Weekly Ketchup: Disney Schedules Zootopia for 2016

Summary

The Dog Days of Summer brought us and Hollywood a sort of "meh" week in movie development news stories. Included in the mix in this week's Ketchup, however, are stories involving one of Disney's big animated movies for 2016 (Zootopia), new projects for directors Darren Aronofsky and the directors of Mud and Oblivion, and new roles for Vin Diesel and Kristen Wiig. Back to Article

Comments

Frisby2007

Top Story:

Read "CGI animated movie" from Disney, lost almost all interest in it. Though one thing will be hilarious about this film, it's that all those "anti-furfags/furries" preachers are going to flip their shit over this movie.

Also, anything with Planes or anything involving ugly, anthropomorphic animated vehicles should be on the rotten area, not Top News.

Nothing else is interesting this week.

Aug 16 - 05:10 PM

Willem DaPerson

C'mon, your bias towards CG is unbecoming. Disney haven't made bad film since 2008, and your lack of appreciation is really grating at times. I don't want to be a douche, but you're limiting yourself, and that's not a good thing. Same could be said for your lack of interest in any stories.

Aug 16 - 05:34 PM

Frisby 2007

Since Fantasia 2000, Disney's only good animated films have been The Emperor's New Groove, Lilo & Stitch, The Princess & the Frog, Tangled, Winnie the Pooh, & Frankenweenie.

Sorry, I don't appreciate cash-grabbing schemes nor do I wish to work with them.

And, I normally talk about the others stories on here, but since there is nothing interesting, I don't bother.

Aug 16 - 06:00 PM

Willem DaPerson

I know, but speaking simply within the Animated Classics Canon, Wreck-It Ralph was great, as was Bolt. I'm glad you enjoyed Emperor's and Princess though, as they're some of my favourites, and I feel they don't get enough love.

Aug 16 - 06:07 PM

Frisby 2007

I can't say my full thoughts on Wreck-it-Ralph, because I only saw the first half of that (and it was a highly uninteresting & predictable first half), & Bolt was about as interesting & original as That 101 Dalmations straight to DVD sequel.

The only reason The Princess & the Frog doesn't get enough love was because of a bunch of idiots that unnecessarily compare it to Disney's 90s films (which is just as great) or the crap from Pixar (as if that company has ever made anything close to the magic of a Disney film).

Ironic, The Emperor's new Groove is almost praised everywhere I go & see it's name mentioned.

Aug 16 - 06:16 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Wreck it Ralph was anything but uninteresting. It was one of the most original and creative movies I've seen in a while.

Aug 16 - 06:48 PM

King  S.

King Simba

I thought the rating given to Princess and the Frog was pretty fair. It's a charming little film and the animation is beautiful, but it doesn't quite reach the emotional heights of the Disney films in the 90s or Pixar. Heck, since John Lasseter became Chief Creative Officer I think it's the second weakest film made since then ahead of only Meet the Robinsons, though that still makes it better than most of what Disney made before then. It also deserved a lot better than to get outgrossed by Alvin and the Chipmunks 2.

Also, I thought you'd be more excited for Zootopia given that it's from the director of Tangled, the one CGI film you actually love.

Aug 17 - 01:45 AM

Willem DaPerson

This animation elitism is really not a good trait in what should be a fair and balanced understanding of films. I prefer Disney films to Pixar myself, but I still acknowledge that Pixar have made more great films in the last decade than jut about anybody else.

Aug 17 - 07:48 AM

@Simba

Princess & the Frog > anything Pixar has made.

And I don't really care who directs what film at Disney, unless it's Clements & Musker, but because it's directed by the guy who directed Tangled doesn't cover the fact that they still refuse to make more 2D. Zootopia sounds interesting, that's it, & unless they even bother to use Meander for that (the closest it'll get to hand drawn) then maybe my interest in it will rise more.

Aug 17 - 02:15 PM

@Lance

Yeah, i did. Am I suddenly supposed to be off the walls excited for it because of that?

Aug 17 - 02:16 PM

@Joseph

The only company I've seen make good films in the past decade is Ghibli. Pixar, with the exception of Wall-E, The Incredibles, & Monsters Inc, have made nothing but films that have bored me (don't even get me started on Cars).

Aug 17 - 02:18 PM

Willem DaPerson

You're thoughts on Pixar are akin to your thoughts on The Dark knight Trilogy: Irrational and hateful. A lot of your hatred for these films boils down too much to your personal preference which, while important in judging a film, leads, in this case, to you unfairly criticising a number of great films.

Aug 17 - 02:58 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Well, that's you opinion. Personally for me, while it was a charming film nothing really hit me as hard emotionally as say the opening of Finding Nemo, the marriage life scene of Up, the climax of Toy Story 3, any scene between Wall-e and Eve and so on.

