er, uh, NO.
½ August 26, 2012
What was I thinking? ... apparently ... nothing. Nothing good to say about this movie. One word ... crap
½ August 11, 2012
Nesten ikke en middels film. Var ikke så mye spennende som skjedde. Fremføringen kom liksom ikke fra hjertet.
½ August 5, 2012
I'm a fan of both Freeman and Moore, but they're better than this...