65% The Equalizer Sep 26

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Taking Lives Reviews

Red L

October 22, 2012
There are times knowing the schedule is detrimental to watching the movie. The movie sort of ended - they had the bad guy, but there was still 20 minutes left in the time slot! Sure enough the cops had it wrong, and Angelina Jolie had to save the day.
Albert K

September 18, 2010
Angelina Jolie strips for like no reason. horrible movie.
Dean !

December 31, 2006
A decent enough thriller if nothing new, or groundbreaking. Doesn't deserve the slating it has got from some though?? I enjoy thrillers and the tracking of a serial killer type. It has a few jumpy moments, although the plot is a bit predictable. Still enjoyable to watch.
Wildaly M

January 15, 2008
I was confused about the whole film and then the end confused me even more.
Conner R

November 18, 2009
Not the best crime/thriller ever, but had it come out about a decade beforehand it would have gotten a lot more positive responses. It's a really interesting story with great characters. Angelina Jolie and Ethan Hawke clearly gave the movie a more polished look and really made it charming as well as suspenseful. I really admired the movie for keeping you on your toes.
Summer W

June 25, 2009
I think they tried to be shocking, but they couldn't have been more predictable.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

June 19, 2009
"He would kill to be you."

An FBI profiler is called in by French Canadian police to catch a serial killer who takes on the identity of each new victim.

REVIEW
There's nothing particularly bad about Taking Lives - at least if there was a cement mixer somewhere to fill in the plot holes. In many ways it's an above average thriller about a serial killer being hunted by lovely FBI agent Angelina Jolie, who manages to be far more alluring than any FBI agent has the right to be. There's several shocks worthy of making you jump out of your seat, a generous and tasty smattering of gruesome body parts, a car chase, explosion and some nudity. It's main flaw perhaps is that it goes on far too long, and our suspension of disbelief is teetering too precariously for comfort. The basic premise is that the serial killer escapes detection by taking on the identity of his victims. We get some very brief overview shots suggesting how he maybe achieves this from a technical point of view, but when the expected twist at the end outstays its welcome in a very extended coda involving Jolie saving the day by 'dazzling insight' into the killer's mind that soon looks too much like a writer's fantasy: it is then that we start asking ourselves if the main plot was actually believable. Entertaining enough if your expectations aren't too high, but one does wonder when Angelina Jolie is going to take on roles worthy of her not inconsiderable acting ability after this.
Coxxie M

June 14, 2009
i could see the ending coming even before i could see Kiefer Sutherlands gonna be bald in 6 years.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 14, 2007
i like this movie its got a great storyline well acted and twists and turns with a fantastic ending and really worth a watch as its nothing you would expect really worth a watch
Josh L

October 29, 2008
Needed a recasting I think. Jolie was fine, but Sutherland was massively underused and could have easily done a better job than Ethan Hawke. To say more would give the plot away. The movie is a retread and not original in hardly any ways, but the ending came as a surprise to me so it gets points for that. Otherwise, its the same stuff you have seen before, over and over again. It had potential if, like I said, the actors were switched or possibly replaced.
Dan S

October 21, 2007
Not dark enough nor original enough to make it worth a look. Hawke is superb in a movie that relies solely on a big twist ending (that fails gigantically), ruining a slam-bang of an opening that proved it had potential to be good, but its one-dimensional characters and tenseless plot take a big toll.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

December 5, 2006
Actually, it's been a pretty good story... A story about serial murder that been happening and the murderer been using the victim identity for his own pleasure... Angelina Jolie shows great acting in here, she's really charming even becomes an FBI agent this time... The weakest point of the story maybe comes from Ethan Hawke... Since the first time he appears, I know that he's the murderer... He's trying to put a good performance so that people can't guess that he's the real murder but what happens is that didn't work... Maybe he still have the innocent face, but that didn't strong enough... I know that is a hard character to play and he's giving his best, but that doesn't really enough... Too bad Kiefer Sutherland only appears a little in this movie, and trying to put him as the bad guy in this movie didn't really work at all.. Actually, I've been a little surprised with the ending that the murderer escaped... But it still thrills me in the end... Pretty good movie to watch...
Lady D

March 28, 2007
Not a bad serial killer movie, certainly a unique story and one I've watched many times.
Jason S

January 31, 2007
This was a pretty boring movie. There wasn't a whole lot of suspense going on with this one and I pretty much knew who the killer was right off the bat. The premise was good and it could have been done well but the pacing was slow and the characters were not fleshed out enough for me to care about.
Bone Collector is far superior to this flick.
Dean L

July 17, 2007
This movie was incredibly predictable and transparent. Anyone who is even a semi-fan of the genre will be able to see through every attempted twist from beginning to end including the identity of the killer. In addition, the ending seemed like a rushed wrap up job. The ending made little sense (as did many of agent Scott?s actions) and appeared to be a quick way out. This could be part and parcel of the wholly linear way the film was written and depicted. I have seen this compared to the magnificent film, ?Silence of the Lambs.? It is in no way like ?Silence of the Lambs? save for the fact that a female FBI agent is portrayed and there is a serial killer. Also, the performances are lackluster. The intensity is just not there for this to be a taut thriller. So as not to spoil I will not mention names, but it was nice to see some familiar faces in the film that were unexpected for me yet under-utilized. All this having been said?I was entertained. I could have waited for cable, but it was a fine diversion. It is better than some of the tripe that Hollywood has tried to thrust upon this flavor of film. If you are looking for something that is going to really strike fear in your heart though?this movie just does not do it.
deano
deano

March 28, 2007
Great formula serial thriller with Angelina Jolie and Ethan Hawke about the FBI agent gets up close and personal with intelligent psycho's variety.
Beefy
Beefy

November 24, 2006
Laugh out loud unintentionally funny. Also, let's be honest - hot sex scenes with Jolie.
James A

March 13, 2006
Well Ethan Kawke does work her.