And wait, are you saying that if they take the story of Zootopia and not change a single thing about it except what animation technique was used that automatically makes it much better?

Aug 17 - 02:59 PM

@Joseph

I don't have any hate towards The Dark knight Trilogy (though that second one lacks most of the fun & thrills the other two have despite Ledger's performance), & I don't want to continue on that subject because it'll get way out of topic. And again, I don't have any reason to not show hatefulness to a studio that supposedly has 'huge fans' of old school Disney that don't bother to show it.

Aug 17 - 08:04 PM

@Simba

I didn't say anything about making it better. Where dd you read that? I say that if the animation technique was changed that maybe MY INTEREST IN IT will rise. Not make it better.

Aug 17 - 08:06 PM

Willem DaPerson

Why should they go about making a film in one style, when the other is just as good, and probably has more appeal these days? It's nothing to complain about, but you make out like it's hurting Disney, or doing fans a disservice.

Aug 18 - 04:30 PM

Frisby 2007

As a fan, they're certainly doing a disservice, & that happens to be putting hand drawn animation further into it's already bad state of life support that it's in.

Aug 18 - 07:21 PM

Willem DaPerson

I disagree, as long as Ghibli (And indeed, anime in general) are around, 2D animation (Hand-drawn is long gone) will be perfectly fine.

Aug 19 - 08:20 AM

Josiah Coulter

Josiah Coulter

Jeeze, who pissed in your coffee? Disney has been doing a fantastic job as of late. The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, and Wreck-It Ralph were all FANTASTIC (yes, Wreck-It Ralph was incredible whether you think so or not). And WTF, how can you call Pixar crap? Sure they have had some missteps (every studio has), but Finding Nemo, WALL-E, Up, Monsters Inc, and the Toy Story films are right up there with The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, and Aladdin. They are gorgeous, emotional films!

Aug 17 - 12:03 PM

They're garbage!

Aug 17 - 02:18 PM

Andrew StClair

Andrew StClair

Nearly every Pixar movie > Princess and the Frog. Let's be honest for a second and disregard the idea of it using traditional animation. Princess and the Frog was not particularly a good movie. It was a jumbled mess that presented people with a story that was interesting, and then ruined it with a story that wasn't. No good songs. Bad supporting characters. Really not much to like about the movie. That's the truth about that movie, and that's the truth about animated movies in general.

The truth is, animation style is hardly relevant. What's relevant is quality. A crappy story is a crappy story, regardless of the animation, and a crappy story is what Princess and the Frog had. Wreck-it-Ralph, Tangled, Bolt were all easily better than Princess and the Frog.

Also, I just want to mention that if you don't like cash grabbing schemes, then you probably should stop watching big studio movies in general. Or using internet pages, or... well, a large number of things.

Aug 17 - 04:47 PM

Frisby 2007

The Princess & the Frog, a crappy story, bad songs, bad supporting characters, ¬ much to like?! HAH! Best joke I've heard in months. Next you're gonna tell me that Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was great, & that people just didn't understand it.

Also, I mean cash grabbing schemes when it comes to animation (further putting hand drawn in life support). I could give less of s shit about schemes when it comes to remakes, trailers, commercials, etc.

Aug 17 - 08:10 PM

Josiah Coulter

Josiah Coulter

Ugh, YOU are garbage. Those films are perfect. So much better than The Princess and the Frog!

Aug 17 - 11:05 PM

Josiah Coulter

Josiah Coulter

Not to mention, as fun and colorful and groundbreaking as The Little Mermaid was, it has one of the most anti-feminist storylines EVER. It TRIED to take a step forward, but really just took a few steps back in that department.

Aug 17 - 11:07 PM

Andrew StClair

Andrew StClair

Nope. I've never seen any of the Transformers movies, but since you have not refuted anything I've said about the Princess and the Frog, then I can say that what I posted was in no way false. The Princess and the Frog was not a good movie. Randy Newman does not write good songs. They had a perfectly cool story about a black who wanted to open up her own restaurant in the 1920s that got overshadowed by a gimmick of her becoming a frog. Her best friend was the only likeable side character.

It's good to see that your only attempt to support Princess and the Frog was to try to discredit me in someway. And in your attempt, you've chosen a movie that I have never seen. From a series of movies that I have never seen. From a director who's movies I have only seen one of. So, go ahead and try again. Pick another movie you think I've seen in your attempt to discredit me, rather than prove that anything I've said about the Princess and the Frog is wrong.

Also, the Princess and the Frog was a cash grabbing scheme.

Aug 17 - 11:34 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

ARE YOU KIDDING?????????FINDING NEMO, TOY STORY 1, 2, 3 ARE CLASSICS!!!!!!! as are The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King.

Aug 19 - 11:47 AM

Meh week is right.

Top Story: I think this is a great idea. Disney have been on fire since Bolt, and the fact that the people behind Tangled are in on this makes me very, very excited.

