The Talk of the Town - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Talk of the Town Reviews

September 5, 2010
Another of my favourite Cary Grant movies, and Jean Arthur and Ronald Colman movies too. I guess you could just say it's one of my favourite movies! The story is both thrilling and hilarious. Plus, you learn a lot about politics and philosophy and things that people cared about in the forties. I highly recommend this movie.
June 20, 2008
Wonderfully funny even if it does have a very serious point. The three leads do an absolutely brilliant job in conveying a growing relationship and are perhaps one of the only believable and functional threesomes in cinema. The script doesn't drag itself down by having a rivalry breakout between the two males, making this very fresh. The ending goes on a bit even after the point has been made. Awesomely enjoyable stuff.
½ December 31, 2007
The triangle at the heart of this Capraesque film is contrived, Cary Grant is badly miscast and the script too often feels like a vehicle for soapbox sermonising. Despite these problems "Talk of the Town" manages to be likeable and entertaining, due in no small part to the wonderful performances of Ronald Colman and Jean Arthur.
½ June 26, 2010
In "The Talk of the Town," Leopold Dilg(Cary Grant) is in jail, being accused of arson and murder. Facing an impossible trial and a possible death penalty, he does the only sensible thing and escapes, injuring his ankle in the process. He gets as far as the farmhouse of Nora Shelley(Jean Arthur) who takes pity on him and hides him in the attic. At which point, Professor Michael Lightcap(Ronald Colman), the new tenant, arrives a day early. Leopold's lawyer Sam Yates(Edgar Buchanan) sees an opportunity and wants to recruit the renowned law professor to their cause.

"The Talk of the Town" is an enjoyable comedy about a serious subject that is handled well by its very talented cast, even the more improbable parts of the story. Considering how badly activists have been treated in the movies over the years, it is refreshing to have one in Leopold who is so likable.(Well, yes, I know he is played by Cary Grant but at this point, his persona was not frozen in stone, yet.) I also did not realize how rare beards were at the time which is another detail of how brave this movie was. That fits in well with the movie being so much on the side of advocacy and individualism, showing clearly how politics can change people for the better.
April 25, 2014
A great classic dramatic comedy. The aging Ronald Colman has to match wits with the youthful Cary Grant and Jean Arthur is in the middle of it all. Very well performed.
½ September 7, 2011
Still playing catch -up with the work of Cary Grant, this was something that turned up on TCM awhile back and made for a quick little watch in the afternoon.

Jean Arthur is cute as the object of two very different men's affections, with Grant's falsely accused criminal character competing with a law professor on the verge of being nominated for the Supreme Court.

