Syrup

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Syrup Reviews

Hamee
November 17, 2013
This was a very unusual story, but I found it entertaining. Marketing people can be despicable and slimy, but you want poor Scat to succeed in his career and with the girl.
November 14, 2013
I like the novel, but this movie is just bad. It's poorly acted and poorly written and tries to dress slick, but doesn't know how to act slick. I couldn't even finish watching it.
November 9, 2013
A love story wrapped up in a marketing lesson that went down as easily as chugging syrup.
PantaOz
PantaOz

November 3, 2013
Syrup is satirical comedy based on the novel of the same name by Max Barry. Directed by Aram Rappaport and screenplay written by the director and the author of the novel - it had potential! But when you hear that the movie will be released as a Video on Demand only - that potential is usually not reached! Perfectly casted Amber Heard as 6 (Elizabeth) and Shiloh Fernandez as Scat (Michael) accompanied by Kellan Lutz as Sneaky Pete, Brittany Snow as Three, Josh Pais as Davidson and Kate Nash as Beth, gave everything they have, and that should be enough for a positive review.

The camera work was sometime quite exciting, every part was edited very well, the sound was perfect... yes, there was nothing too exciting... but there was nothing bad either! It was somewhere in the middle with the story, it had its laughs, not huge, but there were still laughs. Following the guide in marketing with Scat (Shiloh Fernandez) wasn't boring, but I never got too excited, either. Advertising is, of course, the art of creating a need where none exists, and at this Scat - he thinks it sounds like jazz, but to others it evokes animal poop - is something of a master. He spent lots of time couch-surfing and staring at the ceiling, but it seems that those hours at the end were worthy. However, when he realizes what he himself needs - the girl in the power suit - he finds he's all empty talk and no real walk. Everything is about the image until that moment for him and as he begins to realize that fame and fortune have cost him his morality... he is given a chance to rediscover his true self when the elaborate image he has created is taken down!

Nice message, nice acting, average story, with excellent camera work. That's it!
September 28, 2013
even miss Heard can't save this piece of crap.
April 26, 2013
Odd movie. I wanted to like it, but the characters were very distant, shallow, and unlikable. Moreover, the movie felt polished, slick, but with little substance. It's ironic, because that's kind the message the movie was preaching against - and I guess it did that somewhat effectively - but it was almost guilty of everything it criticized. It was okay... just nothing that left you with any sort of emotional response and completely forgettable.
September 15, 2013
Sleek and bearable with the right suspension of disbelief. Looks great visually but plot loses steam quickly.
August 24, 2013
Pacing and characterization were awful, while the story seemed like it could have been so much more. There were very amazing standout parts of the story but nothing ever came of them. All of the characters seemed to play one character stereotype and never became actual people. I've never read the book but I hope it was better than this.
August 13, 2013
I've watched a lot of movies about marketing lately and this is not one of the best: the romantic story prevails too much on the social meanings. But the cast is quite good and they're all so beautiful that's a pleasure to watch 'em. In the end I think it's not so bad.
August 3, 2013
Watch it for the marketing concepts,
April 11, 2013
Would you believe it in love at first sight? What we see is what it really is, or is only something in which we rely to create something even bigger? Even when you know someone can doubt really know that person, she may be telling the truth or not. "Syrup", a film by Aram Rappaport, talks a bit about this and a little more about the image of what we want.

We, after all, everything is done to conquer you. The ads are made with the intention of making you want, not what you see or pay attention, as it is said in the film: "We do not even notice." But the brain gets the message and enters the desire, which can become uncontrollable. However, not just advertising that lives with love can work the same way.

The character of Shiloh Fernandez comes to confirm both. With great ideas that are worth millions and millions. But he stuck by what he knows is a lie, and a lie irresistible, he is attracted to Six (Amber Heard), but nothing about it is true. Everything about it is just an image, created to attract people. The two main characters work their image, but one of them ends up getting lost in their own lies.

And it's always like, lie after lie. Bought lies that supposedly make us feel good, but with the influence and buying so many lies just losing ourselves. Exactly, we forget who we are, because we are made of things we want, or rather, the things we think we want. Just getting difficult to get out of this, it is difficult to remember what you really wanted or needed. Our lives are induced to be lived not the way we want, but the way they want.

But who wants that? Those who have the power and forget a basic truth: With great power like this, to influence and make people want things, comes great responsibility. Looks like it came from another place, but it's true. What happens is that nobody cares about that responsibility. Since a fault is indicated when such liability is required by certain consequences, in as much as we pleased. Nobody cares, and should it?

Maybe so. It would be nice, for once, be able to perceive and move away a little of that. Stop it. And this is so difficult, we consumerist, and not only products, but also of people. What I mean by that is that we create an idea about what it is that person and sell, to buy, to become famous, and in the end we do not know the reason, it ends up being forgotten. It's amazing how the film manages to tackle all this and even a little more.

The small script may at one point or another, but these flaws are eventually rewarded by two actors, who are very well in the film and has a very good chemistry. But do not be fooled, it can be a simple story but the way it is approached apart. See Amber Heard is always a pleasure and here is lovely the way it is crafted her character, she did not want to be mere sexual desire of every home and she is not, is only the possibility of such a desire, which makes it even easier to get what he wants. However, until the girl from the movie needs to be something you want to you can do want.

So that's the truth, it's all a lie, told by us to ourselves. And that is why it is worth watching this movie, so it brings you back to reality, not that your in which you live, but that you hide from yourself, but see every day. For example like love at first sight, at last, there or not? Or better, and love, is there? Maybe, but you may confuse you with disappointment. Not to be in love with the image that is delivered to you is essential. Who are you and what is your image? Know the answer to these two questions is to answer those, about love, which many confuse with other things and leave sell for lies told by them for themselves. It only remains to know when you will believe them.
July 12, 2013
Book so good, movie so bad. I hope Max Barry gets another shot at Hollywood, because this movie does his fantastic work a disservice.
July 10, 2013
A somewhat above average and snarky romcom about marketing but Amber Heard looking sexy as hell is what made this film.
July 6, 2013
excellent movie made on corporate marketing world rivalry..
July 6, 2013
worst movie i have seen in a while
July 4, 2013
Syrup is just like the marketing concept it tries to explain: Branded nothingness.
July 4, 2013
Good movie. Shows how big business market to us mindless cattle.
June 29, 2013
It's a bit deeper than this review would lead you to believe. He's real ( the main character) she's not ( 6) and as the story unfolds, 6 is confronted with her shallowness. Will it cost her the man she loves? Will her fear of being real win out? Is love more important than worldly success to her?? It's a question we all face in American life really. What's more important? substance or image. Amber Heard, she knows red lipstick and I for one have never seen a woman, on screen or off, own it with such intelligence. She's why there is red lipstick.
June 21, 2013
A great movie for Marketeers. But for anyone else, it's just marketing, not living up to its true potential - the ending is not satisfying enough after all the cool build up.