Charlize Theron Has Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

She also has a producer's credit and the starring role.

She'll spend the summer blending humor and superhero action with Will Smith and Jason Bateman in Hancock, but Charlize Theron already has Vengeance on her mind.

While promoting her latest film, Sleepwalking, Theron told MTV Movies that she's working on an adaptation of Park Chan-Wook's Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. Though she described the film as "in the very early stages" of development, Theron is committed to produce and star -- and she knows she's got her work cut out for her:

We're intimidated almost beyond belief. [Park Chan-Wook] made an almost perfect film. I wouldn't do it if it wasn't for him and his encouragement. He came to me and said he really wanted us to do this. He didn't want to direct it. He really wanted to see that story told in an American society. If he wasn't so encouraging, I don't think I could go through with it. It'll be a different director.

The original film, released in 2005, wrapped up the vengeance-themed trilogy the director started with 2002's Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and continued with 2003's Oldboy:

On the heels of her release from prison, Lee Geum-ja embarks on a mission to track down the man responsible for her imprisonment, which also resulted in her being forced to give up her daughter for adoption. Hardened by years in the penitentiary and endlessly fantasizing about the right way to exact revenge, she enlists the help of former cellmates to accomplish her goal. But what she uncovers is a secret so horrifying that no revenge seems fitting.

As Theron acknowledged, successfully remaking Lady Vengeance will be difficult; Tomatometer critics gave the original a 75 percent Tomatometer rating, and RT users were even kinder, sending it all the way to 88 percent. Place your bets!

Source: MTV Movies

Comments

AFuneralMaker

Johnathan Ross

I've already got low expectations being that they think it is called Sympathy For Lady Vengeance. It is simply Lady Vengeance. Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance would be the first move in the series. Oldboy was the best, but I curse the day they remake that film into an American waste heep.

Mar 17 - 05:17 AM

pulpfantrntno

matt smith

official international titles from IMDB:

Also Known As (AKA)
Lady Vengeance Finland / France / Germany / Sweden / USA
Ekdikisi mias kyrias, I Greece
Kind-Hearted Ms. Geum-Ja (undefined) (literal English title)
Lady Vingança Brazil (festival title)
Lady vendetta Italy
My Lady Vengeance Hong Kong (DVD box title) (English title)
Qin-joe-han gump-ja-she North Korea
Señora venganza Mexico
Shed Tears for Lady Vengeance Philippines (DVD title) (English title)
Simpatía por la mujer venganza Argentina (festival title)
Simpatija za gdu. Osvetnicu Croatia (DVD title)
Sincere geum-ja Hong Kong (Cantonese title)
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance UK (DVD box title)

Mar 17 - 06:01 AM

Tobey, Boi

Jack Blumenthal

Low expectations here too. But you're wrong about the title. It was released in the U.S. as Lady Vengeance because not many people know about sympathy for mr. vengeance. I know this because i loved old boy and immediately imported SFLV from kooooorea for my region free Mac. so eat it, suckbag.

Mar 17 - 12:42 PM

Tobey, Boi

Jack Blumenthal

Mar 17 - 12:42 PM

pulpfantrntno

matt smith

official international titles from IMDB:

Also Known As (AKA)
Lady Vengeance Finland / France / Germany / Sweden / USA
Ekdikisi mias kyrias, I Greece
Kind-Hearted Ms. Geum-Ja (undefined) (literal English title)
Lady Vingança Brazil (festival title)
Lady vendetta Italy
My Lady Vengeance Hong Kong (DVD box title) (English title)
Qin-joe-han gump-ja-she North Korea
Señora venganza Mexico
Shed Tears for Lady Vengeance Philippines (DVD title) (English title)
Simpatía por la mujer venganza Argentina (festival title)
Simpatija za gdu. Osvetnicu Croatia (DVD title)
Sincere geum-ja Hong Kong (Cantonese title)
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance UK (DVD box title)

Mar 17 - 06:01 AM

Raziel5000

Lee Mountford

We'll, theres 2 out of the 3 up for remake (apparently Nick Cage's production company has got the rights to Oldboy - with him to star).

I'm hope they do a good job, but I can't see it. It'll be watered down without question. But if its dumbed down then we really haven't got a movie.

Interesting that Park Chan-Wook is so enthusiastic though. Maybe if he has some creative input it might work.

Mar 17 - 06:07 AM

AFuneralMaker

Johnathan Ross

The Oldboy remake rumors were already previously squashed.

Mar 17 - 10:49 AM

xenogears

J'rome Holmes II

Why remake these. Plenty of Americams seem to be able to read so just let them watch the originals which are not that old. Sympathy for Mr. Vengence and Oldboy where excellent (I have not seen Lady Vengence). Don't screw them up. If you must, put an english dub to them.

Mar 17 - 06:21 AM

Sadistik

J. P.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...stop it already. STOP IT.

Enough with the remakes.........especially the originals from the vengeance trilogy. They are amazing as is, and plenty of Americans have seen them.

Mar 17 - 08:27 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

" Plenty of Americams seem to be able to read"

That's where you're wrong!

Mar 17 - 09:00 AM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

Sadly I think Arendr is right.

To give an example, when I saw The Orphanage, there was this older couple who complained the whole movie about it being subtitled. The guy even fell asleep and started snoring, woke up, and continued complaining. In the front of the theater by where the tickets were bought there was a sign that stated that the movie was subtitled. I guess they couldn't or didn't want to read that either.

I always prefer subtitled foreign made movies over dubbing (which is usually just terrible), but I've heard way too many people complain about subtitles to believe that this is the norm.

Mar 17 - 10:51 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

"Sadly I think Arendr is right"

I've heard this so many times in my life.

Mar 17 - 11:03 AM

AFuneralMaker

Johnathan Ross

The Oldboy remake rumors were already previously squashed.

Mar 17 - 10:49 AM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

Sadly I think Arendr is right.

Mar 17 - 10:51 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

"Sadly I think Arendr is right"

I've heard this so many times in my life.

Mar 17 - 11:03 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

"Sadly I think Arendr is right"

I've heard this so many times in my life.

Mar 17 - 11:03 AM

Tobey, Boi

Jack Blumenthal

Mar 17 - 12:42 PM

Tobey, Boi

Jack Blumenthal

Mar 17 - 12:42 PM

Bob*

bob askins

Simpathy was a great movie. Why doing it again? Remakes are already bad ideas but making a good movie AGAIN is just nonsense.

Mar 17 - 03:59 PM

LoMaX

andrew lomax

Some things should be left alone. This makes me sad.

Mar 17 - 06:53 PM

screwhead100

Ben Wellick

" Plenty of Americams seem to be able to read"

lol, i have friends who wont go to the movies or even watch a movie at home if it has subtitles.....how horrible is that

Mar 18 - 02:14 AM

donwillymo

Will Padin

Charlize Theron needs to do a movie where she gets naked...oh wait that's like every movie she's been in forget it.

Mar 18 - 06:59 AM

Cop.P

Martin Coppel

ohhh no!!, the vengeance trilogy is a classic, the 3 movies are great, specially Old Boy. They are gonna destroy a movie classic, they should'nt remake this movie, the Korean culture and the American culture are not the same, plus that movie is nothing if it is not directed by PARK.

Mar 18 - 10:51 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

What's pissing me off is that I haven't been able to get hold of a copy of Lady Vengeance yet. Old Boy, for sure, is the best one so far. But I'm starved to seek Lady Vengeance. I was lucky enough to finally find a copy of The Twilight Samurai last week at a local Blockbuster. That's another one I had a long, hard time getting hold of.

Apr 1 - 10:57 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office