• Unrated, 2 hr. 19 min.
  • Reliance Big Pictures

Talaash Reviews

familiar s
½ March 21, 2013
May add a comment later...........
Rohit B December 7, 2012
Either its the high bar in my head for Aamir Production or just the high level of expectation from Aamir as an actor.... this was a major disappointment.
Not to be a pure cynic, but I highly advise people who have viewed "Sixth Sense" not to go, trust me there are better things you can do with your time.
Deepak V August 21, 2014
Bollywood is growing up. What we think is that we are on the track to a murder but the events turn out quite simple and strong.
Jay T. Jay T. March 1, 2014
Pretty good. One of the very good movies of Bollywood!
Hemant B January 21, 2014
This is the disappointment of the year!! Really hate this movie what a crap movie from the so-called perFAKEtionist aamir khan
Sarfaraz Abbasi Sarfaraz Abbasi January 14, 2014
Talaash (the Quest) produced under the banner of Amir Khan Productions and directed by Reema Kagti. Talaash stars Amir Khan ("3 Idiots or Three Idiots" Bollywood's magnanimous actor alongside with Shahrukh Khan), Kareena Kapoor and Rani Mukherjee. Film's song-lyrics were written by legendary former script-writer Javed Akhtar (the co-writer of the Bollywood's most celebrated film 'Sholay' 1975). It earned $2million worldwide.

Film opens in Mumbai at night, a car at limitless speed plunges into ocean. Mumbai police-officer Amir Khan arrives at the scene and launches investigations. Amir has just moved in to Mumbai with his wife (Rani Mukherjee), he is suffering from insomnia, after tragic death of his little son, which he blames upon himself, careless enough to have let it happen. He stays or better to say finds opportunities to spend nights outside at work, to evade suffering of his son's death. Amir meets a call-girl (Kareena Kapoor) from red-light area, who was seen in a hotel surveillance-video with her client; who died in a car-accident, in the beginning of the film. Rani, is approached by neighboring lady who claims to have been talking to her dead son; when desperate mother, tells this to her husband (Amir), he rebukes her and insults the lady. Slowly, murder-case is progressing to solving - and the climax has too much twist and surprises.

Let me tell you first, that I do not watch Indian movies because of frequent plagiarism and stealing of others works (except classic movies of legendary actor Amitabh Bachchan and current actors Amir Khan and Shahrukh Khan - who rose to their stardom with early critical work). Anyways, 'Talaash' is a film that I watched longtime since it was released. What actually made me to enjoy it, are mystery/crime/twist/music-score and filming at night, boost noir-touch in it. I truly loved the climax that ends with similar opening-scene - this time, Amir inside the car, same location and same circumstances surrounding the accident.

Will he survive the accident? Who is red-light area call-girl? Why does she meet him when he is alone? Is the neighboring lady, an opportunist to deceive Rani about seeing her dead son? Will the murder-case of prominent celebrity be solved? Is Amir going to live rest of his life with grief about his son?
Davey K. Davey K. December 24, 2013
Brillant character study in the realm of grief and loss. I enjoyed the twist and how the film came together at the end. Would have got 5 stars if not for the extremely slow pace
Ava L December 24, 2013
It is touching because it sympathizes parents who lost their kid as well as poor prostitutes and lame pimps.
Akshay R ½ November 6, 2013
Schizophrenic, as it doesn't concentrate on any particular point of the story and just goes haywire from the second act itself. It tries to be a cop story, ends up as a ghost story.
Shamith G October 19, 2013
Zero Stars.....Worse than chennai Express...
Priti P ½ October 14, 2013
'Talaash' is one movie, which is not about plot but totally about characters and their respective quests i.e. 'Talaash'. All three main characters are well defined and fine layered, a rare sight in our Bollywood movies. And all three actors have done full justice to their roles. An added feather to their acting cap is Nawazuddin. Shernaz as usual is good with her job.

Aamir is in search of offloading his self imposed personal guilt, Rani is searching for lost emotional connection and Kareena is looking for justice. All three are in constant state of ache and despair and this has been beautifully portrayed. An extra point goes to Kareena for looking surreal in the film. Alongside, an extra point goes to Reema, for aptly showing two parallel but different journeys of Aamir without any overlap or confusion.

This may be Reema's second directorial venture, but she is all set to carve a niche of her own. As Karan Johar is a pro in portraying various shades and intermittance of friendship and love, this lady is a master craftswoman with different interpersonal relationships. Various type of connections exist between two souls and she can understand and direct them very well. Also there is fine detailing in production design. Reema has kept the film as close to reality as possible. There are no item numbers or star specific make-up.

Though the plot is new for the Indian screen, but Kareena's character is very much inspired from a Hollywood movie.

Hats off to Aaamir for constantly spinning out 'different' movies one after another. This is one star who keeps you guessing, even after 24 years!
Ravi N ½ September 8, 2013
Another good Aamir Khan movie, little slow paced, but interesting.
Shweta B July 5, 2013
This movie is a spiritual mystery and really too good. One should watch this movie for mystery. My most favorite movie!
Divya K ½ June 10, 2013
A cop, investigating the mysterious death of a filmstar, meets a sex-worker, while he faces some personal problems psychologically. The mystery connects these people in a way, that ultimately changes their lives.
Aneeroodh S November 26, 2012
If only the rest of the movie were as good as the final twist/reveal. A rather disappointing for a Aamir starer.
Tanmoy C May 10, 2013
Though keeps you intrigued, the script has several flaws. Ultimate not quite satisfying film.
Abhishek M February 21, 2013
I'm not a great Aamir Khan fan but I do like his movies. He's got his own style.

The first half of Talaash was excellent. It was gripping and had all the elements for the perfect second half. A good suspense was created in the first half by leaving things incomplete. But I think the lame second half ruined it all. The movie could've been excellent.

I would give a 4/5 for the first half and 2/5 for the second half. I still thought there would be some twist in the end that would put a full stop to the 'ghost' story. But nothing like that happened.

I was really furious by the end of the movie and I still couldn't believe Aamir Khan actually agreed to do this movie.

Aamir Khan's acting - 10/10. Rani - natural acting. Kareena was okay! Nawazuddin Siddiqui - you rock!!!
Sorve C March 31, 2013
I really want to watch the movie
Mukesh V March 30, 2013
Typical Amir Khan thought provoking flick keeps the audience engrossed through the story. 2nd half gets a tad slow and surprisingly ending up with faith in a supernatural world. Something strange from a man who has been professing modern thinking and progress! Amir stays at the top on his acting and once again has captured South Mumbai in Dhobi Ghat version.
Shaun S March 17, 2013
Kept my attention. I love a good twist, except I usually figure out the twists before they come and with this one I saw it a mile away, but loved it anyway. Good story and I love that Bollywood is doing good movies.