Fun film, well worth a look.
December 17, 2010
This film stars Cary Grant and Ronald Coleman together and is the first film For Ronald Colman that he didn't have top billing. This is an interesting film for the time. The story revolves around an anarchist. Given the time of the films release I cannot decide the anarchist is in fact an anarchist or a Hollywood symbol of communism. Although we as a nation were past the 'red scare' of the 20's we were allied with the communist at this time preceding the 'red scare of the 50's!
It's interesting watching Coleman and Grant act together. I can never wrap my head around it however they work together well. The characters are fairly balanced with Jean Arthur who's style works with either one of the two but foe both, had to be tone down a bit. The film was directed by George Stevens. the mere fact of getting combination of actors to pull this off is a testament to his work.
Besides your run of the mill character actors in this film, you can see a young Lloyd Bridges in a bit part.
November 1, 2009
A delightful comedy drama, what a wonderful cast. Jean Arthur is terrific. Well written, very fast pace, good supporting cast. It's very entertaining.
½ June 5, 2006
Hmm. I seldom dislike Cary Grant or his movies, but something about this movie just didn't sit right with me. I kept expecting it to be better than it was, and then it... wasn't. And the Jean Arthur character irritated me immensely, with all sorts of bizarre quirks and lines that just didn't make much sense. I guess to sum it up, the movie felt sloppy. It was a good idea for what could have been an incredibly engaging film but the dialogue was shoddy and the characters poorly slapped-together. Too bad.
½ August 11, 2015
A fun, worthwhile dramedy which has some unique subtexts for this period.
½ August 17, 2013
I had never even heard of this gem until I randomly stumbled upon it. I'm glad I stumbled upon it because I was laughing a lot within a matter of minutes. It's a very crazy and manic comedy that it is constantly funny and is also bolstered by strong performances across the board. It's a shame that this wonderful comedy hasn't got the attention it deserves because it should be regarded as a classic. If you enjoy a good comedy from the golden era, this is definitely one worth seeing.
July 14, 2013
The set up this movie went on for a while. It made the first half feel very slow. It paid off pretty well in the second half as there was good character development by the time the story started really rolling, and there was a bunch of plot points put together to make some nice complications. It took a while, but it was a good screwball comedy.
April 2, 2013
This is a movie starring three of the greatest voices in the history of cinema, Ronald Coleman, Cary Grant and Jean Arthur. Cary Grant is falsely accused of murder, and Jean Arthur believes in his innocence and enlists law professor Ronald Coleman to aid in his defense. There is a touching romantic triangle and Jean Arthur has to decide between the two of them. Those responsible for the movie supposedly filmed two versions and had to decide which was the best. This is an elegant, thoughtful, appealing movie.
½ July 27, 2012
Even though it's mostly a drama, it possesses all the basic features of a genuine screwball comedy too. While the story is perfectly adequate, lighthearted and even moralizing in its nature, this whimsy drama's biggest quality comes from the top-notch performances by Cary Grant, Jean Arthur and Ronald Colman. Witty in its dialogues, fancy in its storytelling, The Talk of the Town is definitely one of the most sincere and, a the same time, the most laughable and effective films of the Golden Era of Hollywood.
June 3, 2012
This is a very good, entertaining movie.
June 6, 2012
"the talk of the town" has a lot of quirky humor that anyone who loves 1940s screwball comedies will appreciate. though the film isn't necessarily a comedy, it just has a wonderful sense of humor.
July 12, 2011
How was the country diverting itself from heart wrenching reports from the battle front of early World War II ? Going to the movies was one way and in 1942 that might mean seeing this movie, which was nominated for 6 Academy awards including Best Picture. Leopold Dilg (Cary Grant) is being accused of burning down the town factory when all he did was speak out against the bad conditions there. Professor Michael Lightcap (Ronald Coleman), a legal scholar who is destined for the Supreme Court, happens to be in town and is planning to rent Miss Nora Shelley's (Jean Arthur) house where Dilg is hiding out after he broke out of jail when he realized he wasn't going to get a fair trial since the owner of the factory (who it turns out arranged the fire) has turned the local town into a blood thirsty mob out for Dilg. At first it looks like it is going to be light comedy with hiding, close calls, police and blood hounds almost catching the fugitive and then it seems to be turning into a law and order theme. When Dilg pretends he is Joseph the gardener, he and Lightcap actually get to know each other and really like each other. In fact, these two men have a strong bonding as did Lightcap and his black man servant (Rex Ingram) who shed a few tears when his boss was going to shave his beard. As touching as this man to man stuff may have been, it is clear that the real romantic feelings are coming from Miss Shelley (attractive loveable wide-eyed Arthur). She is falling in love but it really isn't clear which of these leading men it might be with. The finale of the movie while somewhat overly dramatic has s a moving speech by Lightcap (as Coleman really gets into it) and he emotionally reminds everyone about the American form of justice (and without saying it is reminding everyone in the audience about one of the reason that we were fighting the war). There was the final touch where we almost don't know who Miss Shelley is going to end up with (could this be the first time Cary Grant doesn't win the girl?) and all ends well.
March 30, 2011
Good old wholesome fun. The Talk of the Town is hilarious, and by far one of my favorites.
November 16, 2010