Fresh
Top Story: I love this idea. Disney has been on a hot streak since Bolt, and the fact that the people behind Tangled gives me high, high hopes.

Fresh
No. 1: Anything with Aronofsky is bound to be interesting. How has been approached to do what is essentially a summer blockbuster so many times though?

No. 2: I like Kirsten Dunst, even if she's not the most talented or versatile actress, she gets the job done. This being a Nichols film however, I expect the best.

No. 3: I don't quite know how to feel about this.

No. 4: This sounds great, but it has all the potential in the world to fail.

No. 5: Groot wouldn't have been my first pick (Again: Dormammu!), but it's some pretty great casting, nevertheless.

Rotten
No. 4: As long as Duncan Jones gets work (Be it Warcraft or not), I'll be satisfied. I think most studios would be wise to pair up with Disney. They give their individual wards room to breathe (Pixar and Marvel), and it's made them a killing.

No. 3: I like Vin Diesel, but I just can't drum up any excitement, or scorn, or anything for this film.

No. 2: Good God no.

No. 1: Warner Brothers are getting desperate, and it's showing.

Aug 16 - 05:15 PM

Doreen Finley

Doreen Finley

my best friend's mother makes $66/hr on the computer. She has been fired from work for 9 months but last month her income was $20974 just working on the computer for a few hours. Go to this web site and read more..>>> w瓀瓀.c璶璶񩧿.c璷璵

Aug 19 - 11:48 AM

Aug 16 - 05:34 PM

Aug 16 - 06:00 PM

Aug 16 - 06:07 PM

Aug 16 - 06:16 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Aug 16 - 06:48 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Aug 17 - 01:45 AM

Aug 17 - 07:48 AM

@Simba

Princess & the Frog > anything Pixar has made.

Aug 17 - 02:15 PM

Aug 17 - 08:06 PM

Aug 18 - 04:30 PM

Aug 18 - 07:21 PM

Aug 19 - 08:20 AM

Elizabeth Anthony

Elizabeth Anthony

Do not support corporate greed. Let Disney go bankrupt so that arthouse films such as I Spit on Your Grave 2 can thrive.

Aug 16 - 05:37 PM

Willem DaPerson

Yeah, let's all show how cool and reflexive we are!

Aug 16 - 05:38 PM

Frisby 2007

Isn't this person always like this?

Aug 16 - 06:17 PM

Yep...

Aug 17 - 07:43 AM

EdP-Review

edgar perez

"corporate greed"... its easy to call it that when you dont have your own company. lets see when and if you do, if you dont spend every dollar you can on publicity and marketing to promote your products.

Aug 16 - 07:36 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Your definition of art house films is definitely different than mine! The term 'art house' and horror films usually don't go with one another in the same sentence!

Aug 16 - 09:56 PM

Willem DaPerson

Yeah, let's all show how cool and reflexive we are!

Aug 16 - 05:38 PM

Frisby 2007

Isn't this person always like this?

Aug 16 - 06:17 PM

Yep...

Aug 17 - 07:43 AM

Jeff Goldeneye

Life Finds a Way

Sorry ah RT but I ah find the ah rotten #1 to be the ah freshest development ah here.

Aug 16 - 05:39 PM

Aug 16 - 06:00 PM

Aug 16 - 06:07 PM

Aug 16 - 06:16 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Aug 16 - 06:48 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Aug 17 - 01:45 AM

Aug 17 - 07:48 AM

@Simba

Princess & the Frog > anything Pixar has made.

Aug 17 - 02:15 PM

Aug 18 - 04:30 PM

Aug 18 - 07:21 PM

Aug 19 - 08:20 AM

Aug 16 - 06:07 PM

Aug 16 - 06:16 PM

Frisby 2007

Isn't this person always like this?

Aug 16 - 06:17 PM

Yep...

Aug 17 - 07:43 AM

Marc Cerone

Marc "Cerone" Chaudry

Planes 2........ Reeeeeeeally???

Aug 16 - 06:21 PM

Frisby 2007

That's news from like 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Aug 16 - 06:28 PM

Jason B.

Jason Black

Disney Toons (the production company that made the Planes movie) originally planned the spin-off as a straight to DVD trilogy. I think they're already done with all three of the movies or at least very far ahead. It was a last minute decision to give the Planes movies theatrical releases and the box office doesn't really matter on them since they were all made with a low straight to dvd budget.

Aug 16 - 08:26 PM

Keith Allison

Keith Allison

Dane Cook's got to eat.

Aug 17 - 08:08 AM

Willem DaPerson

The souls of little children.

Aug 18 - 04:30 PM

J.D Dean

J.D Dean

Anyone else think that Josh Gad's new movie sounds pretty similar to I Love You Man?

Aug 16 - 06:27 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

Critics Consensus