Box Office Guru Wrapup: Taken 2 Soars to Huge #1 Opening

Summary

Back to Article

Comments

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Looper was pretty good. The characters and story are engaging and the action was classy, solid R. I would recommend it for JGL's Willis impression alone. They only really share one scene but its golden.

Oct 7 - 10:07 PM

todd123

Todd Garry

Just my opinion but I feel as though Burton has made so many mediocre movies as of recent that people are less inclined to see his new ones. I am still baffled that Taken 2 took in so much money. You couldn't pay me to see that movie. The first was beyond mediocre. Its sad how many terrible movies succeed and how many great movies fail.

Oct 7 - 10:28 PM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Agreed on Burton.

Oct 9 - 05:01 AM

Andrew StClair

Andrew StClair

I get a kick out of the fact that back in 2007, audiences and critics were praising Tim Burton as a genius for his Sweeney Todd. Many critics were putting it as one of their best films of the year, and audiences were saying that it was the best Burton film in decades. So, between Sweeney Todd and Frankenweenie, Burton puts out a couple of mediocre films and suddenly everyone starts saying that Burton's been putting out a whole lot of bad films. Some saying that he hasn't had a great film in nearly 20 years. It seems like audiences and critics forgot that they loved this film that came out just five years ago. And even before Sweeney Todd he did Corpse Bride which was praised by both audiences and critics and recieved an Oscar nomination for best animated feature (should have won). Before that was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which was a hit at the box office as well as being well reviewed by critics and (discluding the fanboys of the stupid 70s film) audiences. Before that was Big Fish which recieved good reviews from critics and was nominated for four Golden Globes including best picture. So, Burton has churned out really only a couple of lame movies recently, but everyone acts as if he hasn't had a big movie since the 1990s....

Oct 14 - 09:15 AM

ed s.

ed santana

Why do you think people look at critics as abnormal people who look like gremlins...because they don't know a dam thing...taken 2 was awesome....critics get no respect and they should continue to be on the bottom of the totem pole or that sticky substance on the bottom of the trash can. :)

Oct 7 - 11:14 PM

Josh Evans

Josh Evans

Losing faith in humanity.

Oct 8 - 12:07 AM

ballermat982

ballermat 982

So is it fair to say your faith in humanity has been TAKEN?

Oct 8 - 06:56 AM

Myron

Myron Kinsey

I guess stupid people love stupid movies.

Oct 8 - 12:12 AM

ballermat982

ballermat 982

Oh come on. It's Liam Neeson. LIAM NEESON!!

Oct 8 - 06:47 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Taken 1: (via cell phone) "You will be taken..."
Taken 2: (via cell phone) "Your mother and I are about to be taken..."
Taken 3: (via cell phone) "The dog has been taken..."

Oct 8 - 06:06 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Taken 4: (via cell phone) "My lunch has been taken..."

Oct 8 - 06:56 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Nice!

Oct 8 - 07:10 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Taken 5: (via fax machine) "My garden gnome has been taken."

Oct 8 - 11:46 AM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

Taken 6 (via Twitter): My TAKEN Blu-ray box set of the first five films has been taken!

Oct 8 - 04:16 PM

dd9090

Don Romero

At least the line doesn't show up in EVERY Liam Neeson movie..

I'm surprized TAKEN 3 was: "The audience is about to be taken.." LOL

I'll Be Bach!

Oct 10 - 02:47 PM

ballermat982

ballermat 982

Oh come on. It's Liam Neeson. LIAM NEESON!!

Oct 8 - 06:47 AM

ballermat982

ballermat 982

So is it fair to say your faith in humanity has been TAKEN?

Oct 8 - 06:56 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Taken 4: (via cell phone) "My lunch has been taken..."

Oct 8 - 06:56 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Nice!

Oct 8 - 07:10 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Taken 5: (via fax machine) "My garden gnome has been taken."

Oct 8 - 11:46 AM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

Oct 8 - 04:16 PM

King  S.

King Simba

I doubt Taken 3 will perform like The Bourne Ultimatum. I think opening weekend wise, the franchise will peak at 2. Like Transformers 2 or The Hangover 2, the success of Taken 2 comes simply from the goodwill of the first. We'll probably see a Taken 3 but it'll almost certainly show a drop off from the second.

Not surprised about the opening weekend of Frankenweenie. Even Corpse Bride, despite the pressance of Johnny Depp at the height of his popularity and Burton coming after the well recieved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and being in color only managed a 19 mil OW, so it's no surprise that the B&W Frankenweenie that was facing much stronger competition and had Burton coming after the dissapointment of Dark Shadows and Abraham Lincoln (which was sold partly on his name) opened a lot less. It's a pity stop motion hasn't taken off in the US. Here's hoping that the performance of stop motion flicks this year doesn't put a damper on the production on more stop motion films (they do have the advanatage of lesser budgets than CGI animated films).

Oct 8 - 07:10 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Nice!

Oct 8 - 07:10 AM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Gone Girl Trailer