Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby Reviews

July 28, 2012
A film with just as much obnoxious hysteria than the main character. Will Ferrell provides a flavorful laughter that sticks to you no matter the amount of random-pun it may present. The enticing blend of comedy and racing is an excellent motion picture that reaches the finish line in grand fashion. 5/5
August 27, 2007
Ferrell films can vary from one end of the scale to the other, he can be funny and ingenious or a complete annoying twat, unfortunately many of his films do come under the 'annoying twat' label for me.

This is not funny, Ferrell's worst by far, it may be because car racing just isn't a great source material for a comedy, I dunno. Cohen is very good as the French racer, he comes across quite well, almost like a kind of dastardly Disney baddie in the realms of 'Thorndyke' in 'The Love Bug' but the rest is just silly and simply unfunny.

The characters are all rather un-likeable too, it just seems Ferrell is trying to make a comedy out of every 'sport', and this isn't even an interesting 'sport', NASCAR is dull dull dull if you ask me, but I am British, if you like this type of racing you may like it.
½ January 28, 2012
Terrible funny!
Directors Cat
½ January 4, 2012
It isn't consistent with its laughs like McKay's other movies; Anchorman and Step Brothers but it's a pretty good comedy flick with great performances from its star studded cast.
December 2, 2011
Gonna be honest (always am), I did not like this film upon first viewing. Maybe I had too high of an expectation, but I felt let down. The film wasn't smooth and stalled a little too much for my liking. However, the film has some great comedy and I have learned to like it after watching it for a 2nd time.
TheDudeLebowski65
August 29, 2011
Of all the films that Will Ferrell has made, Talladega Night is one of my personal favorites. I thought the film was very funny, and was a lot of fun. The film works well because there's a good cast starring opposite Ferrell. First off, I don't hate Farrell, I find him to be repetitive, and I did not like whatsoever films such as Anchorman, Semi Pro, Blades of Glory and Step Brothers because I felt he was basically playing the same character. But he does make me laugh at times, I enjoyed him in Old School (hell he was the reason he made film watchable), Night at the Roxbury and The Other Guys to name a few. Also I really did enjoy him in this film as well. This is a fun comedy that has plenty of funny parts. The cast opposite Ferrell are just as crazy as he is. A notable performance is that of Gary Cole as Reese Bobby, Ricky Bobby's (Ferrell) alcoholic semi professional race car driver and amateur tattoo artist. Another worthy performance is that of Sasha Baron Cohen who is eccentric in the role of gay French race car driver, Jean Girard. The film isn't perfect, but for the most part, it's a fun filled comedy with good laughs. I really enjoyed this film and I think it's because of the terrific cast who all deliver something wacky on screen that really makes the difference. Talladega Nights is a film that's not meant to be taken seriously whatsoever, if you're expecting a clever, witty and smartly crafted film, you won't find it here. Of every one of Ferrell's clichéd films, this is the film that I enjoyed the most. A good little comedy for what it is, but nothing great or "genius" as his diehard fans would say.
michael e.
½ July 22, 2011
To me NASCAR is one of the most boring things to watch, but the movies on racing and NASCAR are awesome, and this movie is definitely no exception, in fact, I'd say its one of the funniest and best racing films of all time, and one of the funniest movies of Will Ferrel's carrier. To me everything in this film works, the timing of the lines, the jokes are all hysterical, the acting is fun and entertaining, and some of the racing is pretty entertaining. Sacha Baron Cohen as always is fantastic, though I wish I could here what he actually sounded like rather than an accent like in every movie he is in. This is also to me one of the most quotable comedies of all time, my favorite line being by Cohens character "Hakuna Matata, BEETCHES."
½ January 22, 2011
Another hilarious comedy from Adam McKay that ranks right up there next to Anchorman, but not quite as good.
DreamExtractor
March 5, 2011
Talledaga nights is a party. Ricky Bobby (Will Ferell) grew up wanting to go fast, and soon he becomes the worlds most famous racecar driver. When a French gay racer named Jean Girard beats him, Ricky goes downhill and loses his wife, his best friend Cal (John C Reilly), and his life. With the help of his father, new love Susan (Amy Adams), and his team he may be able to become a star again. Will Ferell and John C Reilly are perfect toghether, and if you know me you know I am one of Will Ferells biggest fans, I have never seen a film of his I did not find funny (besides Land of the Lost). Its always a blast watching this, and its funny enough to love.
murphmann93
June 23, 2011
Quite funny and silly but I laughed. Some of the line are hilarious. Will Ferrell is nothing short of hilarious. Great film and a must see for people who haven't watched this!
jamers2011
½ August 22, 2010
This movie had many smart and funny moments. However, the film tried too hard to be funny at times, and ended up missing the mark.
January 9, 2010
This pretty much takes everything considered white trash and throws it into one extravaganza of laughs. While a lot of this is a parody of Days of Thunder and just the idea of Nascar in general, it really has it's own idea about the life of a man too fast for his own good. Will Ferrell's complete and utter commitment to the hillbilly character of Ricky Bobby is amazingly funny, but it's only made better with the great supporting cast. His chemistry with John C. Reilly is what makes the shake and bake team something you can believe. This could've been just a giant white trash joke, but it's not. There's something really heartfelt and true about this that makes it a lot better than it needed to be. It's extremely good looking for a comedy and delivers a great pacing that allows you to spend two hours with the characters and not even feel like it's been an hour.
½ April 4, 2011
Absolutely hilarious. That's really all that needs to be said.
May 28, 2007
A bit of fun with which to pass a weekend evening when there's no Formula One on. Sacha Baron Cohen's character is indeed fantastic as the French F1 nemesis of NASCAR champ Ricky Bobby. Otherwise this is just the usual super-silly American family comedy.
June 25, 2010
this movie is really funny. it's not as stupid as his other movies but it's still stupid. I mean all this in a good way. this movie is hilarious. I really liked it a lot and I think it's almost as good as anchorman or as good but it's hard to say. B+
½ January 13, 2010
Hilarious Movie! After will's anchorman, I found myself thinking that he was going to fall apart, even though I do like anchorman! However, despite everything I thought, I was hugely wrong, and I was highly entertained by this film!
June 21, 2007
If NASCAR was more like this, I would be a serious fan. Only Will Ferrell could have pulled this movie off. It's his typical comic style, so don't even bother with it if you're not a fan, but for me, only Anchorman is funnier. Hilarious!
arashxak
½ November 25, 2009
Could this be more boring? or dumber? or unfunnier?
½ August 15, 2009
I grew up in Talladega County, Alabama....Sylacauge to be exact, and it's still where my heart is. For that reason only I wanted to see this movie, but it's one of the worst I've ever seen. I don't like Will Ferrell, he tries way too hard and it usually doesn't work.
December 22, 2007
I didn't get this movie at all. I seriously thought the humor was blah, not funny. Not even close to stupid funny. I don't know why everyone loves it so much. I have to admit I'm not a fan of Will Ferrell, but at least I can say he was funny in Step Brothers.